Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What's the worst job you've ever had to do?

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2012, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default What's the worst job you've ever had to do?

Minded to ask, since I've just spent an hour in a TINY loft above the boiler house/utility, placing insulation. I couln't even kneel upright
And the opening was so small I had to cut the large roll into 3 bits, and lierally SHOVE it up, then work it over pipework etc, THEN, somehow get myself up there.......
I don't know how insulation installers go on.....came down filthy, covered in crap, dead spiders, rockwool etc, plus am now coughing it up I am also soaked to the skin with sweat.

However, it pales in comparison with a job I once had while working for Hansons on the local steelworks: cleaning out an oil tank

Tank was around 2m long by 1m50 high x 1m50 wide, and contained around 150mm of thick gungey oil.

I had to kit up, (overalls, plastic overalls over the top, thigh boots, long glovs, helmet, facemask and do not forget the sweat rag tied round your forehead. Outside temperature was in the high twenties Celsius.

Then I got into the tank, and mopped it out, passing the cotton waste up to mates on top.
THEN I cleaned it out with white spirit. I could only do 30 minutes at a time inside once the white spirit was being used, as I started tripping out.......

At one point I noticed something dripping: it was my own sweat dripping off my nose end, about a drop a second.

When I came out I was glugging water, and the chargehand said, "Tha's wasting thy time time kidder. It's comin' out of thee quicker than tha can gerrit in!"

So, what horrid jobs have fellow S/Netters had?
Old 09 March 2012, 04:52 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About thirty years ago on Margaret Thatcher's "Community Programme" I had to unblock a sewer pipe that was solidly blocked up about two feet thick with turds and blue paper handtowels using only a small pointing trowel.
Old 09 March 2012, 04:56 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The cr@piest job I've ever done was a few years ago, changing the sh!tiest nappy you've ever seen on my youngest, severe wind, big quantities of runny brown stuff accentuated with bits of undigested sweetcorn, carrots and mushrooms. Went up and out of the back of the nappy and up her back in her baby grow, poor thing, I guess if you have to go, you really have to go!! The closest to that experience, job wise was working in Burger King.
Old 09 March 2012, 05:37 PM
howellsy42
Scooby Regular

Used to work at a flour mill in my teens part time
one job was to empty the pits which where about 15 to 20 feet deep and normally either had a mixture of water and rotting wheat or soil hot wheat and dust the smell would turn your stomach one would be down the pit shovelling the crap and two would be up top lowering buckets on ropes and pulling it back

all at an hourly rate of £3.05
Old 09 March 2012, 05:40 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

£3.05........that's what I was on.
Old 09 March 2012, 05:54 PM
LSherratt
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shovelling chicken sh*t for 3 hours solid in a chicken shed housing 4000 chickens. The smell would wrench on your stomach for the first hour until you got used to it. Sometimes if it was sloppy and wet, everytime you shovelled and dug futher into the muck, you'd get a fresh "woft" of the smell.

Also being winched down inside a 30 tonne capacity wheat silo and brushing/cleaning down the walls.
Old 09 March 2012, 05:59 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

1/
Envisage a huge vacuum cleaner that draws the dust off of hundreds of tonnes of heated stone into a v-shaped steel room.
Well that's what's called a "bag house" in the asphalt business.
When the discharge screw in the bottom of the bag house stops turning, you have to get inside and shovel tonnes of "filler" (read stone dust with the consistency of flour) out by hand. Boiling hot, paper overalls, 3m paper breathing mask, standing on sloping edges or the screw itself. Not good. Thing is , I was the Manager of the plant and decided to lead by example and ended up doing the job myself.

2/
Asphalt plant again: Making red asphalt, throwing bags of red pigment powder into the mixer box on the plant, on an outdoor platform, in windy conditions, in the rain, for an hour or so, and with every bag that goes in theres an accompanying ejection of red dust all over your face and into your mouth and up your nose. Not a good look when you finally climb down the ladder.
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Handing my old Spaniel to the vet to be put down. Still remember her eyes looking forlornly at me.....

dl
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doing loft insulation in the middle of summer when I was a joiner's labourer comes close for me too. Was certainly the most uncomfortable job I had when I worked for him. Grew to like it in a strange way though... a bit of character building.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:05 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

laying loft insulation as a job must be the worst surely. god done my own myself what a horrible job.
cant think of any really bad jobs ive done, the usual boring stuff but suppose the worst is order picking for co-op in the freezer, warmest it gets is -23
Old 09 March 2012, 06:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

On a SWOs working party down at the Falklands, they had used up all the rock salt in the shed, and we were expecting a hard frost so muggins and a load of oher RAF guys and pongoes had to grab hundreds of bags of the salt, cut them open and fill the shed. Each bag was about the size of a small sack of spuds.

It got in our mouthes, eyes, cuts, and was saltier than a salty thing in Salzburg. Our kit had to be thrown in the bin, the boots just fell apart and were unpolishable (if that is even a word!).

We did this for a whole day, and the fvcking pongo Sgt(who had stood the pongo cpls down so they didn't have to suffer the indignity of doing the job) came across and without even looking at us, said 'Good job guys, see you tomorrow'.

Fvcking weasely little pr1ck.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:21 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Handing my old Spaniel to the vet to be put down. Still remember her eyes looking forlornly at me.....

dl
This makes me been in this situation a few times, never gets easier!
Old 09 March 2012, 06:21 PM
Will
BANNED

A few years ago I drove a HGV for a courier company that also delivered pallets. I was sent to a private house with 50 bags of Organic Duck Feed. Each bag was 25kg. I couldn't believe it when I arrived at the farm!! Couldn't get the truck down there, the road was so narrow that I had to block it!! Then realized that the long drive going down to the house was all fooking gravel, so I couldn't use the pump up truck!!

There was no one in and it had 'PLEASE LEAVE IN BARN' on the paper work

The house had an out swinging gate! I could only open it a bit as the truck was in the way! I had to close it and open it everytime I went through!

Anyway, the fooking barn was 200 yards away from my truck, and it was pissing it down

And I had to stop to move the fecking truck about 7 times to let vehicles pass! Meaning that I had to jump on the back and move the pallet off the tail lift, close the tail lift etc etc

I looked like a drowned rat when I finished And sweating at the same time, I had steam coming off my head

Last edited by Will; 09 March 2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09 March 2012, 06:24 PM
Kirstiestar
Scooby Regular

I work in racing (horse) and pulling up the rubber matting they stand on is not only back breaking but the spell of old stale **** and the pools of it that sit underneath the matting are vile, proper makes you gag!
Old 09 March 2012, 06:29 PM
stuart69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kirstiestar
I work in racing (horse) and pulling up the rubber matting they stand on is not only back breaking but the spell of old stale **** and the pools of it that sit underneath the matting are vile, proper makes you gag!
I would of thought cleaning a cheesey sheath worse
Old 09 March 2012, 06:35 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Worst job I've done has to be cleaning the the dogs sick up. He is alergic to everthing and we tried James whirbler fish pellet things.. Oh my god. I gagged with every sniff. It was the only time I have ever gagged. The warm smell of rotten fish..
Old 09 March 2012, 06:53 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Worst job i ever had was about six months ago.
Mrs ex vauxhall's fat bastar* mate came round to ours for a shi*.
Blocked the bog with the biggest load of crap i have ever seen in my life, plus she was on the blob, so jam rag too just to top it off.

Could i **** get it to go down, had to remove the bog, take it outside and tip it upside down,

She's now barred from my house!
Old 09 March 2012, 06:59 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Wtf

TX.
Old 09 March 2012, 07:04 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Double WTF!
Old 09 March 2012, 07:05 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Double WTF!
When I saw that you had posted, I expected to see thet your worst job was some Windows based nightmare!!
Old 09 March 2012, 07:07 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

It's gods honest truth fellas, a shi* you not.
Couldnt come up with any other solution without calling someone out with a tanker and a jetter.
Luckily our bathroom is downstairs, next to the front door!

I will never forget it, sends chills down my spine,

I hate that woman for what she put me through
Old 09 March 2012, 07:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Myles
When I saw that you had posted, I expected to see thet your worst job was some Windows based nightmare!!
I'm living that dream right now, two more days then it's back to 100% Apple.
Old 09 March 2012, 07:29 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
Blocked the bog with the biggest load of crap i have ever seen in my life, plus she was on the blob, so jam rag too just to top it off.

Could i **** get it to go down, had to remove the bog, take it outside and tip it upside down,

really did pmsl, still laughing
Old 09 March 2012, 07:41 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

I used to work in a steelworks in their two week summer shutdown. Plenty of shovelling iron filings, for about £1.80 an hour. Worst job I got assigned was in a pit knee deep in foul smelling waste oil, shovelling the oil into buckets for someone else to pull up and dispose of. I'm sure H&S wouldn't allow it nowadays, surprised I didn't get cancer.
Old 09 March 2012, 07:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall

I think we have a winner.

Worst one for me was working on and valeting a Peugeot 406 company car that belonged to an employee/rep that died....he was an alcoholic with a severe eczema problem (probably due to cirrhosis). The car was full of dead skin, it reeked of red wine and the gove box was full of minibottle screw tops and congealed red wine. Mouldy sandwiches in the footwells and what looked like snot wiped on the steering wheel. There were also dubious stains on the driver's seats that was probably urine.

I drew the short straw due to my very poor sense of smell...but even that wasn't enough to stop me from gagging.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 March 2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09 March 2012, 07:52 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Spent have a day cleaning aircraft at Gatwick.
Was ok untill i was told to clean a toilet someone had been sick in (violently).
One sniff and i walked off the plane and handed my notice in. Wasn't for me.
Old 09 March 2012, 08:00 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

Me and 2 others had to unload by hand a 48 foot lorry container full of bags of coal. We were a bit black at the end and then had to walk up Kelevedon (Essex) high street to find a phone to getthe works minibus to come and get us.

We got a few strange looks on the way up the strret lol
Old 09 March 2012, 08:00 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Spent have a day cleaning aircraft at Gatwick.
You were wasted in that job, Mr Yoda.
Old 09 March 2012, 08:20 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

'Half a day' that was supposed to say!

I spent 2 years studying Aviation Studies at college, and when we left we were advised to get any job at the airport, no matter how low, and work our way up.

Will still go back to the airport one day (in ops/flight dispatch), just don't fancy the shiftwork.
Old 09 March 2012, 08:55 PM
euan_r
Scooby Regular

Not quite sure of worst.

Putting lambs down with whatever comes to hand quickly after crows have eaten their eyes out and came across them still living is up there. Not sure what defra would advise to do in such situations but im sure they would come up with an appropriate plan of action from behind there desks.

Braking ice on top of drainage hole and jumping in with jetter wasnt to clever either. Lost half a stone that day but only did an hours work so cant complain lol.

Wouldnt like to be work in a+e.

Quick Reply: What's the worst job you've ever had to do?