Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

LOL - oh dear: RIM in real trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2012, 11:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOL - oh dear: RIM in real trouble?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18259701

Well, I've scratched by Blackberry itch, and whilst it's been a great phone (no really! - 9810 Torch2 ) RIM really are a bunch of clowns.

Apple's iphone division are mated with the devil, and Android are just a bunch of nerds.....

Looks like my next phone will be a paper cup with string. A fantastic tiem to re-evaluate whether you need a phone...
Old 29 May 2012, 11:40 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

I'm going back to my Nokia 3210
Old 30 May 2012, 02:24 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Was also a mention elsewhere that they have a very high warehouse inventory, stock just isn't moving, and that's ignoring carriers and retailers who are not shifting stock either. I feel a firesale of handsets coming soon.

On the flip side, they are seriously looking for Macintosh developers. One of my friends has had numerous calls and emails from recruiters for a large waterloo based technology company. Funnily enough, I had a voicemail from a recruiter today who mentioned among other things, development opportunities in Waterloo, RIM again methinks.

We have had a chat about wether it'd be a wise move, and though they are moving into the iOS management sector, hence the need for devs, it'd be a very brave soul to take the plunge.
Old 30 May 2012, 08:49 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dukeoffenland
I'm going back to my Nokia 3210
That has to be the best mobile phone ever, along with the 8210.

I miss mine!
Old 30 May 2012, 10:40 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

RIM are in trouble as they failed to innovate. They had (and probably still have) the most secure email products (BES) but no-one wants a Blackberry anymore.

They could still survive if they opened up BES and BBM to the iPhone/Android but I think they have just missed the boat. Active Sync on exchange is not as secure but because of the massive uptake of iPhones and iPads companies are using it.
Old 30 May 2012, 11:31 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
They could still survive if they opened up BES and BBM to the iPhone/Android but I think they have just missed the boat. Active Sync on exchange is not as secure but because of the massive uptake of iPhones and iPads companies are using it.
That is basically what I believe is being done, hence the requirement for Mac / iOS developers. Apple isn't, at present, overly bothered about the corporate market. Tim Cook is said to be more interested than Steve Jobs ever was, so some more traction might be seen in this area, e.g.; improving on the iOS configuration options. It is better with Lion, as you can enrol devices over the air, but there still needs to be more progress on that front, basically needs the same lockdown abilities as they have for Mac desktop machines, plus more options, for example; black list of phone numbers, disable outgoing / incoming calls, stuff like that.
Old 30 May 2012, 01:14 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

I do struggle to see how having 78 million subscriber base and a net profit of $1.2 BILLION can be seen as a disaster. Poor things must be struggling to put biscuits on the boardroom table.

Trending Topics

Old 30 May 2012, 01:15 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
That has to be the best mobile phone ever, along with the 8210.

I miss mine!
I still have a couple of 8210's in their boxes! - I had blue one, was the best non-smartphone I ever had, I only got them out the other week as I was clearing out a cupboard, I'd forgotten how small & slim they were.... great phones, Nokia's zenith....

Old 30 May 2012, 01:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by '7'
I do struggle to see how having 78 million subscriber base and a net profit of $1.2 BILLION can be seen as a disaster. Poor things must be struggling to put biscuits on the boardroom table.
I'm still keen on B/Berry Messenger it's the sheep like quality of Apple users that is their problem ...

TX.
Old 30 May 2012, 01:31 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I'm still keen on B/Berry Messenger it's the sheep like quality of Apple users that is their problem ...

TX.
what Blackberry do well at they do VERY well. It's when they try to copy other people that it goes wrong.

The "normal Blackberry" with a keyboard is brilliant. The "touch screen" copy of an iphone is rubbish.

The playbook has some brilliant features but has no apps. I get confused and try using the playbook gestures/swipes on my ipad and get frustrated when they don't work! Overall though it's too small.
Old 30 May 2012, 01:31 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't move in NHS management meetings because of the number of Blackberry's kicking about.......the bloke opposite me has been given a NHS Blackberry because of his "management" duties.

Blackberry's are swarming all over plod here too.

Seem to be doing well in that sort of environment.

Shaun
Old 30 May 2012, 09:12 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

For roaming users BB has the best rates out there.....but still people would rather have an iPhone and pay 2 or 3 times as much for roaming data.

For an email business device, the Blackberry has it covered. Just not sexy enough.
Old 30 May 2012, 09:22 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

BB seem to have the teen market well covered too

Both my two elder children insisted on BB for the BBM, although my eldest's Bold 9900 is back the repair centre with a fault

And a quick google on my part, doing a bit of pd, confirms it is a widespread issue

I have for one work, but if I didn't need email, would happily go back in time to my old nokia

3G and web browsing is pathetic

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 30 May 2012 at 09:24 PM.