Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Finally saw all 5 planets together

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2002, 09:15 AM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally managed to get a look at all 5 planets currently visible last night. Jupiter nice and bright high up in the West, then Venus, Mars and Saturn which all fitted into the field of view of my trusty 10x80 binos, then finally the elusive Mercury which as luck would have it was smack in a gap between the houses opposite.
Fine end to a wet Bank holiday Monday. (yes I know it sounds sad, but I'm an astronomer at heart).
Old 07 May 2002, 11:24 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You were lucky to see them that late - with the sky staying lighter longer and Mercury dipping ever lower to the horizon, the window of opportunity has almost passed. Still, a cool sight isn't it?
Old 07 May 2002, 12:50 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Question

I still don't think I'm looking in the right place here

So around dusk from the horizon upward? I assume they all eventually disappear to the horizon as it gets later then?

I thought I saw them the other week, but these were almost 10 o'clock position in the sky around 9pm

Old 07 May 2002, 01:18 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
I was looking at about 9pm last night so it was still twilight - Jupiter was almost due West and about 40 degrees above the horizon. Venus was more north of west, and is so bright you can't really miss it. Saturn and Mars, I had to use the binoculars to pick out - they formed a triangle (with Venus) pointing upwards - Mars at the top (slightly reddish), Venus (bright white) to the right, Saturn (yellowish) to the left. To find Mercury, go north again from Venus, aprallel to the horizon, about twice the distance from Venus to Saturn, then go down towards the horizon a little bit. I was using binoculars, and couldn't see either Mars or Mercury with the naked eye.
Old 07 May 2002, 02:45 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've been watching them on & off for the last week or so now.

If it's a clear evening , go out as the Sun is setting (8pm ish) and look due West. The first two "stars" that appear will be Venus and Jupiter. Venus is very bright, but low in the sky and 15 degrees right (East ) of due West. Jupiter is pretty much due West, but much higher in the sky.

If you're not sure about West, it's where the Sun sets. The planets will be roughly in a line above and to the left of where the Sun sets.

If you go out at 8:30pm each evening for the next few days and turn just right of due West, you should see something like this:

The grid lines mark elevation from 0 to 30 degrees and direction from 255 degrees through 270 (due West) to 315 degrees.

If it's clear, then a cheap telescope should be enough to see Jupiter and four of its moons. Saturn's moons are visible but much dimmer, but the rings make up for it.
Old 07 May 2002, 08:10 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

I saw em, well cool

Bob
Old 14 May 2002, 11:18 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up