Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

URGENT!!! Insurance claim help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2012, 04:28 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry URGENT!!! Insurance claim help needed.

A friend of mine had a car accident recently to which the other person involved accepted full responsability for. But now my friends insurance company has rang the other person and as soon as she found out it was the insurance company the phone was put down and now she wont answer. The Insurance company have sent letters to her to which she has also ignored. The police say they cant really do anything to which i find a strange thing

So question is whats the next step? As it looks my friend is going to have to foot the bill. And being 19 with only 1 years no claims is going to rocket her premium up to un-acceptable levels.

Any help appreciated
Old 17 May 2012, 04:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Other party's reg details? should be the insurers job to chase the other party's insurance for claim, providing you have paid for legal aid, and witnesses to say who was at fault. That should be enough in my understanding.
Regards
Old 17 May 2012, 05:03 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

So does my friends insurance company need the other persons consent to go ahead and contct their insurance company to process the claim?
Old 17 May 2012, 05:11 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx287
So does my friends insurance company need the other persons consent to go ahead and contct their insurance company to process the claim?
No.
Old 17 May 2012, 05:12 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't of thought so, we're the police involved as crime ref number should be passed onto your insurer.
They should go this way if the other party is not responding IMO that's what your paying legal aid for to fight on your behalf, I would not be impressed with a company if they can't even do that!
Old 17 May 2012, 05:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No, but are you sure she IS insured?
Old 17 May 2012, 05:15 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Check her reg on mid site to see if she's insured, if not then god help you
http://www.askmid.com/
Old 17 May 2012, 05:16 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Your insurance company can trace the other drivers insurance company and contact them, they will have to then contact their client for an explanation, it will take a while but if eventually she does not respond they should rule in your favour and it will be a fault on her.

I had a similar thing happen a few years ago when the driver that hit me didnt respond to the insurer and they ended up ruling in my favour (it wasnt my fault anyway) as they could not proove otherwise.
Old 17 May 2012, 05:22 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Your insurance company can trace the other drivers insurance company and contact them, they will have to then contact their client for an explanation, it will take a while but if eventually she does not respond they should rule in your favour and it will be a fault on her.
100% correct
Old 17 May 2012, 05:31 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys Will pass the info on
Old 17 May 2012, 05:41 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Good luck. The guilty party can't ignore your friends insurance company forever
Old 17 May 2012, 05:43 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Good luck. The guilty party can't ignore your friends insurance company forever
If she does then she'll have a visit
Old 18 May 2012, 07:37 AM
Bargain Bucket
Scooby Newbie

Similar thing happened to me only the other person's insurance company said they couldn't progress a claim if their insured hadn't given their account of events. So it seemed to me that if you just ignore them, you get away with it
Old 19 May 2012, 11:38 AM
Mikej857
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bargain Bucket
Similar thing happened to me only the other person's insurance company said they couldn't progress a claim if their insured hadn't given their account of events. So it seemed to me that if you just ignore them, you get away with it
Not at all,

My brother was hit up the **** by a guy who at the scene tried to get my brother to agree to let him have the car repaired on the cheap (bearing in mind it was a 57 plate VXR corsa) after I explained that there was about £3500 of damage the guy changed his mind, all he kept saying was that he was paying £2000 for his 3rd party insurance, he tried to give us a dodgy phone number but luckly I checked at the scene that the number was correct.

What was really stupid is the guy also admitted his front tyres were more or less bald and he was speeding at the time and could not stop in time.

Well my brother contacted his insurance who then put him onto one of these claims people who contacted the other guys insurance and notified them of the accident, a couple of weeks passed and the other driver had not reported the accident to his insurance obviously thinking if he didnt report it he would get away with it and not hike up his premium, the claims people said it wasnt a problem as the witness to the accident had confirmed it was the other drivers fault and even if the other driver had not reported the accident his insurance would still pay and inflate his premium come renewal time due to the accident.

Currently my brothers car is in for repair at a main dealers and he has a courtesy car so even if she doesnt report the accident you will still get paid out and your car repaired.

You may want to contact the MRB as they deal with claims from people who do this sort o thing and are there solely to get money from people who are either trying to ignore your insurance or those who are not insured.

Whatever happens your car should be repaired.