Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

consumer advice

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2012, 02:40 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default consumer advice

I purchased an ASUS Notebook for my daughter at Christmas from a very well known electrical store. Christmas day we could not get the Notebook to turn on so boxing day took back and got exchange no problem. Thursday my daughter turned her laptop on and the screen was all discoloured with stripes so we took back to the store to be told that even though we have a till reciept we are not covered for screen damage so they will not repair or replace is this correct ? as basically now we have bought a laptop that has lasted four mnths and is now knackered - what are my options as my daughter really wants her laptop
Old 08 April 2012, 02:44 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Has the screen been damaged? By that I mean dropped? If not and they would have to prove that it has been dropped, screens are covered just as much as anything else.

Steve
Old 08 April 2012, 02:46 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Consumer Rights Linky

Its within 6 month time limit therefore the seller has to prove the fault is through your use or otherwise sort it out for you...
Old 08 April 2012, 02:56 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Consumer Rights Linky

Its within 6 month time limit therefore the seller has to prove the fault is through your use or otherwise sort it out for you...
thank you that link very helpful will phone citizens advice on Tuesday and see what they recommend but I wont be fobbed off .

And no the laptop was not dropped or damaged in anyway my daughter always puts things away when finished with them and is very responsible
Old 08 April 2012, 03:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You could also phone your local trading standards office as if they agree with above then they are also useful to quote if you have any hassle from shop. Good luck. dl
Old 08 April 2012, 05:27 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Clean the screen well before you take it back, any sign of finger prints on the screen, they will suggest pressure has been applied to it, causing the damage
Old 09 April 2012, 01:48 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver Angel
thank you that link very helpful will phone citizens advice on Tuesday and see what they recommend but I wont be fobbed off .

And no the laptop was not dropped or damaged in anyway my daughter always puts things away when finished with them and is very responsible
You don't really need to wait around, or phone citizens advice at this point. You have proof of purchase which shows when you bought the product, and this fault falls within the 6 month period, therefore meaning it is up to the store concerned to prove if you have caused the problem, not up to you to prove otherwise.

Go back into the store, armed with this information, and ask for them to deal with it. One bit of advice, which I'm sure you'd do any way, is be polite and pleasant with whoever you deal with as it is more likely you'll get a better response. Nobody in a shop (and I work in one) likes people to come in claiming they know retail law inside out, as most don't and they are rude with it, so just go in nicely and reel off the info Did you speak to a manager, as a noraml assistant may well not know the ins and outs/hope to fob you off? If you didn't, next time ask for a manager. If you still have no joy, ask for a contact number for their head office/customer services. Alot of stores will brush people off in such situations in the hope they will go away. Good luck.
Old 09 April 2012, 05:32 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem couple years ago,bought a vaio laptop and 3 months later turned it on and nothing on the screen,although it was powering up.
Went to store and gave it them back and said i wanted a refund,they had it back but said they couldn't refund me but would repair it which could take up to a month to find out if it was repairable or they would have to replace it,wasn't going to wait that long to find out and was intending to buy a mac now instead.
Anyhow went to citizen advice and got them to print me out the relevant info under sales of goods,can't remember fully but part of it stated i was within my rights to get a refund.
Went back and asked for the store manager and presented him with the info and got my refund,£800.00
You need to ask for the store manager,as the normal store workers won't always know and just fob you off,citizen advice are useful and will print you out a copy of the info for you to have,then go back to store armed with the relevant info.
Its easy to get worked up in these situations when you have spent money on a product for it to go faulty,you take it back and they fob you off treating you like an idiot and basically don't give a ****,and you're hundreds of pounds out of pocket.But don't go back guns blazing,just remain cool and it should go your way...