Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Smoking around kids

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2012, 10:57 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking around kids

This is quite an emotive subject for me so I was wondering what other Scoobynetters thoughts were.

Neither me or my Mrs smoke and we have our 14 month old son, so in our house everything is fine in this respect. But we have openly declined invitations for say visiting relatives who do smoke and continue to do so around their/others kids. I find this quite selfish that parents smoke either around their own children or other peoples, and even more so that some others aren't bothered and allow it.

The best one I heard was from the Mrs' mother, who unless I had specifically told not to, wasn't bothered about smoking in and around my son. Her opinion was that as she had smoked throughout all three of her pregnancies, smoking did no harm to kids They were her words! Let's say she got the sharp responce and I promised her that if she ever smoked around my son, she would never see him again.

What are others opinions on this as it riles me up to think parents can claim to be so protective of their kids but then be so hypocritical as to smoke around them.

This isn't an anti-smoking thread or a bash all smokers thread, I'm just genuinely curious as to others opinions on the subject and indeed what parents that smoke do around their kids.

Andy
Old 12 May 2012, 11:04 AM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I hate seeing parents smoking in the car whilst they have there kids in the back!
Old 12 May 2012, 11:05 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I've never, ever smoked in view of my kids. Even now, if I decide I want to have a smoke, I go outside if the kids are in the room. Smoking is only allowed in the utility room, no where else in the house at all. I remember upsetting a few folks when my kids where christened. Anyone who wanted a *** had to go in the garden and it was raining
Old 12 May 2012, 11:08 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by super_ted
I hate seeing parents smoking in the car whilst they have there kids in the back!
And that is my pet hate
Old 12 May 2012, 11:10 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Pure selfishness. An adult has the option to walk away from where someone else is smoking, a baby does not have this option.

Dirty, dirty, selfish smokers.
Old 12 May 2012, 11:13 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know the facts on so called passive smoking,the actual damage if any it causes.
Dare say a room full of *** smoke can't be healthy though,so no i wouldn't allow it..
Old 12 May 2012, 11:20 AM
steve05wrx
Scooby Regular

My wife is a doctor and often reminds her patients that smoke hangs around your clothes for 10-15 minutes after you finish a cigarette - this means that parents or friends that go outside to smoke should not cuddle their babies immediately they come back into the house.
My father is a smoker and was not allowed anywhere near our son for 30 minutes after he finished a cigarette!!
Cheers
steve
Old 12 May 2012, 01:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Smile

I NEVER smoke around my kids for 2 good reasons...

I don't smoke and I don't have kids
Old 12 May 2012, 01:27 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Being a smoker myself I would never smoke near my one year old son.
during the day I go to the front door for a smoke and when my son goes to bed
then I will smoke in the living room with the window open.
I never smoke in the car when my son is in the car.

Any parent who smokes around there children is setting a very bad example and
putting them at risk from the smoke.
Old 12 May 2012, 01:31 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Does anyone else hate the smell of children? give me a smoke polluted room anyday of the week....and I don't even smoke!
Old 12 May 2012, 01:38 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

When I did smoke, I would do so outside if there was anyone about who didn't smoke themselves - the only exception to that being pre-smoking ban in pubs, back when the non-smokers were made to stand outside if they wanted clean air.

However, having recently quit I've had to think of other excuses to avoid children!
Old 12 May 2012, 01:42 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Definitely with you on this mate big time.

Most people are decent & would respect those around them who are non-smokers therefore take appropriate measures.

If any family/friends would not show any consideration to my family or others then I would have a meaningful convo with them to help resolve any issues.

If common sense prevails then great, but if not then I would defo keep away whoever it is until they were prepared to play ball.
Old 12 May 2012, 01:43 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone who smokes around their kids are selfish scum with no thoughts for their children in my book. Not against smokers, only those who don't give a toss about their kids lives. And smoking in a car with kids in is the worst of the lot.
Old 12 May 2012, 02:09 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

I was coming out of Tesco's with my own kids a few years ago, headed over too the parent & child parking and the car next to mine had 2 adults in the front smoking their superkings with a new born kid strapped in the rear child seat. Windows up filled with smoke... dirty bastids!!!

Saying that i see a lot more parents standing outside with the doors shut now, even if its started raining rather than killing their own kids, hats off too them.
Old 12 May 2012, 02:31 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

ive smoked in the past but not me or anyone is allowed to smoke in my house anywhere, ever.
if you smoke its out the front, doors and windows closed incase it blows in, come torrential rail, hail, shine, tsunami or tornado!!

ive put this very question to the social worker invovled in my daughters case as a "danger" to her health. as her mother and the whole family smoke in the house with all kids there - really gets to me, and since theres a clear link between smoking and various conditions including cancer, i see it does actually represent a significant danger to my childs health - and is uneccissary.
Old 12 May 2012, 03:21 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Our first is on the way and if anyone smokes around her there will be some major issues.
To be fair only people I know who smoke are sister and brother in law and they always smoke outside even in their own house.

A girl I work with who is pregnant quit smoking but she is planning to start again as soon as her baby is born.
Old 12 May 2012, 03:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it beggers belief that this even has to be debated in 2012

i have been known to have the odd ***, but would not dream of doing it anywhere near children

Utterly socially unacceptable, on a par with a guest doing a dump in the middle of the dining room – just not done!!
Old 12 May 2012, 04:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
it beggers belief that this even has to be debated in 2012

i have been known to have the odd ***, but would not dream of doing it anywhere near children

Utterly socially unacceptable, on a par with a guest doing a dump in the middle of the dining room – just not done!!

It does seem more the bottom feeders that do this, or the generally uneducated halfwits (the mother in-law falls into the latter - she's a thick **** ). Unfortunately my extended family habors more than the 'national average of workshy scroungers' so maybe that's why? I seem to be in the minority when it comes to having a work ethic and not smoking with regards my family.
Old 12 May 2012, 04:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
It does seem more the bottom feeders that do this, or the generally uneducated halfwits (the mother in-law falls into the latter - she's a thick **** ). Unfortunately my extended family habors more than the 'national average of workshy scroungers' so maybe that's why? I seem to be in the minority when it comes to having a work ethic and not smoking with regards my family.
Sign them up for a euthanasia workshop
Old 12 May 2012, 05:19 PM
willN
Scooby Regular

I wont smoke around adults who don't smoke let alone kids.. my ex used to moan all the time about me stopping at services and stuff and getting out to smoke because I wouldn't smoke with her in the car.

Its my choice I smoke I'm not going to force other people to put up with my dirty habit!
Old 12 May 2012, 05:20 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
I NEVER smoke around my kids for 2 good reasons...

I don't smoke and I don't have kids
+1

I don`t even let people smoke outside my house. If they want / need to smoke, then p1ss off home.

Actually I don`t get many visitors

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 12 May 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12 May 2012, 05:22 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I hate the smell of smoking now like a phobia. Even if people are in front of me in the street smoking and I get a lung full I move away. It's odd as back in the day everyone was smoking in pubs and clubs etc and you would come home a night out and your clothes would reek. Disgusting!

So I have rules such as nobody smokes in my house or car.
Old 12 May 2012, 05:23 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Don't say that in the US.
Old 12 May 2012, 05:41 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes its now getting to the stage that the smell of smoke outdoors, when walking down the roads seems so noticable

And I remember bumming a *** on the central line as a teenager in the early 80's

Had a lovely ciggie afterward too
Old 12 May 2012, 06:42 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

And I remember bumming a *** on the central line as a teenager in the early 80's
Old 12 May 2012, 06:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Yes its now getting to the stage that the smell of smoke outdoors, when walking down the roads seems so noticable

Had a lovely ciggie afterward too

Old 12 May 2012, 07:37 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, if you smoke, at all you don't do near my kids.
Old 12 May 2012, 08:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I dont smoke, never have and never will, but the whole world seemed to reek of *** smoke as a kid, in the Seventies it was seemingly compulsary, things have now gone from one extreme to the other.

I grew up with it, my mum smoked and still does and im still here, ok it stinks but the odd whiff of a *** once a month isnt going to kill your kids, smoking is dying out really so they will probably not take it up, your kids wil come into contact with much worse stuff, take them on a plane they will get bombarded with solar radiation, all the mobile signals, crap food, alcohol is more prevalent these days, knife crime, drugs, guns and unrealistic expectations of live. We used to be outside all the time so it made up for it, much worse like mine sitting in front of bloody screens (I do see the irony)

An occasional whiff of *** smoke wont kill them, just chill.
Old 12 May 2012, 09:53 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

It's a different kind of cigarette that will help them chill
Old 12 May 2012, 10:24 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I dont smoke, never have and never will, but the whole world seemed to reek of *** smoke as a kid, in the Seventies it was seemingly compulsary, things have now gone from one extreme to the other.

I grew up with it, my mum smoked and still does and im still here, ok it stinks but the odd whiff of a *** once a month isnt going to kill your kids, smoking is dying out really so they will probably not take it up, your kids wil come into contact with much worse stuff, take them on a plane they will get bombarded with solar radiation, all the mobile signals, crap food, alcohol is more prevalent these days, knife crime, drugs, guns and unrealistic expectations of live. We used to be outside all the time so it made up for it, much worse like mine sitting in front of bloody screens (I do see the irony)

dont want to offend, but i definatley have a different veiw than that tbh

each to there own though

Quick Reply: Smoking around kids