Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Trading my car in but

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2012, 07:23 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trading my car in but

i know its dishonest but if i trade my car in at a garage knowing there is a big fault with the engine once i have signed it over and taken the new car is there anything the garage can do about it
Old 09 April 2012, 07:27 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Dunno, depends on the fault and if they are savvy enough to a) inspect it prior to the sale and b) actually find it.

It is dishonest, yes, but happens more than you probably think.
Old 09 April 2012, 07:28 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Just think of it as karma for all the pieces of **** they sell to unsuspecting customers.
Old 09 April 2012, 07:36 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

the thing is iv had quotes of £4000 for the fault rectified its a big job
but i don't want it coming back and biting my in the **** i can cope with abuse of the garage but i dont want them to make me have it back and take the new car back
Old 09 April 2012, 07:39 PM
eelz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Just think of it as karma for all the pieces of **** they sell to unsuspecting customers.
its because of this reason though.!

thing is, when they sell the car on, most usually have a 3 month warranty for the new buyer so its usually the warranty's insurance underwriter that takes the bill
Old 09 April 2012, 08:01 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

a salesman will look at it start it and thats it, oh and hpi it, if they choose not to inspect it further its there fsault, your doing nothing worng, however bare one thing in mind if you bring yours backa few weeks later they wont be so keen to help you lol
Old 09 April 2012, 08:07 PM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Don't do it, you know it's wrong so man up and do the right thing, too many dishonest people in this country, don't become one of them, it's certain it will bite you in the **** in some way.
Old 09 April 2012, 08:08 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Someone will end up with a HUGE bollocking for trusting you and karma will come back and bite you in the *** for sure ;-)

Legally, I'm sure the garage won't have a leg to stand on but that doesn't make it right.

One of the reasons this country is a sh!thole.
Old 09 April 2012, 08:08 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What problem?
Old 09 April 2012, 08:13 PM
b road blaster
Scooby Regular

if they have allready looked at the car and given you a price for it then yep i would trade it just turn up to collect the new car park it up do the paperwork and run. there problem if they can't be botherd to check it over properly.
but would never do it to a private sale as said above with a dealer i look at it as karma.
Old 09 April 2012, 08:23 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Almost everyone who trades are car in to a dealer is trying to rip them off in some way, I cannot fathom how people accuse car dealers of being dishonest at the same time as doing thier best to part ex them a ****ed car. I can bet that there are more honest car dealers out there than there are honest customers. Main dealers do not count of course as they are theiving *******s themselves.
Old 09 April 2012, 08:28 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^^^^
Now there's a sweeping generalisation!
I've never ripped anyone off in my life and I'm not about to start
Old 09 April 2012, 08:31 PM
JohnSmith
Scooby Regular

Dealers overprice their cars anyway when trading one in as the trade in price has already been added to the sale price of the one you are buying
Old 09 April 2012, 08:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you trading your knackered car for one of theirs? Isn't that just as much of a gamble?

If all you have to sign is the bit of the V5 theres nothing they can do. If you have to sign a disclaimer it might not be that clear cut.
Old 09 April 2012, 08:58 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Does it cause an dashboard light to show? would you know about the problem if the engine is started / running?

Most dealers look inside, switch on the ignition and rarely start the engine so most would not pick up on most unobvious problems, as far as recourse I doubt they have any especially if it is a fault that could have happened at anytime ir one that is slow to become terminal i.e you know its there but you don't necessary need to fix it until it either goes or is near its end life.

Personally I think you should just take it in and if theyspot it withdraw from any sale if not then its all sorted (provided it doesnt go while you are waiting to pick the new one up lol)
Old 09 April 2012, 09:21 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sold as see, the dealer will throw it to auction anyway so won't give a ****.
Old 09 April 2012, 09:39 PM
TURBOTRONICS
Scooby Regular

the problem is on my audi s4 v8 they are prone to start up rattle on the timing chains
the tensioners become worn and allow the oil to drain back so when you start it up they rattle like hell for a few seconds but its gone one step further and the tensioners are now worn. when you start it from cold and allow the rattle to stop but not worm up its fine the next time you start it as long as you take your time and dont flog it
but as the chains are on the back of the engine its a very big job and very expensive
Old 10 April 2012, 09:09 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Get a quote from webuyanycar, if it's any good, sell it to them. No problems after that if you have any problems with your new car.
Old 10 April 2012, 09:11 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnSmith
Dealers overprice their cars anyway when trading one in as the trade in price has already been added to the sale price of the one you are buying
What lol?

How does that even work?! So, if your px is worth £5k, you're saying the dealer has added £5k onto the selling price anyway?

I know most cars have a margin in them but your regular cars don't have £5k!
Old 10 April 2012, 10:46 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TURBOTRONICS
the problem is on my audi s4 v8 they are prone to start up rattle on the timing chains
the tensioners become worn and allow the oil to drain back so when you start it up they rattle like hell for a few seconds but its gone one step further and the tensioners are now worn. when you start it from cold and allow the rattle to stop but not worm up its fine the next time you start it as long as you take your time and dont flog it
but as the chains are on the back of the engine its a very big job and very expensive
Think the lesson here is a 60k car has 60k running costs whether you pay 60k or 6k for it.

Looks like a bit of maintainence might have helped so if you do swap, get one you can afford to look after!

webuyanycar.com is probably a good call. However, selling a car, even privately with a known fault could get you in trouble. If they ask you directly and you lie they could well come after you as this isn't a worn pad or something.

Of course, the thing there is a known problem....

5t.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:18 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

i think it is a sad state of affairs if you have to come on here and ask people's opinion about knowingly deceiving someone. It does not matter if they are ****ty thieving dealers, it does not make it right.

I would have hoped your conscience should be a yardstick of your honesty.

If you were doing this as a way of getting back at someone who had fleeced you or had done you out of 4K then maybe, just maybe it might be classed as okay (ish) but I doubt this is the case here
Old 10 April 2012, 11:23 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

^^^^^As above^^^^^

I'm amazed at the amount of people condoning it aswell.

It's a sad society we live in.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:42 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Almost everyone who trades are car in to a dealer is trying to rip them off in some way, I cannot fathom how people accuse car dealers of being dishonest at the same time as doing thier best to part ex them a ****ed car. I can bet that there are more honest car dealers out there than there are honest customers. Main dealers do not count of course as they are theiving *******s themselves.
Ha ha that is very true.

I don't think it is right personally to try and trade a car in if you know it has a major fault and you don't mention this. Having said that I firmly believe most car dealers and their salespeople are scum and trying to rip you off anyway. To be honest if I was trying to trade a dodgy car in I would probably avoid an independent so as not to really harm anyone.
Old 10 April 2012, 11:45 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
webuyanycar.com is probably a good call.
If you want to lose all your money.

For my old Scoob they quoted me something like £200. I sold if for 4k private.
Old 10 April 2012, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that not only would you be pushing your luck but your dishonesty if you diddle them is something you would have to live with.

I think you should face up to the problem and accept your bad luck.

Les
Old 10 April 2012, 01:25 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
If you want to lose all your money.

For my old Scoob they quoted me something like £200. I sold if for 4k private.
Well £200 for a 4k car with a 4k fault is better than sweet FA is it not?

As others have said though, I don;t agree with being dishonest. I might trade a car in as the MOT is expiring or it needs a service but I wouldn't punt on something with a known (and expensive) issue.

5t.
Old 10 April 2012, 03:13 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
i think it is a sad state of affairs if you have to come on here and ask people's opinion about knowingly deceiving someone. It does not matter if they are ****ty thieving dealers, it does not make it right.

I would have hoped your conscience should be a yardstick of your honesty.

If you were doing this as a way of getting back at someone who had fleeced you or had done you out of 4K then maybe, just maybe it might be classed as okay (ish) but I doubt this is the case here
Agree.

There is a code, as they say.

I might feel easier if I said to the guy "well she does rattle like hell when you start her up".

Note I doubt it would cost the garage anything like £4k if they did take the repair on. What is it - a 2 day job plus parts?

dl
Old 10 April 2012, 03:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Could the dealer take you to a civil court? I think they have statutory rights when they effectively buy something from you.
Old 10 April 2012, 03:28 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Ha ha that is very true.

I don't think it is right personally to try and trade a car in if you know it has a major fault and you don't mention this. Having said that I firmly believe most car dealers and their salespeople are scum and trying to rip you off anyway. To be honest if I was trying to trade a dodgy car in I would probably avoid an independent so as not to really harm anyone.
I disagree, the problem is in this country that PROFIT is a dirty word. I guarantee most of you would prefer the dealers not to make any money from your deal at all.

Which lets face it, is a selfish, greedy attitude to have.

In my 13 years when I was selling cars, the number of customers who thought you were ripping them off because they "thought" their car was worth £1000-£2000 more than it was, was astonishing! Car dealers KNOW what cars are worth, if they don't, they get them underwritten by someone who does KNOW what that particular car is worth.

Or, the amount of customers who had been offered £500 more for their part ex from another dealer and come to the conclusion that you were trying to rip them off by £500! It hadn't even occurred to them that the other car may have been £500 overpriced, hence the difference.

One valuable lesson to learn is that it isn't how much you get offered for your car, it's how much it will cost you to change.

Ie, £14995 - £4995 = £10k. That's the only figure that matters. If you would rather spend your £10k at one dealer for a certain car, then happy days! If not, don't blame the dealer/salesman for the fact you're not happy.

Granted, there is always room for negotiation and sometimes the salesman will start high but that's business and sales unfortunately. If you don't like the way sales works, go and buy privately.

<rant over> lol
Old 10 April 2012, 06:22 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Propper way to do it would be engine out, and new chain etc.

Quick way, split chain, link new chain, turn engine to feed chain in/out

remove old chain join new chain....

Job done 2 hrs labour & cost of chain

Mart

Quick Reply: Trading my car in but