Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

If Italy can deport a terrorist, why can't we?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2012, 12:49 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry If Italy can deport a terrorist, why can't we?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-fanatic.html
Old 28 March 2012, 01:03 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Because the UK is seen as a soft touch by many and for some reason the UK thinks it should blindly follow the rules of the EU where the rest of the countries, seem to decide which ones they want to follow.
Time for the UK to wise up me thinks and start playing the same game as the rest before we get completely and utterly left behind and descend into a 3rd world country.
Richard
Old 28 March 2012, 01:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Seems that Italy made their desicion in such a swift manner that by the time ECHR had decided, it was too late - once a sentance has been handed down the Italians won't go back on it. All they can do now is say "naughty boy Italy, don't do it again"....but they will, so long as Italy's legal system decides and acts quicker than the ECHR does so it can't intervene.

Now if the UK were quicker with dealing and sentancing people, and not going back on rulings (unless fresh evidence doubts their conviction), then we'd have that same benefit. Sadly because we are so slow and procrastinate on should we/shouldn't we, by the time we make that decision, the ECHR has already made it for us and we let them overpower any existing judgements

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 March 2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: rephrased
Old 28 March 2012, 01:08 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richs2891
Because the UK is seen as a soft touch by many and for some reason the UK thinks it should blindly follow the rules of the EU where the rest of the countries, seem to decide which ones they want to follow.
Time for the UK to wise up me thinks and start playing the same game as the rest before we get completely and utterly left behind and descend into a 3rd world country.
Richard
Completely agree.
Old 28 March 2012, 01:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

IMHO I think he should be deported to Strasbourg...as it its their decision that he should stay in the EU

I think the same should apply to anyone deported from the UK but is safe-haboured by overriding EU rulings.
Old 28 March 2012, 01:15 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Seems that Italy made their desicion in such a swift manner that by the time ECHR had decided, it was too late - once a sentance has been handed down the Italians won't go back on it. All they can do now is say "naughty boy Italy, don't do it again"....but they will, so long as Italy's legal system decides and acts quicker than the ECHR does so it can't intervene.

Now if the UK were quicker with dealing and sentancing people, and not going back on rulings (unless fresh evidence doubts their conviction), then we'd have that same benefit. Sadly because we are so slow and procrastinate on should we/shouldn't we, by the time we make that decision, the ECHR has already made it for us and we let them overpower any existing judgements
Italy's legal system is not normally renowned for being quick is it? Nice to know they can get things moving quickly when it suits them
Old 28 March 2012, 02:08 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
IMHO I think he should be deported to Strasbourg...as it its their decision that he should stay in the EU

I think the same should apply to anyone deported from the UK but is safe-haboured by overriding EU rulings.
Totally agree with that, if the ECHR rules that they can't be deported to their country of origin then they should provide secure facilities themselves. European super prisons to house all the suspected terrorists in Strasbourg.