Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

BMW Owners - Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2012, 11:34 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BMW Owners - Please Read!

My brothers 2008 BMW 535d was stolen today from outside his house. Police have been notified and car is insured.

Shame as he spent so long looking for the right car!

He asked me to pass this on, keeless entry for thieves! nothing new, but maybe to someone...

http://babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35599
Old 30 April 2012, 12:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Someone managed to open the doors on two of our beamers (locked and dead locked) without doing any damage. I still for the life me don't know how they did it as both cars were armed and locked. So it wasn't a radio jammer.

Luckily they were just after possessions (sat navs, laptops, etc), and I never keep anything of worth in the car...all they stole were keys to a deralict house thats since been demolished (address was on the key tag...would have loved to see their faces where they pulled up outside to see if it was worth breaking in ).

My cars weren't keyless though so to nick them without keys requires physically breaking the steering lock, but with the newer ones once the car is unlocked, the only security to stop it is purely electronic and in principal, all it takes is swapping the ECU/EWS etc or reflashing/recoding to make it work with another transponder, and away it goes...ignition turns on and the steering lock disengages.
Old 30 April 2012, 12:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot of information on this subject on Pistonheads. There has been talk of them becoming uninsurable due to the fact they are so easy to steal.

It also appears BMW chose to ignore reports of keyless thefts until a Premiership footballer had his stolen without keys.
Old 30 April 2012, 01:08 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Pistonheads
Old 30 April 2012, 01:16 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

There's so many Beemers about near me. The other day I saw 3 identical 5 series (apart from colour) behind each other waiting to exit a junction. I though you dicks.
Old 30 April 2012, 02:36 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

I have heard of BMW's and Land Rovers being taken by swapping out the ECU's, but if they transponder can be reprogrammed so easily.. Why can't I find anyone to program me a new spare key other than BMW ?
Old 30 April 2012, 02:54 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by 2000 sport
I have heard of BMW's and Land Rovers being taken by swapping out the ECU's, but if they transponder can be reprogrammed so easily.. Why can't I find anyone to program me a new spare key other than BMW ?
Is there any dodgy pubs near you?
Old 30 April 2012, 04:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Find a good Indy garage with Autologic equipment and licensing it "should" allow key programming assuming they know how to use it (well, you can code and flash blank ECUs with it although it may require a few calls to their tech support ).

We have a Autologic....but not the licensing to allow it to work with BMWs (its an extra £5K a year on top of what we already pay )

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 April 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 30 April 2012, 05:17 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Is it just me that thinks modern cars are getting too caught up with unneeded electrical gadgets like keyless entry and thing like this.
My mates girlfriend had the handbrake fail on her Audi a5 which has one of these push button handbrakes. It rolled off the drive and demolished a neighbours garage.
Cars are becoming too bogged down with gadgets IMO
Old 30 April 2012, 05:19 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Have been reading through the forums, and its amazing how common this issue is with BMW's - yet BMW deny all knowledge of it..
Old 30 April 2012, 06:18 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

They are breaking the window and reaching down to the obd port plugging in and reprogramming, it's a blind spot for the alarm so makes them the most easy to steal car for basically 300 quid

Never new alarms had blind spots!
Old 30 April 2012, 07:05 PM
w44syf
Scooby Regular

sorry to hear mate, iv seen a lot of 5 series being stolen recently, my friends 535 was picked up from his drive few weeks ago
Old 01 May 2012, 11:01 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Someone managed to open the doors on two of our beamers (locked and dead locked) without doing any damage. I still for the life me don't know how they did it as both cars were armed and locked. So it wasn't a radio jammer.

Luckily they were just after possessions (sat navs, laptops, etc), and I never keep anything of worth in the car...all they stole were keys to a deralict house thats since been demolished (address was on the key tag...would have loved to see their faces where they pulled up outside to see if it was worth breaking in ).

My cars weren't keyless though so to nick them without keys requires physically breaking the steering lock, but with the newer ones once the car is unlocked, the only security to stop it is purely electronic and in principal, all it takes is swapping the ECU/EWS etc or reflashing/recoding to make it work with another transponder, and away it goes...ignition turns on and the steering lock disengages.
When you say locked and deadlocked, are you pressing the key fob twice to supposedly deadlock the car?
On recent models,E9*, the second press of the fob doesn't dead lock,it turns off the interior alarm sensors.
You probably know this and I don't know what model you have,but others may not be aware.
In relation to Autologic,using it to get the audible alarm "armed/unarmed" feature enabled is worthwile.Takes a few seconds to do.Especially as jammers are more widely used than you would think.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:09 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9vmlRy_qg

That easy
Old 01 May 2012, 02:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Is it just me that thinks modern cars are getting too caught up with unneeded electrical gadgets like keyless entry and thing like this.
My mates girlfriend had the handbrake fail on her Audi a5 which has one of these push button handbrakes. It rolled off the drive and demolished a neighbours garage.
Cars are becoming too bogged down with gadgets IMO
People seem to want this crap though, whether it be seats that massage you, or scented climate control, or a dozen differnt 'modes'. The likes of BMW are definitely the worst for it having said that. It's a kind of marketing ploy.
Old 01 May 2012, 02:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by billyray911
When you say locked and deadlocked, are you pressing the key fob twice to supposedly deadlock the car?
On recent models,E9*, the second press of the fob doesn't dead lock,it turns off the interior alarm sensors.
You probably know this and I don't know what model you have,but others may not be aware.
In relation to Autologic,using it to get the audible alarm "armed/unarmed" feature enabled is worthwile.Takes a few seconds to do.Especially as jammers are more widely used than you would think.
Yeah I know. Just a lot people don't realise on click on the remote deadlocks it. Just in case someone thinks they pulled the interior door handles with a bent coat hanger.
Old 01 May 2012, 08:55 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by billyray911
Good post.
You'd think the main stealers would be offering to set the audible alarm for free bearing in mind all the bad press they're getting at the moment. But the ******* still want to pull your pants down and charge a bloody fortune.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:28 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Youtube is your friend / enemy here, loads of clips showing how it's done. Ditto starting the car without any keys loads of threads on P/Heads too ... be interesting to hear what Moley thinks about future insurance premiums as there is talk of beemers being almost un-insurable.

TX.

Edit - oops, post #3

Last edited by Terminator X; 01 May 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01 May 2012, 09:37 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

I went to a local Indy,got chatting and they enabled it for free!
Old 02 May 2012, 10:41 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Wink

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Youtube is your friend / enemy here, loads of clips showing how it's done. Ditto starting the car without any keys loads of threads on P/Heads too ... be interesting to hear what Moley thinks about future insurance premiums as there is talk of beemers being almost un-insurable.

TX.

Edit - oops, post #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyWYQDCRRL0

Old 02 May 2012, 07:48 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, you can't recode these;

If anyone knows otherwise, let me know as I could do with another spare key, and it would be useful if it cost me less than £200...
Old 03 May 2012, 05:34 AM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

What years of the brand are we talking? Has the OBD ports moved from say a 2001MODEL?
Old 03 May 2012, 02:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

seems to be sugestions on it possibly being an inside job. I can't imagine they will be interested in my e39 lol
Old 03 May 2012, 02:34 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

AFAIK, you can't recode these;

If anyone knows otherwise, let me know as I could do with another spare key, and it would be useful if it cost me less than £200...
Any BMW that has a push button start...can be coded..so the one in the pic you can - as my brother had this key for his car..

mine is a 2005 and it has a key, so not as easy

scam is:
  1. Break Window
  2. Alarm does not go off if done correctly
  3. reach into the car connect to the port - blind spot for the alarm on all BMW's!
  4. code new key
  5. unlock car
  6. start and drive off

Plenty on youtube...further links can be found in the first port i put up...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669883

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmPf...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI58s...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9vm...e_gdata_player

Last edited by SamUK; 03 May 2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03 May 2012, 02:37 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
What years of the brand are we talking? Has the OBD ports moved from say a 2001MODEL?
2001 still requires a key to start - so they would need an identical key to start with..so more difficult..
Old 03 May 2012, 05:57 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Any BMW that has a push button start...can be coded..so the one in the pic you can - as my brother had this key for his car..

mine is a 2005 and it has a key, so not as easy

scam is:
  1. Break Window
  2. Alarm does not go off if done correctly
  3. reach into the car connect to the port - blind spot for the alarm on all BMW's!
  4. code new key
  5. unlock car
  6. start and drive off

Plenty on youtube...further links can be found in the first port i put up...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669883

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVmPf...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI58s...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9vm...e_gdata_player
That does look useful, but the machine cost 8000Euros, so probably cheaper to get a new key from BMW..
Old 03 May 2012, 08:52 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

That does look useful, but the machine cost 8000Euros, so probably cheaper to get a new key from BMW..
You can pick it up for £300...though depends on how many BMW's you are planing on nicking lol
Old 02 July 2012, 10:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Pistonheads are featuring an article with footage of a 1M being stolen in under 3 minutes, see the video here.
Old 02 July 2012, 10:52 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

just buy a good old fashioned crook lock ;-) or another car...
Old 02 July 2012, 10:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Ah the old half tennis ball.

Quick Reply: BMW Owners - Please Read!