Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rotten b@stards just cancelled my operation.

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2012, 11:37 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rotten b@stards just cancelled my operation.

EIGHT hours before I was due to go in for back surgery, Hull Royal call me to tell me I've been bounced as they have an emergency.

Apparently I've ONLY waited since February 2nd, in THEIR eyes, despite EVERYONE knowing I've had this since 30th April last year Over a year, and no-one cares, all they care about is their targets.

BLOODY targets. Bloody hospitals.

Now I'm back on the waiting list and might have to wait right up to 7th June, ANOTHER FIVE WEEKS of unrelenting pain.

NHS: ****!

Last edited by alcazar; 03 May 2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02 May 2012, 11:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bollocks

Did they have you in the ward prepped and ready? Or was it just before calling you in?
Old 02 May 2012, 11:46 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand your frustration jeff but if it was a emergency that took your place , you can't that against them
Old 02 May 2012, 11:59 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Or possibly consultant forgot about his emergency golf tournament

dl

Bad luck though.
Old 02 May 2012, 12:29 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Go private
Old 02 May 2012, 12:37 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Bollocks

Did they have you in the ward prepped and ready? Or was it just before calling you in?

They had my Dad in and prepped before they canceled his operation, which meant a 100 mile round trip for me to pick him up.
Old 02 May 2012, 12:54 PM
richiewong
Twatful

My mother had her cancer op cancelled twice whilst waiting in the hospital on both days.
Full left breast mascetomy!

Shite but unfortunately emergency cases from accidents take priority
Old 02 May 2012, 01:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Old 02 May 2012, 01:21 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Very unfortunate. What specific procedure are you going in for?
Old 02 May 2012, 01:28 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother fell, broke his leg badly (was admitted to hospital) and it took them 7 days before they operated on it to fix it.
Old 02 May 2012, 01:37 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by urban
My brother fell, broke his leg badly (was admitted to hospital) and it took them 7 days before they operated on it to fix it.
Could that be due to swelling though?

My dad had to wait two weeks with a broken ankle before it could be operated on.

Although the swelling was directly caused by the stupidly long wait in A&E for X-ray....Six hours if I remember rightly..then another two hours after x-ray once they figured what to do.....by which time the ankle was inoperable due to the swelling.
Old 02 May 2012, 01:48 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
EIGHT hours before I was due to go in for back surgery, Hull Royal call me to tell me I've been bounced as they have an emergency.

Apparently I've ONLY waited since February 2nd, in THEIR eyes, despite EVERYONE knowing I've had this since 30th April last year Over a year, and no-one cares, all they care about is their targets.

BLOODY targets. Bloody hospitals.

Now I'm back on the waiting list and might have to wait right up to 7th June, ANOTHER FIVE WEEKS of unrelenting pain.

NHS: ****!
Are you having a discectomy?
Old 02 May 2012, 02:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Yes, discectomy.

Wasat at home eight hours before going in tonight.
I know about emergencies, but I CANNOT believe there isn't SOMEONE who has waited less time than my year and three days.......

Want to bet that when they DO call me again, I have to go over for the three hour pre-assessment again?
Only a 66 mile round trip and £3 across the bridge, kerching!

If I could afford to go private, I would do it. I can't.
Old 02 May 2012, 02:58 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I had one in 2001 after spending nearly 6 months in agony, sleeping on the floor at home.
To be honest I've never been completely right after the op and over the last 18 months my back has gone progressively worse.

Saw my doctor 2 weeks ago and he wants be to be re-assessed as my mobility is far worse now, have an appointment at the spinal clinic in 2 weeks time.

Hope you don't have to wait too long and good luck with the op.
Old 02 May 2012, 05:11 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I'm always amazed that a single emergency is enough for the NHS to start cancelling routine operations. Quite apart from the disruption to the patient it must create a huge extra admin burden.

Any commercial professional organisation faced with a similarly bursty workload would configure itself to handle these kind of problems with minimal disruption, usually by asking staff to put some extra hours in. Say what you like about lawyers, but they handle this kind of stuff all the time - so why can't health professionals do the same?
Old 02 May 2012, 05:28 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
I'm always amazed that a single emergency is enough for the NHS to start cancelling routine operations. Quite apart from the disruption to the patient it must create a huge extra admin burden.

Any commercial professional organisation faced with a similarly bursty workload would configure itself to handle these kind of problems with minimal disruption,usually by asking staff to put some extra hours in. Say what you like about lawyers, but they handle this kind of stuff all the time - so why can't health professionals do the same?

What have lawyers got to do with it? The two professions or their working environments aren't even remotely similar
Old 02 May 2012, 06:17 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Knowing the NHS, they have probably saved your life - for now
Old 02 May 2012, 06:23 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Knowing the NHS, they have probably saved your life - for now

Very good!

Old 02 May 2012, 08:28 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran routine (OK the nurses did) theatre lists when I worked in Bristol.......absolute nightmare when an emergency cropped up and someone nicked the theatre you were about to use. It made everyone very unhappy apart from the poor individual needing the emergency surgery

As an aside we run clinics here and in order to make sure we can cope with spikes the powers that be run them generally over resourced by 66% so that if there is something that crops up then it can be fitted in.

Downside is that they pay someone to do nothing for 66% of the clinic time..

Shaun
Old 02 May 2012, 08:51 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

nightmare mate, maybe was multiple emergancies that took precedance?

suppose its maybe not just the days events but the lengthy initial wait also.
whan my mother was dying from cancer she was admitted to the beatson clinic and she was so well catered for and looked after during all treatments and ops

then she chose to die at home, which was honoured, with great support from Maggies and other help.

with nhs, bar a few isloted incidents with my son, i really cant complain about my experiences of patient care- guess this is maybe what they mean with postcode lottery
Old 02 May 2012, 11:32 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
What have lawyers got to do with it? The two professions or their working environments aren't even remotely similar
Not sure I see your point. They are two professional occupations, highly paid (at the top end at least) so seems like a valid comparison to me. My point is that lots of lawyers deal with a much more variable workload, and the ethos in the profession is to do what it takes to get the job done. The culture among health professional seems to be the exact opposite (at least once they are past training) - very regimented working patterns with seemingly little flexibility to adapt to spikes in work load.
Old 03 May 2012, 07:05 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
Not sure I see your point. They are two professional occupations, highly paid (at the top end at least) so seems like a valid comparison to me. My point is that lots of lawyers deal with a much more variable workload, and the ethos in the profession is to do what it takes to get the job done. The culture among health professional seems to be the exact opposite (at least once they are past training) - very regimented working patterns with seemingly little flexibility to adapt to spikes in work load.

You must see my point as the rest of your post tries to address it!

I'll repeat and say the two professions are far from comparable.

Just because they are often mentioned in the same breath as the 'top professions' does not make their working styles, demands and environments comparable.

I cannot see how you think lawyers deal with a more variable and unpredictable work load than doctors.

What is the legal equivalent of say a multi car pile up involving thirty people all requiring life saving/urgent treatment suddenly happening?

Or a fire in a block of flats meaning suddenly ten people turn up with serious burn injuries and smoke inhalation?

Or a whole ward being closed due to a C Diff outbreak? Or a flu epidemic? (swine flu wasn't that long ago)

A few weeks of snow that suddenly means you have three times as many people with broken ankles and hips as you usually have?

Who do you think has major incident plans in place to deal with potentially massive spikes in demand ie a terrorist attack or major natural disaster? Lawyers?

As far as I know nobody fast paged the lawyers when the 7/7 bombings took place

Lawyers might pull the occasional all nighter but this is just not in the same league as the unpredictability in demand that the health service can face.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 03 May 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03 May 2012, 07:17 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

i think the nhs is brilliant for emergencies but not so for cases like this post, i think its probably down to lack of funding and lack of trained staff, ive seen the hours some of these top surgeons do, god knows how they do it.
Old 03 May 2012, 08:56 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
You must see my point as the rest of your post tries to address it!

I'll repeat and say the two professions are far from comparable.

Just because they are often mentioned in the same breath as the 'top professions' does not make their working styles, demands and environments comparable.

I cannot see how you think lawyers deal with a more variable and unpredictable work load than doctors.

What is the legal equivalent of say a multi car pile up involving thirty people all requiring life saving/urgent treatment suddenly happening?

Or a fire in a block of flats meaning suddenly ten people turn up with serious burn injuries and smoke inhalation?

Or a whole ward being closed due to a C Diff outbreak? Or a flu epidemic? (swine flu wasn't that long ago)

A few weeks of snow that suddenly means you have three times as many people with broken ankles and hips as you usually have?

Who do you think has major incident plans in place to deal with potentially massive spikes in demand ie a terrorist attack or major natural disaster? Lawyers?

As far as I know nobody fast paged the lawyers when the 7/7 bombings took place

Lawyers might pull the occasional all nighter but this is just not in the same league as the unpredictability in demand that the health service can face.
Lawyers need putting on a boat, shipped out to sea and sunk. Especially those flaming personal injury ones

Fingers crossed for a quick new date, alcazar
Old 03 May 2012, 09:07 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Could that be due to swelling though?

My dad had to wait two weeks with a broken ankle before it could be operated on.

Although the swelling was directly caused by the stupidly long wait in A&E for X-ray....Six hours if I remember rightly..then another two hours after x-ray once they figured what to do.....by which time the ankle was inoperable due to the swelling.
Apparently not - theatre waiting list, and emergency cases taking priority
Old 03 May 2012, 10:56 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When you think about it, an emergency always has to take priority. Of course it is upsetting but if it is more urgent than booked surgery,what else can they do? They cannot afford the spare beds or people to do the operations either.

Les
Old 03 May 2012, 01:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I have no argument with that, Les.

What enrages me is their silly system of moving you from one waiting list to anotgher, so, even though the TOTAL wait is over a year, they can say that no-one waits more than eighteen weeks etc.
Old 03 May 2012, 05:03 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
When you think about it, an emergency always has to take priority. Of course it is upsetting but if it is more urgent than booked surgery,what else can they do? They cannot afford the spare beds or people to do the operations either.

Les
Yeah, but how can you leave someone lying with a badly broken leg that needed pinned for a week?
There can't have been that many emergencies for a period of 7 days - especially as we've been out of the 'troubles' for a considerable time
Old 03 May 2012, 09:52 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Yeah, but how can you leave someone lying with a badly broken leg that needed pinned for a week?
There can't have been that many emergencies for a period of 7 days - especially as we've been out of the 'troubles' for a considerable time

How do you know that?
Old 03 May 2012, 10:45 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Urban....is your local hospital Altnagelvin ?

http://www.westerntrust.hscni.net/1516.htm

Shaun

Quick Reply: Rotten b@stards just cancelled my operation.