Child Benefit etc.

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2012, 09:56 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Child Benefit etc.

Hi All.
Some advice needed. We had our new baby boy at Christmas and am not normally one to claim for anything.
We currently get child benefit which works out at about £80 per month which I was happy with but not sure if that is everything we are entitled too as new parents.
We currently have a joint income of £54k per year but this will go to £61,500 over the next few months. Are we able to get tax credits? is this based on earnings.
The only reason I ask is my wife is on maternity and the next 3 months are going to be very tight with her being on SMP only.
Old 09 March 2012, 09:59 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Will I get family tax credit with a join't income of £85k?
Old 09 March 2012, 10:02 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, once you have an income of circa £50k you get sweet FA
Old 09 March 2012, 10:06 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I posted about this a week ago and if your family has a joint income of more than £26k you can no longer clain child tax credits.
Old 09 March 2012, 10:28 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

TBH would you really need it on that joint income?
Old 09 March 2012, 10:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

If one of you is a higher tax payer you can kiss goodbye to the child allowance next year too..............

4900 pay cut for me then next year

Shaun
Old 09 March 2012, 10:41 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

£4500/5k a month coming in and you want a top up
Old 09 March 2012, 10:43 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Surely to clear 5 grand a month after tax / NI / Pension you would need to earn 90 grand?

Shaun
Old 09 March 2012, 10:50 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Surely to clear 5 grand a month after tax / NI / Pension you would need to earn 90 grand?

Shaun

Depends on who does your books
Old 10 March 2012, 12:21 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If you are taking home £3k plus a month, why the Hell would you need £80 a month top up? I will lose mine next year and I totally back the decision. I'd be more than happy if the benefit was scrapped in it's entirety.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:08 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

These are the types of people that abuse the system.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:30 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

We have a joint income of 45k and to be honest we cope fine, nice house, nice car etc,
Old 10 March 2012, 08:44 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Worst "look how much I earn" thread ever.
Old 10 March 2012, 09:03 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Just to add at 54k a year , you had 9 months to put money to the side for those 3 months surely?
Old 10 March 2012, 09:14 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Taken from Bitter Wallet:

Originally Posted by Mary Hinge
Pay them **** all. Their choice to have children, why the **** should they get assistance if they can’t afford the little ****ers? Why the **** should I have to prop them up? I already pay for their education, arrest them, give them medical assistance why pissed on a Friday night, and for the fire service to cut them out of the car they crashed being a dick!
Old 10 March 2012, 09:17 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Mary Hinge

yeah, but it will be my grown up kids who will be wiping up your mess and changing your catheter when you are in a nursing home..................

Shaun
Old 10 March 2012, 09:23 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mary Unhinged, some people are mental
Old 10 March 2012, 09:43 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I work full time and earn circa 35K a year. My wife does not work, we have a young daughter and it makes more financial sense for her to stay home and look after her. (anybody with a home and children will know that's a full time job on its own).
My wife used to get £20 a week for something and then £80 a month for something else. Total of £160 per month...

We received a letter recently stating that money will now decrease dramatically. She will now receive just £10 per week. So her money had dropped by £120 a month overnight !!!

My opinion on this is split. On one hand I'm pi55ed off, so many people in this country really take the pi55 benefit wise, I don't earn masses of money and that little extra really helped out. If I lost my job we could probably claim a bloody fortune but that's not me, I'd rather earn a living.
On the other side I think why should anybody get child benefits. Having children is expensive and if your not in a position to pay for them don't have any.

Don't get me wrong, we still cope without that extra money each month. We have nice cars, nice house etc but makes me angry to think that they have taken that £120 a month from us and placed it straight into the hands of somebody who, let's face it, doesn't ******* deserve it.

A pal of mine said to me recently that he was now better off for being out of work. He used to earn around £25K a year but was made redundant. He now gets more than that in benefits, why would he want to go back to work !!!

OP, your joint income is getting towards double mine.. We still just about manage, if your in need of more then maybe you need to look closer at your lifestyle.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:02 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
£4500/5k a month coming in and you want a top up
??? Good maths
Old 10 March 2012, 08:17 PM
graeme jones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
These are the types of people that abuse the system.
How am I abusing the system by receiving £80 per month my wife and I are entitled too?

We don't need the money but if there is money available to support then I don't see why you wouldn't claim for it especially when your wife is getting £124 Per week SMP not the £500+ per week she was earning pre baby?

Saving over the last 9 months would be an ideal situation but not always possible for some depending on what outgoings you have. Some mistakes were made in the past and the last 2 years have we have been rectifying them.
We double paid on a loan to clear before the baby arrived clearing £6k in the a year which was more of a priority.

Ant a hint of bitterness towards what we earn is unnecessary. The reason why I asked was that this is meant to be a knowledgeable community with many earning a lot higher than myself driving Porches and GTRs so I am not exactly a high earner or a ***** waver. If I didn't add what we earn the post is irrelevant.

Simple factual answers would have done but the usual opinionated answers are always preferred on here.
Old 10 March 2012, 08:30 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

You don't need to justify yourself on here. You pay your taxes and you get what you're entitled to, End of.

Originally Posted by graeme jones
How am I abusing the system by receiving £80 per month my wife and I are entitled too?

We don't need the money but if there is money available to support then I don't see why you wouldn't claim for it especially when your wife is getting £124 Per week SMP not the £500+ per week she was earning pre baby?

Saving over the last 9 months would be an ideal situation but not always possible for some depending on what outgoings you have. Some mistakes were made in the past and the last 2 years have we have been rectifying them.
We double paid on a loan to clear before the baby arrived clearing £6k in the a year which was more of a priority.

Ant a hint of bitterness towards what we earn is unnecessary. The reason why I asked was that this is meant to be a knowledgeable community with many earning a lot higher than myself driving Porches and GTRs so I am not exactly a high earner or a ***** waver. If I didn't add what we earn the post is irrelevant.

Simple factual answers would have done but the usual opinionated answers are always preferred on here.
Old 10 March 2012, 10:34 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

at 54k a year , you really shouldn't be needing the extra money.

We couldn't survive on smp after the year so my wife had to return to work, lifes tough sometime but just got to suck it in.

would my wife love to be off and be full time mum yes ,but she can't.

maybe why not cut down on some of your luxury's for a few months like sky, take out, eating out things like that. until you get your £7k pay rise

we have had to make hell of a lot of sacrifices since our little one came along due to the recession my annual pay has halved.

and if you try for tax credits on your earnings they'll laugh you off the phone
Old 10 March 2012, 10:42 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Our school sex ed teacher told us "If you can't afford to feed'em, don't breed 'em".
Old 10 March 2012, 11:26 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't see why someone who is a high earner and contributes to this country via his taxes and productivity shouldn't expect to receive some of the benefits he pays for. He can obviously afford to have children. What about the scum that can't but still churn them out like turds?
Old 10 March 2012, 11:31 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Well said that man

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I don't see why someone who is a high earner and contributes to this country via his taxes and productivity shouldn't expect to receive some of the benefits he pays for. He can obviously afford to have children. What about the scum that can't but still churn them out like turds?
Old 11 March 2012, 01:09 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Sterilise them.
Old 11 March 2012, 01:25 AM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

??? Good maths
Oh get off the high horse
Where in your post does it say 54-60+k before tax....it doesn't for all I know....not that I give a **** you and the good lady could be on 100k a yr between you
I'm self employed...if work drys up tough **** it's the path I chose to take
My missis doesn't work tbh I don't know if she gets any money off the goverment I've got 1 going to comp next yr, and a 2 yr old , I pay my missis house keeping
I also pay the csa for two more kids

I bet there's lads on here that are on 12k a yr but don't post up wanting advice how to put a claim in
I'll sit back and wait for the useful reply you quote me on
Nite all
Old 11 March 2012, 01:38 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Sterilise them.
They'd only get it done on the NHS. I'd be paying for that, too.
Old 11 March 2012, 05:04 AM
ukjesters
Scooby Regular

I don't earn anywhere near that amount, I'm on roughly 26k per year. When I was laid up for 5 months after major back surgery (spinal cord tumours ) I went onto ssp which worked out at about £300 per month, my mrs who works full time isn't well paid & because we hadn't done the norm & knocked out a couple of kids we got absolutely nothing from the govt. But yet we pay in month after month. Simply don't see why your entitlement to benefits should rise simply because you have kids. They are your kids, you pay for them. Us kid free units should be paid for not putting an extra burden on the money pot ie the use of midwives/hospital/schools/police for the youth disorder/remand centres/prison!
Ok that last bit was for a laugh but it does pee me off the fact that you have kids- you get, you don't have kids-you don't get.
Needs sorting, as does the whole benefits system.
And no I can't get too sleep!
Old 11 March 2012, 05:24 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukjesters
I don't earn anywhere near that amount, I'm on roughly 26k per year. When I was laid up for 5 months after major back surgery (spinal cord tumours ) I went onto ssp which worked out at about £300 per month, my mrs who works full time isn't well paid & because we hadn't done the norm & knocked out a couple of kids we got absolutely nothing from the govt. But yet we pay in month after month. Simply don't see why your entitlement to benefits should rise simply because you have kids. They are your kids, you pay for them. Us kid free units should be paid for not putting an extra burden on the money pot ie the use of midwives/hospital/schools/police for the youth disorder/remand centres/prison!
Ok that last bit was for a laugh but it does pee me off the fact that you have kids- you get, you don't have kids-you don't get.
Needs sorting, as does the whole benefits system.
And no I can't get too sleep!
its the price we pay for free speech in this country !!

Quick Reply: Child Benefit etc.