German shepherd pups...tips to sell

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2012, 11:20 PM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German shepherd pups...tips to sell

Hey guys

My dog had her pups six weeks ago now and living in a house with 8 dogs is driving me nuts. They are amazing but I thought they would have sold much quicker. So far I've had one text and no phone calls. I've advertised locally and was hoping you all could give me some tips on places I can advertise them? Really didn't expect this to be so hard but scared stiff I'm gonna be stuck with a wolf pack!!!
Old 04 May 2012, 12:01 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can't be talking about puppies in these parts and not post pics
Old 04 May 2012, 01:16 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Are they pedigree? If not that could be your problem or maybe you're asking too much. People haven't got money to spare at the minute so the last thing they want is to be buying something that is going to cost them to keep.
Old 04 May 2012, 07:23 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed, GSD are expensive and people like to know what they are getting.

We got a whole family tree, photos of the father and to meet the mother before buying ours.

Luckily you tend to find these days the idiots don't own them, or at least around here they don't (apart from me)
Old 04 May 2012, 07:23 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Out of interest how much are you selling them for ?
Old 04 May 2012, 07:43 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Agreed....

GSD's aint a paticularly popular dog anymore...And prospective owners are very much "in the know"..People that also just sell to anyone with a few quid cause the revolving door of German shepherds being in rescue centres.

Good hip scores,bloodlines and pedigree are a must along with being able to see the Dam and Sire...All vet fee's,microchipping and starter pack are usually the "norm" from breeders.

Expect £400-£800 for a top dog with superb parenting..

Also,IMHO there is a social shift from owners to go for rescue dogs...ATM there is a massive amount of GSD's in the German Shepherd Rescue centres around the country.Thats what we did when we got our GSD last year..

When we got him......He looked sad,lost and vacant for a 1yr old pup..

1 yr later,he seems a lot happier..........

Old 04 May 2012, 08:24 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you not do you research before hand? I have a 6 week old litter of Labrador puppies and had a huge waiting list for them before they were even born and all sold as soon as they were born.

Get on Champdogs, pay the money to register and advertise and get the litter on there pronto. I hope you have hip scores etc as that is what people will be interested in most as well as 5 generation pedigree history.

If they aren't pedigree you won't be able to give them away so expect that wolf pack to eat you out of house and home.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 04 May 2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04 May 2012, 08:53 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

You might have a bit of a job selling them as Pedigree GSD. When I got my boy I had to sign to say I would not use him for stud as I am not a registered breeder. He has a massive lineage (is that the word?) but if I did stud him, the pups would not be recognised. Best of luck though, they are gorgeous dogs.
fatscoobfella1, he is beautiful

My boy (excuse the destroyed cat scratching post in the background )

Old 04 May 2012, 09:04 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Lee who told you that, the Kennel Club? If not then whoever it was spouted a load of old boll0cks to you just to stop you adding competition to that seller's business as only the Kennel Club is authorised to make those decisions regarding pedigree dogs and what is and what isn't recognised.

I wasn't a breeder until I had this litter and there is no restriction from preventing you being one. However the research you do and the work you put in and registering with the Kennel Club goes a long way to determining how successful you will be with breeding and selling your litters.

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 04 May 2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:11 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Such gorgeous dogs

I was brought up with a GSD and my grandparents had them, this was back in the day when they were considered dangerous dogs. Apparently ours was great with us when we were toddlers, folks said they once had to rush into the front room as they could here the dog yelping mostly because I was hauling myself to standing using his underbelly fur, other dogs may have snapped at me but not this one. He was very protective of the family Unfortunately had to be put to sleep due to hip displacia, not as well known about back then and no hip scoring etc. As mentioned vital if you are thinking of getting a puppy now.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:12 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Lee who told you that, the Kennel Club? If not then whoever it was spouted a load of old boll0cks to you just to stop you adding competition to that seller's business as only the Kennel Club is authorised to make those decisions regarding pedigree dogs and what is and what isn't recognised.

I wasn't a breeder until I had this litter and there is no restriction from preventing you being one. However the research you do and the work you put in and registering with the Kennel Club goes a long way to determining how successful you will be with breeding and selling your litters.
Oh, Thanks for that. The breeder told me. Typical. Ah well, we enjoy having him as a pet. He's a cracking dog.
I am not really interested in breeding from him, to be honest. Cheers again, for letting me know
Old 04 May 2012, 09:22 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Studding your dog can bring in a lot of money (although can be big downsides to go with it) and the owner of the stud dog I used has gone very quiet on me since finding out i've kept the boy pup from my litter because no doubt she is concerned whether I will stud him and be competition to her stud dog. So it's not surprising some people will do anything they can to stop you using a pup they sell to you to not breed from.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:39 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You can advertise litters on The Kennel Club website.

I must admit, my knowledge of GSDs is limited, however, in the Newfoundland circles, most responsible breeders have a waiting list before the mating even takes place.

GSDs are on the KC's watch list for hereditary problems, could have an impact on people looking for one?
Old 04 May 2012, 09:42 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I was going to use the Kennel Club puppy finder service for mine but Champdogs now seems to be the number 1 place to sell litters through. I had a massive response through there and although I had the use of the Kennel Club service I didn't need to use it.

This is where you need to have your GSD puppies advertised with an advert detailing all the info everyone else has put up:

http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/ge...rd-dog/puppies

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 04 May 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:44 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell people they are half Poodle, call them a "Alsapoo" and they will go quickly.
Old 04 May 2012, 09:52 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I must admit, my knowledge of GSDs is limited, however, in the Newfoundland circles, most responsible breeders have a waiting list before the mating even takes place.
This is how it should be done for any litter of any breed. Advertising locally as the OP seems to have done is not the correct way to go about trying to sell a litter of puppies which is why at 6 weeks they haven't sold any. They all should have been chosen by their owners by now and being prepared to go off to their new homes at 8 weeks.

After 8 weeks old they will become even more difficult to sell and any price asked for them will almost certainly be negligible and so a very costly exercise when you add up what it will have cost from the pre mating health tests such as hip scoring (cost me £180 but some vets quoted £350+), stud fee (£500+), vet fees during pregnancy, vet fees once the puppies are born not to mention the vast quantities of dog food consumed.
Old 04 May 2012, 10:56 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I've wanted a GSD since I was little so dont be showing me any pictures or saying if you're anywhere near Lincoln!

At the moment I'm putting off getting one until me house is in better shape. It's not really had any work done on it in the past decade so since I bought it last October I'm in DIY mode.
Her indoors has been mentally bullied into accepting there's going to be a GSD in the house soon though.
I really cant wait!
Old 04 May 2012, 11:02 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I'd do it the other way around, get the puppy, wait until it has finished destroying everything and then do the DIY
Old 04 May 2012, 12:02 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I'd do it the other way around, get the puppy, wait until it has finished destroying everything and then do the DIY
Ha, yeah thought about that. Just dont like my old kitchen and bathroom!
Old 04 May 2012, 12:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I would love one but too much Dog for us, think with the recession as well people are either not getting a dog or going smaller to keep the food bills down.

I would rather give them away to people who have the wherewithall to care for them than sell them cheap to whoever turns up.
Old 04 May 2012, 12:34 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chewystickypeanut
Hey guys

My dog had her pups six weeks ago now and living in a house with 8 dogs is driving me nuts. They are amazing but I thought they would have sold much quicker. So far I've had one text and no phone calls. I've advertised locally and was hoping you all could give me some tips on places I can advertise them? Really didn't expect this to be so hard but scared stiff I'm gonna be stuck with a wolf pack!!!
How much to post to UK mainland?
Old 04 May 2012, 01:04 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I expect there is a breed club who will have a welfare officer or puppy liaison officer, who may be able to help home them.
Old 04 May 2012, 01:09 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

epupz.co.uk

There are also various clubs and such like, most big towns have 1 or 2 GSD clubs. Email them and see if anyone is interested.

HTH!
Old 04 May 2012, 01:10 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
I've wanted a GSD since I was little so dont be showing me any pictures or saying if you're anywhere near Lincoln!

At the moment I'm putting off getting one until me house is in better shape. It's not really had any work done on it in the past decade so since I bought it last October I'm in DIY mode.
Her indoors has been mentally bullied into accepting there's going to be a GSD in the house soon though.
I really cant wait!
How would you feel about fostering a dog, while it waits to be rehomed? The Northern Newfoundland Club is looking for foster carers. I know it's not a GSD, but they really are awesome dogs.
Old 04 May 2012, 03:49 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chewystickypeanut
Hey guys

You could give them away to someone who really wants em..unless you want the money..

i would have taken one, but i already have a wife that barks all day long
Old 04 May 2012, 03:53 PM
chewystickypeanut
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the responses guys and some amazing pics. The adult dogs are pedigree but came without papers which is why I am at a disadvantage but the reason I let the dogs have pups is the mother is a pure white shepherd and they are much easier to sell as well as two of my family wanted a white shepherd. The other problem I have just found out is they were advertised at Pets at Home and they have just changed their policy to only display free to good home dogs. I have had this breed of dog my whole life and can't ever imagine not having one....but 8 is 6 too many for me. Things have started looking up however now they are advertised a little better locally and I am going to hace a look at the reccomended web sites.
In hindsight I would never ever do this again. It is too much pressure which in one sense has been an amazing experience as we hand delivered the pups into this world and every one survived and grew to be incredible looking pups. Its a little shame that we didnt get any whites in the litter but I always refered the black and tan anyhow.
Old 04 May 2012, 06:03 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I hope you don't think I am being cheeky here, but Gumtree is free and they have a pet section. I know your puppies will be worth a lot, but you never know who might be looking for one. Just expanding from advertising on purely pet sites. Good luck
Old 04 May 2012, 06:25 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I would love one but too much Dog for us, think with the recession as well people are either not getting a dog or going smaller to keep the food bills down.

I would rather give them away to people who have the wherewithall to care for them than sell them cheap to whoever turns up.
Could be the case that Jacko....

BUT...Our GSD costs less than £7 a week to feed.... Not a lot in the big scheme of things..
People who are getting rid of a dog because of the cost are not being honest IMHO...
Old 04 May 2012, 08:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just out of curiosity, how much are you asking.
Old 05 May 2012, 12:10 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

I have to laugh just how many people think the KC are to be held in such high esteem. They are a money making organisation that represent nothing more than a register to many serious breeders of quality dogs.

They serve the masses I suppose, thinking a KC 'badge' means quality instead of telling someone the breeder is likely to be unchecked but has merely paid over some money to the KC, and so can now be selling quality dogs.

You wouldn't buy a Ferrari from Morrisons and that is why restrictions are placed, to prevent ruining a proven, decent bloodline by breeding a class dog to a totally unproven hound and at the same time only serve to strengthen a lineage. The restriction doesn't stop being a breeder but it stops registering a litter.

Many of the guys I deal with restrict registrations and buyers are just grateful to have the chance of buying such a class dog, but then they are knowledgeable within the breeds they are buying. They are not just pet owners wanting something cuddly unbeknown to them the dog might have the conformation of a arthritic crab and a temperament of Mike Tyson with a pilonidal sinus.

If the same restrictions were put on humans this country alone would improve overnight. Unfortunately it's those very people breeding extremely poor examples of a breed for a fast buck thinking that classes them as a breeder of quality dogs.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/365

Quick Reply: German shepherd pups...tips to sell