Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Another Weight Loss Thread

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2012, 10:49 AM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Weight Loss Thread

I'm a fat ba5tard!! I work in the offshore industry and have been told that if I don't lose some weight I will not be issued with a medical certificate for work purposes. So I thought what better place to ask for advice than from the caring sharing guys in NSR. My problem is I like my food and lots of beers on my days off, not a good combination so time to knuckle down and shift some of this flab. I'm 5' 10 and 270Lbs at the moment. I have started eating healthily since I came to work 2 weeks ago (2 more weeks left) and have managed to lose 5Lb's so far. I will also be cutting my alcohol intake dramatically when I get home . I've been doing a bit of research online and had a gander at that Jodie Marsh web site mentioned in another thread and it got me thinking about protein shakes. Now I know that they alone are not going to make me lose weight but they will however regulate my intake for the most part. You know, two shakes a day and 1 main meal in the evening etc. Thing is, there are so many different brands out there and they are fairly expensive so I don't want to buy any old sh*te and would rather spend my money on quality stuff that will do me good. So my question is, what do the fine folk on here recommend and do you think those diet pills would help with my new calorie controlled diet?

Any help appreciated
Old 18 June 2012, 10:54 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Honestly, the best thing you can do is exercise self-control by counting every calorie that goes in your mouth and simply sticking to a target daily amount that you know will lose you weight. Add that to some exercise and you are well on your way. When on the rigs seek out the gym and avoid the chips

For calorie counting I recommend using a smartphone app as it makes it really easy to create meals that you just add in when you have them. Once the set up work is done it takes just a few seconds to account for something you are about to eat. I used myfitnesspal for iphone and it is great. I can't believe how many foods the barcode scanner knows!
Old 18 June 2012, 10:54 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

double post

Last edited by Saxo Boy; 18 June 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:04 AM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

I have been using the gym here. It's pretty crap but has a decent treadmill so have been going for 1hr walks after I finish my shift. I have also been using myfitnesspal and find that a great help with what I am eating. I f*****g hate the gym though so can't wait to get home so at least I can go for a scenic walk and I've got a pretty good mountain bike as well so will be using that.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:14 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

If you hate gyms its best to get outside and do something. Give yourself a reason to take long walks. See if you can get a casual leafleting gig for when you are onshore. The pay is crap but you can just put the money in a jar and let it build up over the months. However, a few ours wandering around housing estates listening to your ipod is pretty relaxing (except for dogs trying to take your hand off) and the miles pile up quickly.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't think of a better incentive for loosing the flab

It's all downhill for you now.
Old 18 June 2012, 11:50 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Finding a low impact sport that can replace the gym and you can get into enough to do whatever the weather is a bloody good idea!

One bit of advice id have, as a few large guys at work all had this problem at the same time, is dont take up running! if your a tad chunky, the strain on previously underworked knees and your back could mean you get an injury straight away which immobilises you and makes the problem worse! ..... running on tarmac or tread mills really is the devil!

Also, when you eat less and do more, your body will naturally make you feel tired and hungry all the time! be strong and dont give in! it may take a few weeks for your body to adapt, but getting through it and feeling normal again is a sign that your metabolism has changed to account for it! This in itself will mean you burn more of what you eat rather than having it turn to fat.

Mountain biking is a great sport for any weather activity ..... when the weathers ****e its just a **** about in the mud, and when the weathers nice its just an awesome thing to do .... win win.

Good luck fella!
Old 18 June 2012, 11:54 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Good luck chap.

Sounds like you have the right plan and it'll be decent news for your health and pocket!

Rather than drinking I like the suggestion of some form of job, maybe just volunteer somewhere? sounds like you get bored and/or have naff all to do when you are onshore so fill the gap with somethign other than food and scoff.

also, drink plenty of water. most people don't drink enough and it will help you stop snacking.

5t.
Old 18 June 2012, 12:01 PM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacy_gtb
Good luck fella!
Thanks

Originally Posted by fivetide
Good luck chap.

Sounds like you have the right plan and it'll be decent news for your health and pocket!

Rather than drinking I like the suggestion of some form of job, maybe just volunteer somewhere? sounds like you get bored and/or have naff all to do when you are onshore so fill the gap with somethign other than food and scoff.

also, drink plenty of water. most people don't drink enough and it will help you stop snacking.

5t.
Your exactly right. when I'm on my days off I get bored so end up going for a couple of pints and then that leads to more pints etc etc. It's gonna be a lifestyle change that's for sure.
Old 18 June 2012, 12:32 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do your treadmill in the morning before you start work and try and do a few light weights for 15/20 mins as this will build a small amount of muscle,which burns 3 times the calories of fat, even at rest.

You have to take yourself into your fat burning zone, so you need to get yourself a heart rate monitor to know when your there and keep yourself there for 20mins then you will lose weight.

Forget protein shakes, just eat 3 squares a day and reduce/drop carbs.

Drink a glass of water before your meal then you will feel full sooner,when you feel peckish drink water.

It's all about lifestyle, 3 months dedication will see very good results, and if
you keep up your "lifestyle change" then you will be able to eat and drink anything within reason.

Good luck, and remember what Kate moss said "nothing tastes better than looking good feels"
Old 18 June 2012, 12:38 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

What also helps, believe it or not, is the perception of food. Get a smaller plate. People who use large plates always load their plate with a greater amount of food (regardless of hunger)
Old 18 June 2012, 12:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

All people are different and to find the method that works best for you make sure you monitor progress on a Body fat impedence meter, you can buy them from £30 to £3000 and they will give you some idea of wether you are lossing fat, water, or muscle. For me I would reccomend first trying to stop drinking and if not start to drink vodka and soda as it has less calories and less crap than other alcoholic drinks, add a slice of lime for flavour as it does take some getting used to.
For food I would suggest just eat lean meat and vegetables skip the potatoes and the bread unless you are going to be at the gym that day, if you are doing minimal exercise then you only need minimal carbs. For in the gym I would reccomend limited cardio and just hit the free weights, light for a month or two then hit it hard.
There are hundreds of tactics to loosing weight and some ways suit different people better than others you may have to try a few things to get what works for you but just keep at it , keep measuring and you will get results.
Old 18 June 2012, 01:19 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

drop the booze, you'll find the weight will disappear. then when you dont lose anymore from cutting down on the beer, you can start looking at other ways to lose the flab.

Drop the beer and LOADS of weight will go. Promise.
Old 18 June 2012, 09:12 PM
Onan The Barbarian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just echoing what's already been posted and adding something.

Ditch the booze completely. Ditch white bread. Ditch cake.

Switch to a low GI diet (basically avoid eating anything that's got easy calories in it. You feel fuller for longer and don't get the urge to snack).

Finally get yourself into the gym and lift weights. Plenty of reps with moderate weight. Walk lots. The weight should start to fall off you.
Old 18 June 2012, 10:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

No beer, drastically reduce carbs, no fried crap and fatty stuff like sausages, no chocolate.

You could figure out a plan say 1500 to 2000 kcal a day but you will have to avoid the above stuff or have very little of it.

Don't think you can just do a bit of running or cycling and the weight will fall off with no diet. Doesn't work like that. I used to cycle 15-20 hours a week and it just makes you more hungry.
Old 18 June 2012, 10:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it, you need to break it down into manageable chunks, don't think you have to batter the exercise like a demon and eat like a mouse, it doesn't work like that and you will get bored and probably ill.

I have found it is retraining my greedy self to just take enough food to have a meal, not loads and make myself feel bloated, cutting out the beer helps massively, I went a month but have had a couple of cans at weekends as I am doing ok but the key is not to get cocky.

Today I have had to find stuff at home to eat late on as wasn't hungry and realise I had only had 1300 cals, I have set myself as 2000 as 1500 day in day out is very tight for a 6ft bloke, especially an active one, I cycle to work and walk the dog, so done 2 hours of very pleasurable exercise today, no hardship at all and I am so grateful I have commute.

I am down a stone, I reckon I need to lose 2 more but now I am seeing is as how I live, not a diet, have changed things like buying nuts, seeds and dried fruit and love it, still calories but healthy, calories are good, only problem is when we eat 3500 and only burn most of that, us blokes go mad for fried food and beer, we tend to equate it with masculinity and I myself got called a woman for the diet thread I did but the cemeteries are full of proper hard drinking, hard smoking fried food addicts, would rather be like a bird than dead, I have a choice to leave it to chance and that is always part of the equation but I can try to improve my chances by getting my weight and blood pressure down plus people dont make comments, you feel better, you look better and doctors don't give you the lifestyle chat, my lifestyle is pretty good now !

I still have treats but I consider them just that, treats as, as a country treats have become normal, hence why we are big fat ****ers, people drinking every day, eating cakes every day, going for fast food every day and the bottom lip goes when they are told they cant, always going for the instant gratification of fat, salt and sugar.

You can do it, make the most of your time on the rig, batter the gym, take food with you so you can try and avoid the cooked breakfasts and whatever else they serve up as I suspect they tell you off for being overweight one way and then produce loads of delicious stodgy food that riggers will no doubt want, its a demanding job, generally done by men and ryvita's wont be on the menu , of that I am sure, you need to stick to your guns, get the myfitnesspal app, best think I have ever done, its not perfect but it gives you some context and visibility of what you are eating and the effects.

Good luck !
Old 19 June 2012, 05:19 AM
Glynmitch
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for the replies.

I know that this is a whole life style change which I think makes it harder. I got in a rut after splitting up with the wife and started drinking more then. That was 3 years ago so I know it's time to make some serious changes.

I suppose the good thing about where I work (Saudi Arabia) is that it's a dry country and I am also offshore so there is no chance getting a drink here. I am going to try and not drink during my next time off and if I can do that and then come back to work it will be a 3 month detox

I have been using the myfitnesspal app when I'm at home but on the rig I go onto the web site. It's really good for tracking what you eat and it makes you want to make sure you don't cheat and end up eating lots of biscuits or ice cream.

I like the idea of getting a part time job to keep me active but there's not much where I live. I think the thing I lack most is motivation. Or more to the point, I'm lazy! I've got a couple of months to show the medic that I am losing weight and they will re-issue me with my certificate for work so I really have no choice but to get on with it. It's either that or I'm out of a job. It's funny though, you should see the size of some of the yanks that work here. I look skinny next to them.

No one has answered my question about the protein shakes and diet pills yet though
Old 19 June 2012, 05:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I did, forget protein shakes, and the pills, you should not be taking pills unless you have to, as a general rule, i have also heard they give you mood swings, so not good on a rig.

There is no quick fix/easy way around this, just good old fashion hard work.
Old 19 June 2012, 02:18 PM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

The best thing to do is eat natural foods. If it grows, walks, swims,flies eat it, lol. Seriously just eat non processed food. Anything natural.forget calorie counting just avoid factory produced crap.crisps, chocs,fizzy drinks, and the dreaded biscuits and donuts.trust me you'll feel and look better.
We are fat in the modern world because of factory crap.
Good luck.
Old 19 June 2012, 03:31 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lord Marshall
The best thing to do is eat natural foods. If it grows, walks, swims,flies eat it, lol. Seriously just eat non processed food. Anything natural.forget calorie counting just avoid factory produced crap.crisps, chocs,fizzy drinks, and the dreaded biscuits and donuts.trust me you'll feel and look better.
We are fat in the modern world because of factory crap.
Good luck.
I done this and started going to the gym twice a week doing pretty intense workouts! I Havnt lost a lot of weight but i wasnt trying to im 6ft and weight 13st 2lbs. One thing that has happened is I have changed the way i look drastically in 5months and am now alot happier and more confident. If i can do it anyone can I was eating takeaway 4-5times a week and drinking loads of beer and cider. I still drink abit but only drink vodka and lemonade now which is around 50calories a glass. goodluck mate.
Old 19 June 2012, 08:59 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Glynmitch
Thanks all for the replies.

I know that this is a whole life style change which I think makes it harder. I got in a rut after splitting up with the wife and started drinking more then. That was 3 years ago so I know it's time to make some serious changes.

I suppose the good thing about where I work (Saudi Arabia) is that it's a dry country and I am also offshore so there is no chance getting a drink here. I am going to try and not drink during my next time off and if I can do that and then come back to work it will be a 3 month detox

I have been using the myfitnesspal app when I'm at home but on the rig I go onto the web site. It's really good for tracking what you eat and it makes you want to make sure you don't cheat and end up eating lots of biscuits or ice cream.

I like the idea of getting a part time job to keep me active but there's not much where I live. I think the thing I lack most is motivation. Or more to the point, I'm lazy! I've got a couple of months to show the medic that I am losing weight and they will re-issue me with my certificate for work so I really have no choice but to get on with it. It's either that or I'm out of a job. It's funny though, you should see the size of some of the yanks that work here. I look skinny next to them.

No one has answered my question about the protein shakes and diet pills yet though

protein shakes are just that, a shake with protein in them, they should be used as a supplement to an already established diet. yes they can have a functional place/role but it needs to be in consideration of the total diet.

as for diet pills, it conjours up the idea of fantastic results.

truth is you need to be specific in the product your looking at. there are no generic "pills" although most are just capped powder. but usually include amino acids associated with ft loss, a green tea extract of some kind amongst other things maybe like caffine associated with fat loss programmes. all of which are available through selected food choice. no different from drinking coffee/red bull or caffinated drink or a food that contains the ingredients.

some of which can help with appetite supression.

really need to know what the supplement is your looking at to give better info mate
Old 19 June 2012, 09:16 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

just to further, ephedrine is considered a great ingrediant in fat loss supplements. its illegal in certain mg strenghs and forms, but still a common ingredient in many fat burners. its also in many sports a banned substance.
but its an ingredient in many OTC medicines like benedryl, or other cold/flu OTC medication. its why some sports people fail drugs tests, all my friends that ski competitivley are told by coaches if you have acold/flu tough luck. man up! or use legal medication at your own peril.

many perfectly legal supplements use ingradients that are very similarly named to ephedrine or phenylehphidrine, or its derivatives eg, EPH ect ect. these names may well not represent the actual ingredients, but its an attempt to trick the buyer into thinking they are buying something with ephedrine or its derivatives.

just a quick insight mate
Old 19 June 2012, 11:04 PM
Lord Marshall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dibbleyuk
I done this and started going to the gym twice a week doing pretty intense workouts! I Havnt lost a lot of weight but i wasnt trying to im 6ft and weight 13st 2lbs. One thing that has happened is I have changed the way i look drastically in 5months and am now alot happier and more confident. If i can do it anyone can I was eating takeaway 4-5times a week and drinking loads of beer and cider. I still drink abit but only drink vodka and lemonade now which is around 50calories a glass. goodluck mate.
Cool, your weight isn't too far off for your height.also remember heavy weights will add some weight as muscle weighs more than fat.how did you get off the takeaways? The are my achilles heel
Old 21 June 2012, 11:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My doctor's advice was to eat and drink less. He was dead right and the only real way is for you to develop an iron will towards controlling your food intake. The thought that your present situation is affecting your eventual lifespan should help!

Les