Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

19BN euro for Bankia

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2012, 06:49 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19BN euro for Bankia

oh dear. the computer says NO. well done IMF. makes me glad I'm not in the euro now.
Old 30 May 2012, 07:12 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

have you seen this youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lekS_7l0b18

Paints a frightening picture if it becomes true.

Someone else said that Spainish banks have the cockroach syndrome, where there is one, there will be many more to find
Old 30 May 2012, 07:37 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

The rate of collapse now exceeds the rate of the attempts to overtake the collapse. That means that, essentially, the entire European system, in its present form, is in the process of a hopeless degeneration. Now, this is something comparable to what happened in Germany in 1923, and they've caught themselves in a trap, where a rate of collapse exceeds the rate of their attempt to overtake yesterday.

So therefore, we're in a new situation, and the only solution in Europe, in particular, is Glass-Steagall, or the Glass-Steagall equivalent, with no fooling around. Straight Glass-Steagall — no bailouts! None! In other words, you have to collapse the entire euro system. The entirety of the euro system has to collapse. But it has to collapse in the right way; it has to be a voluntary collapse, which is like a Glass-Steagall process. This means the end of the euro, really. The euro system is about to end, because you can't sustain it.

scaremongering or do you all think there is something in it?
Old 30 May 2012, 08:17 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is certainly something in it. We're all dooooooommed, that's what!

There's definitely at least a good chance of a collapse of the banking system. There's a chance in normal times due to some unforeseen event - but when the whole system is in the state it is currently in (probably the worst fundamentals in several generations), the whole thing is basically reliant on people being willing to keep going in spite of (and ignoring) the fundamentals in the hope that things get better.

From what I've read, I believe that there is a crunch to come. There's certain things that need to happen to be able to move on from these levels of debt. Delaying only makes them worse by adding to the burden. It's like the choice between whipping a plaster off quickly and spending the whole day crying while tugging at it (which I haven't done for a long time.. since I was about 22).
Old 30 May 2012, 08:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I was just reading it's a higher figure.

Chaos over the €23.5bn rescue of crippled lender Bankia has led to the abrupt resignation of central bank governor Miguel Ángel Fernández Ordóñez
It gives the Greeks a few hours out of the spotlight.
Old 30 May 2012, 08:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And will ANY of this benefit the £ agaisnt the € in the short term, or the French franc if they have to go back to it?

Or will a weak £ get sucked down with the €?
Old 30 May 2012, 08:46 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
And will ANY of this benefit the £ agaisnt the € in the short term, or the French franc if they have to go back to it?

Both the £ & $ have risen against € today and are currently at the highest they have been, over last 120 days. As for the future, I wouldn't want to predict it.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2012, 08:53 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

And Hollande is dead set on attacking Syria

Maybe the French have more money than they're letting on.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:49 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The irony of all this, is that the German people were loath to give up the Deutschmark, with memories of the 20's hyperinflation still sharp in the minds of the general public

They had a strong affinity to their old currency, they must feel pretty let down by the politicians, but they are a pretty resilient nation

They must lament the euro
Old 30 May 2012, 09:56 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I saw one report stating that less than half of Spaniards thought the Euro had been good, while over 40% of Italians want to return to using Lira.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Euro is finished .... the Banks are finished ...... the UK Banks will go along the line too.

There needs to be a massive mark down in everyones savings I'm afraid - the Bankers have stolen everything from us - I suggest we take what we are owed from them.
Old 30 May 2012, 10:21 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar

it should benefit us (according to Robert Peston on bbc) "people have to put their money somewhere - and the UK looks a good bet compared to the rest of Europe..."
Old 30 May 2012, 10:26 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by albob
it should benefit us (according to Robert Peston on bbc) "people have to put their money somewhere - and the UK looks a good bet compared to the rest of Europe..."
Some people who are happy to return less than they invest, purely to keep their money safe, are investing in Switzerland.
Old 31 May 2012, 12:01 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
The rate of collapse now exceeds the rate of the attempts to overtake the collapse. That means that, essentially, the entire European system, in its present form, is in the process of a hopeless degeneration. Now, this is something comparable to what happened in Germany in 1923, and they've caught themselves in a trap, where a rate of collapse exceeds the rate of their attempt to overtake yesterday.

So therefore, we're in a new situation, and the only solution in Europe, in particular, is Glass-Steagall, or the Glass-Steagall equivalent, with no fooling around. Straight Glass-Steagall — no bailouts! None! In other words, you have to collapse the entire euro system. The entirety of the euro system has to collapse. But it has to collapse in the right way; it has to be a voluntary collapse, which is like a Glass-Steagall process. This means the end of the euro, really. The euro system is about to end, because you can't sustain it.

scaremongering or do you all think there is something in it?
All they can do is to build some more autobahns I reckon!

Les
Old 31 May 2012, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Euro is finished .... the Banks are finished ...... the UK Banks will go along the line too.

There needs to be a massive mark down in everyones savings I'm afraid - the Bankers have stolen everything from us - I suggest we take what we are owed from them.
They should be gaoled for dishonesty!

Les
Old 31 May 2012, 01:03 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Lets be honest, this money has gone somewhere,

There must be some very very rich people who have profited from this!!!

so why dont they pump the money back in?

Mart
Old 31 May 2012, 01:19 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What were they thinking, letting in countries that dont pay tax and have a kip in the middle of the afternoon, when the rest of us are working !

What I want to know is where all this money is owed to, individuals, other countries, companies or what ?
Old 31 May 2012, 01:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's imaginary money, and imaginary people
Old 31 May 2012, 01:35 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

the euro seems to be the biggest scam ever

a tiny minority seem to have become extremley wealthy. figures seem to have been twisted to allow it to work from the start - and nations economies that could not be sustained were allowed in.
so the fundemantal problem is - it could never have worked from the very start, and only came into being either due to intentional manipulation or just stupidity from the organisers.

its maybe all great in hindsight, who knows.

but did we all not do quite good when the £ was stronger against the euro? buisnesses grew fairly well ect ect - so we all kind of got a cut of the profit?? im just asking because i dont know
Old 31 May 2012, 01:38 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mart360
Not necessarily. If I lend you £10 at 50% interest per day, then after a month you owe me £3m. But no-one has benefitted from that 'money'.
Old 31 May 2012, 03:28 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360

There must be some very very rich people who have profited from this!!!

so why dont they pump the money back in?

Mart
I said this a couple of years ago, what with the multi trillion dollar bailouts of the Banks, Insurance & mortgage companies, not to mention the entire US car industry -- all with public money

The western economies have seen a flow of money from poor to rich of almost unimaginable proportions