Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Digibox

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 10:18 AM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Sky rang us yesterday to offer us an extended warranty on our digibox at the discount rate of £90!!! for 5 years.

My immediate reaction to extended warranties (unless they are free) is bugger off. Everything has a 1 year guarantee anyway and if the digibox went after 1 year I'd just cancel my subscription. I'm sure sky have a customer retention department

What do you think?
Old 08 May 2002, 10:29 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Tell them to shove it. If it goes wrong, cancel the subscription and take out another one and you'll get another digibox.
Old 08 May 2002, 10:30 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

My Pace box is slow and basically sucks anyway, I wish it would blow up
Old 08 May 2002, 10:34 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Think yourself lucky -- mine's an Amstrad one. Got a stack of audio separates with an Amstrad box sat on top of it
Old 08 May 2002, 10:39 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Amstrad Sorry

Blimey, like parking a Sinclair C5 next to your Scoob on the drive
Old 08 May 2002, 11:35 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

SKY are sending out loads of reconditioned boxes at the moment, it's best to go to a local dealer who installs SKY. You then ensure of getting a new box not an old Amstrad.
Old 08 May 2002, 12:15 PM
Ex-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

The Amstrad boxes (not Sky Plus ones) have a design flaw where it overheats, and one of the capacitors goes in the dish connection, causing them to stop working after about a year or so. Sky have been afflicted with literally thousands of these, and are basically just swapping them with "fixed" ones (which often aren't ). That'll be why they're doing this offer...

If you're happy to go through the hassle of cancelling, then re-connecting and paying the installation fee again then you'll be ok (unless it goes before the first 12 months has passed).

Normally I'd say stuff it to guarantees on electronics things with no moving parts, but I'm not so sure on the Sky Boxes, as if it's Amstrad (or even some early Pace boxes) then it will go wrong...

Richard

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2002, 12:21 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The Amstrad boxes (not Sky Plus ones) have a design flaw where it overheats, and one of the capacitors goes in the dish connection, causing them to stop working after about a year or so.
We're hoping to move house soon, so will need a new installation then anyway. What you're saying doesn't surprise me as the box runs incredibly hot.
Old 08 May 2002, 01:18 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mine went wrong, 18 months old, they wouldn't fix it unless I paid £60 fixed fee.

You can't cancel and re-subscribe because they know you've already been a customer (I tried that one )

Ended up fixing mine myself with a modification kit.

Old 08 May 2002, 01:20 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

So if you cancel (which you're entitled to do after the initial 12 months), then a fortnight later phone up and say you'd like to subscribe, they'll refuse to take your 40 quid a month (or whatever it is)? If you've cancelled, they're no longer getting any money out of you
Old 08 May 2002, 02:59 PM
Doc
Scooby Regular

Cool

My box is a Sony, thank god its not an amstrad I'd have to hide it!

To be honest if Sky wouldn't let me resubscribe it wouldn't be a great loss. Its nice to have Sky but I could easily live without it.
Old 08 May 2002, 03:03 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

When I was at uni I knew someone who had an 'Alba' tape deck (70s stylee with brushed ali finish). But being a snob, he'd got the 'Sony' badge off the front of a telly and stuck it over the Alba badge.

I'll have to see if I can get salsa-king to knock up a Denon badge for me or something. Probably wouldn't be too convincing if I stuck something like a TAG-McLaren Audio badge over it
Old 08 May 2002, 03:16 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Carl

Yup thats basically what they told me

Seems stoopid don't it? I really thought they would treat me a bit special when I said, ok then, if you can't fix my box for free I'll cancel my subscription....Ok they said, last payment will be end of the month

Guess they called my bluff

Anyway, after I fixed the box they "kindly" reconnected me FOC and waived the administration fee
Old 08 May 2002, 10:54 PM
Victoria
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

We had exactly the same problem. Our Sony box keeps malfunctioning so we rang Sky and they said it would be at least £100 for an engineer to come out. We then said we would cancel our subscription and the person on the phone said that was fine. There was no encouragement to stay with them at all. We thought they would value our £38 per month, but apparently not.

(We did by the way, because the rest of them providers are crap.)
Old 08 May 2002, 11:25 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Victoria:

Sky will repair any box for £60? My Amstrad digibox went wrong and they sent out an engineer to repair it, and in the end replaced it with a Sony one.

Steve.

Join the campaign: http://www.GetEdenbridgeADSL.co.uk
Old 09 May 2002, 11:07 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

My Amstrad went wrong just out of guarantee and they told me it would be 3 months before they could fix it and I would have to carry on paying my subscription in the meantime :angry:
Someone told me there had been loads of complaints to Watchdog, so I phoned Sky and told them I was also going to ring Watchdog - Sky sent an engineer out with a new box within a week
Old 10 May 2002, 10:12 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

My pace box has played up since the day i got it installed, many a time i've had engineers out, but the other day i rang sky with the same problem and they said that because my warranty had run out they were going to charge me £60 just for a call out fee and then parts and labour on top of that. Ended up in a big arguement that they were charging me for a problem i've had from the start and for their engineers not solving the problem while the box was still in warranty. I told them to shove it.