Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Are the Police a Special Case?

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2012, 07:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Are the Police a Special Case?

Should they receive big fat salaries, paid for by us, the taxpayers?

Should they retire at 50 and have their fat Pensions paid for by us, the taxpayers?

Should they continue as they have done, paid for by us, the taxpayers?

I'm no fan of the Tories and the police need rewarding, as they are, but is it now time for them to take some pain like the people who pay them?
Old 16 May 2012, 07:37 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I will retire at 59 if things stay as they are, which they won't. Add another 10 years onto that and I'll still be chasing burglars over garden walls and fighting with 20 year olds in town bars.

I pay 15% every month into my pension - friend of mine is in a private company with a non-contributory pension, so the company pays his.

We have had a mass recruitment freeze, so our shift is at half strength and we strugle to keep up, we don't get paid overtime as there is nothing in the pot.

i could go on.......

What do you suggest then Pete..?
Old 16 May 2012, 07:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I would suggest, Felix, that maybe you've had it really good for many decades (I know a few Coppas - MDP and Normal).

I cannot believe for one moment that you get no pay for Overtime! My mates told me that if they work on a Bank Holiday they get double time AND a day off in lieu ..... is this true?

£1 in every £7 from the Taxpayer goes on Police Pensions - extend the date at which that payment becomes due and it would put many more Police on the beat and save pension costs.

Do you really think you should retire at 59? 59 is the new 29 ..... if you cannot keep up on the streets then we'll give you a nice desk job - do some paperwork?

Last edited by pslewis; 16 May 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 16 May 2012, 07:52 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Police, teachers, firemen and nurses - the good ones that make an effort not the ones hiding behind the security of public service - they deserve at least what they get now.

Halve the pen pushing jobsworths from the local council offices and transfer the saved salaries to the above. Its the cost of middle management and the grip they have on public service that is taking the money away from the front line.

Why this can't be addressed is beyond me. F*ck this business about having to find public employees jobs in the private sector - if they want a job that bad give them national service. In fact anyone wanting to work for the government should do 2 years national service to show a proper commitment to the country they wish to work for.

See how many lightweight journeymen apply after that!
Old 16 May 2012, 07:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Teachers then .... would it not be better that they get 4 weeks off work like the rest of society? Instead of the 14 weeks off they get now? The pupils will be taught more! Teachers work a directed 26 hours a week.

Firemen, get called out once a shift to a chimney fire or Mrs Jones's cat stuck up a tree - or attend Fete's to play with little boys on their sirens!! Yes, once in their lives they may have to do an unpleasant job - but then they take 18 months off on stress. They then retire with PC Plod at 50.

Nurses .... that tabboo subject ... well, improvements can be made there.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:01 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Desk jobs....? Most have gone to a private company. The only overtime I get is time back on my card - which i cant take as we are so short on the shift, so i end up losing it at the end of the year.

Yes, we do get double time for bank holidays at the moment, but Winsor 2 will soon put an end to that.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:06 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Firemen, get called out once a shift to a chimney fire or Mrs Jones's cat stuck up a tree - or attend Fete's to play with little boys on their sirens!! Yes, once in their lives they may have to do an unpleasant job - but then they take 18 months off on stress. They then retire with PC Plod at 50.
And run into burning houses risking their lives, along with police who put their lives and safety on the line, and tell people their loved ones are no more

At the end of the day Pete, if its so good a deal why didn't you become one.....
Old 16 May 2012, 08:07 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix.
I will retire at 59 if things stay as they are, which they won't. Add another 10 years onto that and I'll still be chasing burglars over garden walls and fighting with 20 year olds in town bars.

I pay 15% every month into my pension - friend of mine is in a private company with a non-contributory pension, so the company pays his.

We have had a mass recruitment freeze, so our shift is at half strength and we strugle to keep up, we don't get paid overtime as there is nothing in the pot.

i could go on.......

What do you suggest then Pete..?
So in the world of the Police it is only Police officers who do a physically demanding job and so have to retire at 50?

Please talk sense.

If you are too old to do a particular job then move on or do some other role. It's no reason for the taxpayer to owe you a cushy retirement. Do semi-professional footballers, or hod-carriers, or cycle couriers expect the taxpayer to fund their early retirement?

Honestly I am sick of the public sector using every spurious justification going for their privilege.

Why don't you tell me as the taxpayer what downside there is to cutting your pay and making you work to 65 or whatever?

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 16 May 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Double time went out with the ark ..... and this is what I mean.

You are being dragged into the world we have all lived in for at least 20 years .......

And, most people work more than their standard hours - I am owed 28 hours at the moment, will I ever see it again? No, I doubt it.

I know it's painful having to accept working conditions which have applied to most people for as long as most can remember.

Teachers complain that they work longer than their 26 conditioned hours .... HELL, EVERYONE works longer than THAT - yet they expect special praise for it.

The Public Service conditions have been a joke for years - the joke is over, it's no longer funny ....... welcome to the real world I suppose?
Old 16 May 2012, 08:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

And run into burning houses risking their lives, along with police who put their lives and safety on the line, and tell people their loved ones are no more

At the end of the day Pete, if its so good a deal why didn't you become one.....
That old chestnut gets rolled out again and again .......... you make out that firemen are running into hell fires daily - I've got news for you, that rarely happens in a Firemans lifetime!!!

Most of the time Firemen are running their other businesses and/or playing with a PS3 - occassionally they may have to visit Doris and screw a smoke detector on her ceiling - and that, basically, is about it!
Old 16 May 2012, 08:14 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
In fact anyone wanting to work for the government should do 2 years national service to show a proper commitment to the country they wish to work for.

See how many lightweight journeymen apply after that!
That is actually the start of a very good idea.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Most Teachers and Police have never had proper jobs Pete.

Having said that I believe the Police are more realistic since they do at least mingle in the real world etc, but some stuff you hear from Teachers is a joke. They honestly sound like graduating students in the over-inflation of their own self-worth and entitlement, and clueless about the real world.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:23 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

You must be really proud of this thread Pete, been a while since you got a rise out of someone with your trolling, or is it that you are now supporting conservative/ lib dem policies?
Old 16 May 2012, 08:24 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I agree ref. Teachers ..... they never ever grow out of being graduates .... always wanting praise and congratulations.
Old 16 May 2012, 08:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
You must be really proud of this thread Pete, been a while since you got a rise out of someone with your trolling, or is it that you are now supporting conservative/ lib dem policies?
I guess, myself, along with the rest of society are realising how easy it has been for a long, long, long time in some Public Sector jobs.

I'm simply asking the question whether SN think the Police, as an example, are a special case and should be left alone when cuts are being applied elsewhere.

Hardly trolling
Old 16 May 2012, 08:52 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Teachers then .... would it not be better that they get 4 weeks off work like the rest of society? Instead of the 14 weeks off they get now? The pupils will be taught more! Teachers work a directed 26 hours a week.

Nurses .... that tabboo subject ... well, improvements can be made there.
what do you thin fire fighters do when not attnding calls? they educate the pubic, visit schools ect, do FRA for compainies

the train hard every single day to maintin and update skills that may be needed at an incident.
what about RTC'S they attend, its not just lives they can help save, but peoples buisnesses and livleyhoods ect ect

i suggest the problem doesnt lie within the services you moan about, but more with your understanding of the whats invovlved in these actual roles.

and most firemen spend there time running other buisnesses and playing ps3's do they!

get a grip on reality please - the fact is you dont actually know, but you chooseto cling on to old fashioned misconceptions and spout them as fact - why do you feel the need to talk so much nonsense?

just to keep a thread going? whats the motive??

that in itself would make an interesting thread
Old 16 May 2012, 08:54 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

And run into burning houses risking their lives, along with police who put their lives and safety on the line,.
Which of course they know when they take on the job.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:02 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I agree ref. Teachers ..... they never ever grow out of being graduates .... always wanting praise and congratulations.
The latest raft of strike threats/action by teachers really brought home to me how uneducated the few that were interviewed really are. One was asked why she was striking, and she said something along the lines of 'All I want is a bit of recognition, along the lines of a bonus/pay rise, and if I don't get it I cant see how I can continue' (words to that effect) Try being in the military love, I haven't had a pay rise for a couple of years, and dont hold out much hope of another. It wont stop me continuing to produce to the absolute best of my ability, its called pride!

Overall, I find teachers can be inspiring and intelligent people who children can aspire to emulate. It is no coincidence that 90% of my children's teachers are exactly that.

Last edited by Myles; 16 May 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
what about RTC'S they attend, its not just lives they can help save, but peoples buisnesses and livleyhoods ect ect
Don't make me larf!!!!

My wife was driving home a few winters ago and a tree fell on her car squashing it - she rang from the car, I arrived to see the 'Firefighters' arguing over what to do ...... they were totally, and I mean this, totally, useless!!! So don't come the claptrap with me!

Myself and another bloke took control, told then what to do and how to do it ..... we shut the road and arranged for a chainsaw to be brought from a neighbour (the Firemen didn't have anyone trained in how to use one!!!) FFS!!!!

So don't try and tell me they are some amazing professionals because the secret is out - they have second or third businesses - play pool or PS3 all their shift!!

We all know ...... so, please, don't go peddling the old bollox ...
Old 16 May 2012, 09:06 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Don't make me larf!!!!

My wife was driving home a few winters ago and a tree fell on her car squashing it - she rang from the car, I arrived to see the 'Firefighters' arguing over what to do ...... they were totally, and I mean this, totally, useless!!! So don't come the claptrap with me!

Myself and another bloke took control, told then what to do and how to do it ..... we shut the road and arranged for a chainsaw to be brought from a neighbour (the Firemen didn't have anyone trained in how to use one!!!) FFS!!!!

So don't try and tell me they are some amazing professionals because the secret is out - they have second or third businesses - play pool or PS3 all their shift!!

You are on FIRE tonight, PSL.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You do realise, don't you, that Teachers are receiving a 7.5% payrise every year - don't you?

As they get an AUTOMATIC move up the payscale ...... while in outside industry, if you do a great job, you get to keep your job for another year!!!

The gravy train has stopped at the station, the public are looking inside, and they are disgusted by what they see!!
Old 16 May 2012, 09:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
You are on FIRE tonight, PSL.
Well, I've been away for a while ... thought I would inject some Fire into the place
Old 16 May 2012, 09:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Metropolitan Police Service

Commissioner - £247,194

Deputy Commissioner - £204,075

Police Service of Northern Ireland

Chief Constable - £183,954

Deputy Chief Constable - £149,463

4 times the average Salary is a good deal I suspect?
Old 16 May 2012, 09:20 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Don't make me larf!!!!

we all know - what atually do you know? do you work at a firesation, have you ever spent time on a station? have you trained with firefighters in any situation? its sounds very unlikely

pmsl you really use 1 example as a referance for total understanding?? even 100 poor incidents doesnt give a true reflection - fact is you cant please everyone , all of the time. not only are firefighters bound by red tape created by a hungry selfish blame culture, enforced on them by who i wonder???

i am a firefighter, we dont have a pool table or a single playstation on our station or any games console, neither are we allowed to run any buisnesses from work.

would you care to expand on your ultimate knowledge?

so the 1 time you do need to be cut out of your car, or helped out of a fire scenario - i recommend you tell the guys to stop helping you, and just carry on running there 2 or 3 buisnesses lol

your so out of touch with the real world, its comical. you display a media education in all its glory. dear god how can 1 person be so massivley deluded without even noticing lol

this is a great thread lol
Old 16 May 2012, 09:22 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Metropolitan Police Service

Commissioner - £247,194

Deputy Commissioner - £204,075

Police Service of Northern Ireland

Chief Constable - £183,954

Deputy Chief Constable - £149,463

4 times the average Salary is a good deal I suspect?
put up a regular bobby on the beats salary please for some perspective
Old 16 May 2012, 09:23 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

If it's that easy... as in 25 hours a week and 14 weeks holiday, why isn't everyone queuing up to become one? sounds easy

Last edited by apac; 16 May 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:25 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jef
put up a regular bobby on the beats salary please for some perspective
Jef........don't feed the troll
The man is a complete ****ing spanner with far to much time on his hands....seriously pslewis you really do talk some bollox

Old 16 May 2012, 09:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apac
If it's that easy... as in 25 hours a week and 14 weeks holiday, why isn't everyone queuing up to become one? sounds easy
Why are those who joined - a bunch of moaning ninies?
Old 16 May 2012, 09:30 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Police officers still have to pay tax, some of which goes back to pay themselves.

Pete, can't you think of a new subject to troll on? You re-pist this same thread every year.
Old 16 May 2012, 09:32 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Jef........don't feed the troll
The man is a complete ****ing spanner with far to much time on his hands....seriously pslewis you really do talk some bollox

lol i know, cant help it tho lol

plus some excitement on SN, cant let the chance pass by lol

psl knows how to get a reaction, its a bit too obvious here though that is his aim, still its a good chance to slate a pensioner lol

Quick Reply: Are the Police a Special Case?