Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

GoKarting -Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2012, 07:21 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GoKarting -Advice?

I'm going gokarting tonight with 5 of my mates, just looking for some quick advice and tips ...had a quick google and it all seems pretty basic to me.

I've only done it a couple times before many years ago on holiday, and I've never done a track day event either. We have a bet on this so I need to win!
Old 07 May 2012, 07:25 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it to slide isn't the quickest way around corners
Old 07 May 2012, 07:27 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

ohhh! Right, no sliding it then!
Old 07 May 2012, 07:27 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

Loss weight and get there early and see if you can spot the kart that goes the fastest
Old 07 May 2012, 07:28 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

I cant really comment as i look like donkey kong in one of those things,. no mercy would be my approach
Old 07 May 2012, 07:29 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

go down a few weeks before and have a practice
Old 07 May 2012, 07:32 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

I would like to point out that I have taken a rather large dump in order to loose a few pounds
Old 07 May 2012, 07:34 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

When going round a corner, lean the opposite way to put weight on the wheels that are likely to slip. It's a pro tactic to increase grip
Old 07 May 2012, 07:35 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Sideways is quickest as long as you don't scrub off all your speed. It's all out attack and you have to play a little dirty without getting black flagged.

Whether its straight heats & finals or endurance one thing you must avoid at all costs is spinning out, always be aggressive but with good judgement, easier said than done!

It is better to let someone pass than both going for a gap that ain't there for 2 karts to keep the points up or laps on the board.

Good luck let us know how you guys get on mate
Old 07 May 2012, 08:06 PM
chris-boris
Scooby Regular

I assume you will be going indoor karting given that it's this evening? If so then you'll be surprised how late you can brake if you're prepared to go all kinds of sideways into the corner.

If you have little experience I'd steer clear of half chances to pass but indoor karting is all about taking the first opportunity to get past as there probably won't be another. Get at least half way alongside on the inside and you should have completed the move by corner exit. Overtaking round the outside rarely works indoors unless the person you are overtaking is significantly worse than you or they made a mistake so don't bother.

Don't look behind you, there is no need as you can hear where the other karts are. Defending is easy indoors, sit just inside the middle of the track on the straights and inside on the corners and unless you make a mistake you'll stay ahead.

They will tell you in your briefing not to use both pedals at once but the indoor karts are sluggish and don't pick up well so in the slow corners easy on the accelerator just before you finish braking as it will build the revs and give you better pick up out of the slow stuff. Be careful with this however as if the marshals are good they should notice if you do this and warn you! Also, if you have to use the same kart all evening for many different races then I'd avoid the double pedaling as it's hurt the clutch and make things worse for you later on.

I know it sounds silly but don't hit or brush the barriers as it will ruin your momentum.

Ummmmm, off the top of my head that's about it but I'm sure I have forgotten loads of stuff. The best bit of advice I can give however is just go and have fun with your mates. I imagine you will be talking about it for days afterwards so don't do anything silly!
Old 07 May 2012, 09:20 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Try not driving binary. As in no hammering the throttle down. The last thing you want to do is spin up the rears as you come out of the corner. Learn to feather the throttle and only plant it once you know you won't wheel spin. You'll be a lot faster then.
Old 08 May 2012, 04:45 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

LOL, I have never suffered wheelspin in a gokart! 18st+ at 16 years of age probably helped that, was a bugger keeping the speed up round the bends though.
Old 08 May 2012, 05:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You might find that brakes aren't needed for an indoor track
Learn to draught people out of corners into straights, then take 'em with the extra speed.
Be consistent as previously said, don't fight every battle unless its the last lap.
Sit behind 2 people battling it out as quite often one or both will **** up and leave a gap for you to exploit.
Drive smooth & relaxed and don't let the red mist descend as that will lead to ragged (read slower) driving.
Old 08 May 2012, 05:52 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Try and get the tyres warmed up quickly, more so if it's outdoors. Really give some on turn in to the first few corners to get the temps up, and on the start hold both accelerator and brake down to get a good start, usually people aren't and you can jump a few places.

Try to find the limits early on that way you know what the max spped round a corner is quicker rather than only finding it on the last lap.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:09 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

OK - how did you get on?
Old 09 May 2012, 12:53 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Crashed and burned I guess
Old 09 May 2012, 04:51 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
Try and get the tyres warmed up quickly, more so if it's outdoors. Really give some on turn in to the first few corners to get the temps up, and on the start hold both accelerator and brake down to get a good start, usually people aren't and you can jump a few places.

Try to find the limits early on that way you know what the max spped round a corner is quicker rather than only finding it on the last lap.
Jesus, it's only lawnmower engine karting, not F1!
If it was his first time, he isn't going to win anything. Far better for him to learn gradually rather than race out on the first lap looking for the limits. I have been karting on and off for 15 years and I still learn something new everytime I go.
(Even though I usually get the fastest time!)

By the sounds of it, we have a few F1 driver's on here in the wrong profession!
Old 09 May 2012, 05:00 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

People take karting way too serious
Old 09 May 2012, 05:19 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, I tried to take on all the advice and I came 2nd out of 6 ...but I only weigh 9.10 stone so I had a good lightweight advantage to begin with, which I think helped me a lot

We'll defo be doing it again
Old 09 May 2012, 05:34 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
Jesus, it's only lawnmower engine karting, not F1!
If it was his first time, he isn't going to win anything. Far better for him to learn gradually rather than race out on the first lap looking for the limits. I have been karting on and off for 15 years and I still learn something new everytime I go.
(Even though I usually get the fastest time!)

By the sounds of it, we have a few F1 driver's on here in the wrong profession!

Just a bit of advice that i found that worked for me, of course you can learn eveytime you go but i found it easier to go into corners as fast as possible and if you start going wide you know your going to quick and to slow it down a bit.

Maybe as you usually get fastest time, you should impart some of your wisdom upon him.
Old 09 May 2012, 05:36 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

9st? Bloody hell how did you not come 1st?
Old 09 May 2012, 06:57 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Evrytime Iv been Karting the scrawniest person won & the craziest came second whilst evryone else was just glad to still be in one piece.
Old 09 May 2012, 07:18 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Everyone is the same once you get into race, they must win. Be smooth and keep the inside line mainly as it is usually difficult to overtake a similar level driver. The best advantage you could have is to be light in weight-major advantage. You don't see big F1 racing drivers do you?
Old 09 May 2012, 08:17 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Evrytime Iv been Karting the scrawniest person won & the craziest came second whilst evryone else was just glad to still be in one piece.

Pretty much what I experienced!

...so if I drive crazy as well next time, I should come first then?
Old 09 May 2012, 09:39 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

When I went we done a 50 lap endurance race, with 15 mins quali session, which I used to explore the limits of the track and kart.

Won the race by the first corner using the tactic of holding down brake and loud pedal at the same, while everyone else was just idling.

Got the tyres upto temp quickly, others commented it took a few laps to get the tyres to stick and won by about 40 seconds in the end.

This was in the winter time on an outside track, indoors methods mentioned wouldn't matter that much.
Old 10 May 2012, 02:03 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

It's crazy the difference between actual good drivers and the random people that turn up for a laugh. When I go with friends or family I usually end up effectively lapping everyone but when I go with some of my friends from uni who are trained racing drivers I almost always end up near the back of the pack