Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

a real hero

Search this Thread

Old 27 June 2012, 09:29 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a real hero

this shows a real hero not the normal footballer/popstar etc...
have got many mates that are missing limbs from tours and have seen how much courage it takes to not give up.the role of the medics and recovery staff is huge to help get our lads and lasses back to some sort of life after horrific injuries which is why people giving is so important (as our government dont give a **** ) so please think next time you see someone from h4h etc...
and if you would like to help please look at care for casualties which is the rifles charity.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

OK, much as I respect the soldiers, sailors and airmen who do a great JOB for the UK, I have to take issue with the idea that, somehow, they are all heros.

And more so because they got injured in the carrying out of the job.

I'm sorry, but a hero is someone who does MORE.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:39 AM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

to some people he is a hero as he has not let being injured stop him and easy for people to say "he's not a hero etc" when they havnt been there themselves.nice show of some respect mate.

Last edited by marcevs72; 27 June 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:41 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Without wishing to pick an argument with Alcazar, I think anyone who puts their life on the line in persuit of a mere "job" deserves the accolade of Hero.

What more can you do than offer your life?
Old 27 June 2012, 11:43 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[zips flame suit up] Have to agree with alcazar [/zips flame suit up]
Old 27 June 2012, 11:46 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

A proper legend bless him!

You should know how passionate we are about Help for hero's here at the clinic, if not here is the car we have donated to them along with full support.

The lads are legends! Nuff said!
Old 27 June 2012, 12:00 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Actually, before the flames start - yes this man was brave as all the lads out at war are, but are they all Heros? I'm guessing the answer for the most part will be no.
Although the chap in the picture may well be a hero, i don't know his particular story, but if he was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time then that would surely make him brave and unlucky - on the other hand, if he was pulling a fellow injured soldier out of the firing line with no regard for his own life then the hero label will be justified
Old 27 June 2012, 12:01 PM
marcevs72
Scooby Regular

we dont want to be called heros's etc its the likes of the press that do that.we just do our job,a job a lot of people cant do.a job that means everyday on tour is a limb lottery and its when you see people like this it gives a sense of hope that life goes on if the **** hits the fan.the support of the forces charities plays a great part in helping our guys when they get home.i am not a hero and would never want to be called one,i just did my job and looked after my mates.
in answer to above post a lot of injuries are caused by secondary ied's going off.the ied's are laid in such a way to get not just one person but to get the lads trying to save them.

Last edited by marcevs72; 27 June 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 12:15 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Undoubtedly a very brave and courageous man.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that the word 'hero' is used a lot lately, I have the utmost respect for all our men and women serving in the armed forces, I'm ex Royal Navy myself, but I'm sure not every soldier killed is actually a hero.
Old 27 June 2012, 12:15 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alcazar
OK, much as I respect the soldiers, sailors and airmen who do a great JOB for the UK, I have to take issue with the idea that, somehow, they are all heros.

And more so because they got injured in the carrying out of the job.

I'm sorry, but a hero is someone who does MORE.
he put his life on the line to protect people like YOU and got badly injured doing so.

of course they are all heros!!!!
Old 27 June 2012, 12:17 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Like i say - brave lads - more so than i will ever be
Old 27 June 2012, 12:22 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
he put his life on the line to protect people like YOU and got badly injured doing so.

of course they are all heros!!!!
Actually he didn't get injured to protect us, what they're doing over there is not protecting us directly.

In fact you may argue that their mere presence there actually increases the risk of attack over here - although thast doesn't make it their fault.
Old 27 June 2012, 12:33 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hanley
Actually he didn't get injured to protect us, what they're doing over there is not protecting us directly.

In fact you may argue that their mere presence there actually increases the risk of attack over here - although thast doesn't make it their fault.
possibly but they are putting their life on the line everyday, whatever the cause.

makes them all hero's to me
Old 27 June 2012, 12:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Inspiring comes to mind in a human achievement sort of way

Hero ? Goodness knows
Old 27 June 2012, 01:22 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

http://www.wimp.com/secrethero/
Old 27 June 2012, 01:31 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

There are a lot of gutless w@nkers expressing their views on this thread and you are one of them.
Old 27 June 2012, 01:43 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrmadcap
There are a lot of gutless w@nkers expressing their views on this thread and you are one of them.
How does me expressing my opinion make me a ******? You don't know anything about me.

Have you served in the armed forces? I have and as I said earlier I have respect for all men and women who are currently serving all over the world.

What I stated was my political opinion that the presence of UK forces in that region more than likely increases the risk of an attack on UK soil. How do you translate that to a slur on the armed forces?
Old 27 June 2012, 02:16 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by marcevs72
a job a lot of people cant do
Really? can't or more like don't need to.... to be a soldier you need to be 16 or over, need a medical certificate from a doctor and no qualifications.... that isn't setting a very high bar. I have respect for everyone that serves in operational theatres but let's not over inflate their sense of pride into a default hero status.
Old 27 June 2012, 02:18 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by marcevs72
this shows a real hero not the normal footballer/popstar etc...
have got many mates that are missing limbs from tours and have seen how much courage it takes to not give up.the role of the medics and recovery staff is huge to help get our lads and lasses back to some sort of life after horrific injuries which is why people giving is so important (as our government dont give a **** ) so please think next time you see someone from h4h etc...
and if you would like to help please look at care for casualties which is the rifles charity.
That took some effort.... but this fella was determined (look at his face) he would have done the entire journey by himself if they'd have let him
Old 27 June 2012, 02:45 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Every serving armed personel is a hero to this country and that of others countries. Regardless what your rank is be it a private, general, flt lt, major admiral etc those guys and girls are out there putting there life before mine and yours which is more than what our goverment would do. I can understand on a medical profesion its a hard job saving soliders lifes. Just because some are less fortunate then others dosent mean they are more of a hero. There all the same people and deserve more respect than anything. Just a shame they get crap pay yet footballers get paid stupid amounts for kicking a bloody ball around..

Overall simple fact is there all heros regardless

Rip fallen soliders they will never be forgotten
Old 27 June 2012, 02:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a mindbendingly stupid thing to say!

You as an ex navy man should know better than that even if you have never had the chance to shine as he did.

He was doing his duty when he was blown up by the landmine and he deserves full kudos for that.

On top of that, he was utterly determined to carry that torch despite the extreme difficulty that posed for him, and he succeeded too.

He deserves all the praise for doing that too, not the mealy mouthed criticism and efforts to decry his great effort which seems to be all you can produce!

Les
Old 27 June 2012, 02:54 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Respect "yes" hero status by default "no"...... but that's just my opinion.
Old 27 June 2012, 02:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what I find amazing is why they do it

given the fact that, as the OP correctly states "our government don’t give a ****"

Witnessed by the fact that the overwhelming majority of homeless people are ex servicemen.

It seems they get very little out of it

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 27 June 2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 03:05 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What a mindbendingly stupid thing to say!

You as an ex navy man should know better than that even if you have never had the chance to shine as he did.

He was doing his duty when he was blown up by the landmine and he deserves full kudos for that.

On top of that, he was utterly determined to carry that torch despite the extreme difficulty that posed for him, and he succeeded too.

He deserves all the praise for doing that too, not the mealy mouthed criticism and efforts to decry his great effort which seems to be all you can produce!

Les
Les you completely missed my point.

It was more of a political view and that view is that our armed forces who are currently serving over there, who I respect fully and they are extremely brave, are not there to directly protect the population of the UK.

If you read my earlier posts in this thread you will see, as an ex-serviceman, I have complete respect and admiration for all who serve for Queen and Country and not once have I criticised his efforts.

Please read and understand posts before criticising.
Old 27 June 2012, 03:13 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Undoubtedly a very brave and courageous man.

I think the point some people are trying to make is that the word 'hero' is used a lot lately, I have the utmost respect for all our men and women serving in the armed forces, I'm ex Royal Navy myself, but I'm sure not every soldier killed is actually a hero.
How does me expressing my opinion make me a ******? You don't know anything about me.

Have you served in the armed forces? I have and as I said earlier I have respect for all men and women who are currently serving all over the world.

What I stated was my political opinion that the presence of UK forces in that region more than likely increases the risk of an attack on UK soil. How do you translate that to a slur on the armed forces?
Yes Les.

I can see where you think all I can produce is mealy mouthed criticism

Last edited by Hanley; 27 June 2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 27 June 2012, 07:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Respect "yes" hero status by default "no"...... but that's just my opinion.
+1, hero is a very overused word these days but I do admire the sheer determination of the guy to do what he did and wish him all the best in the future.
Old 27 June 2012, 07:53 PM
mrmadcap
Scooby Regular

Most of you are basking in the uk lifestyle and society without fear, others arrive in the uk as immigrants or asylum seekers to take advantage of what others have fought and died for to preserve. Let's not forget that you arrogant bunch of tossers.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:21 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I think we can settle this one fairly simply;

Dictionary definition of hero - A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

It boils my **** to see the media refer to some waste of oxygen celebrity be described as brave or heroic because they manage a smile after their latest failed relationship etc.
Old 27 June 2012, 11:30 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
I think we can settle this one fairly simply;

Dictionary definition of hero - A person, typically a man, who is admired for courage or noble qualities.

It boils my **** to see the media refer to some waste of oxygen celebrity be described as brave or heroic because they manage a smile after their latest failed relationship etc.
completely agree with yo

"Most of you are basking in the uk lifestyle and society without fear, others arrive in the uk as immigrants or asylum seekers to take advantage of what others have fought and died for to preserve. Let's not forget that you arrogant bunch of tossers."

So completely mixed up its not true , but anyway not going to argue - yo clearly have involvement
Old 28 June 2012, 12:04 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Most of you are basking in the uk lifestyle and society without fear, others arrive in the uk as immigrants or asylum seekers to take advantage of what others have fought and died for to preserve. Let's not forget that you arrogant bunch of tossers.
Oh peerrrrrleeeeese - Yes they are brave but............
A lad i know is a complete fcukwit of the highest order. He bullied people at school and then joined the army sohe could be a big man and turned into an even bigger fcukwit who liked nothing better than cracking heads back home when he had leave. He's done a couple of tours and has come back in one piece each time so he can crack more heads and i dare say he only joined up so he could get paid to shoot people. Would he be a hero if he got taken out by an IED? No - it would be the best thing to happen to the ****. There are Heros in the forces but you can be damn sure that this particular character is by no stretch - unique! So there you go Tosser

Quick Reply: a real hero