Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dishwasher repair or replace...

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2012, 02:25 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Dishwasher repair or replace...

Ours has gone up the wall tripping the rcd board half way through a cycle. The Wife then tells me it's been making strange noises for a few days and has even churned out some broken bits of plastic in the last day or two

Has anyone gone down the repair route as i'm assuming it won't be much cheaper than buying a new one and you are then still left with a 5 year old appliance?

If I go new then taking the wooden panel off the front looks a bind as it's a fitted appliance and the bolts aren't visible internally and so looks like it has to be taken apart to separate it. Also how do you then drain off the water from where it's died half way through a cycle?

The house is 5 years old and it seems the appliances all want to start giving me grief as the grill element in the oven has just burnt through although that looks easy to replace. I would have expected longer than 5 years out of domestic appliances but then the building company has used all AEG or Electrolux items so hardly top quality.
Old 04 March 2012, 02:37 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pump in ours is making funny noises so rather than repair it were going to replace it. New ones are quieter, perform better, are more efficient and come with a 2 year guarantee as well if bought and pricematched from John Lewis.
Old 04 March 2012, 03:07 PM
Scooby Senior

Prob the pump has gone, will be cheaper than a new one and not too hard to do. The kitchen door on the front will have 2 or 4 screws that go to inside the main door.
Old 04 March 2012, 03:13 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies. I've had a look at the 'bits' it had chucked out and look like hardened rubber so guessing a rubber seal somewhere has degraded, split and dropped bits off it. So if a seal has gone then water has got to somewhere it shouldn't and caused the short circuit.

Found one to replace it with for £249 with 22 excellent reviews. It's Beko which i'd never have bought previously but had to replace the washing machine at Christmas and bought Beko and it's a cracking bit of kit for the price so tempted with their stuff again.
Old 05 March 2012, 09:48 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
Cheers for the replies. I've had a look at the 'bits' it had chucked out and look like hardened rubber so guessing a rubber seal somewhere has degraded, split and dropped bits off it. So if a seal has gone then water has got to somewhere it shouldn't and caused the short circuit.

Found one to replace it with for £249 with 22 excellent reviews. It's Beko which i'd never have bought previously but had to replace the washing machine at Christmas and bought Beko and it's a cracking bit of kit for the price so tempted with their stuff again.
BEKO - really!?! i looked at their products when looking to replace the fridge freezer and dishwasher and found a lot of dissatisfied customers with appliances that packed up after 13+ months and even once repaired gave more trouble.

also this http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews11682.html#Reviews

In the end bought Fridgidaire and Indest, no probs so far...

Last edited by The Zohan; 05 March 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05 March 2012, 10:19 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I used one of these fixed price guaranteed repair places, about £100 IIRC. Pain in the **** with lots of idiot engineers but did get it fixed in the end. In was an in-built Neff so quite expensive to replace. If it had been a cheapo I would probably have gone for a new one. dl
Old 05 March 2012, 10:19 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

When you mean fix, do you mean DIY or "get a man in" to do it? If its the former; you can't make it worse if its already broke, if its the latter I wouldn't bother and put the call out fees towards a new unit.

First job for a DIYer is to see where the water is, remove the kick board, door facia and lower panel underneath the door which may enable you to see the workings underneath without pulling the whole dishwasher out. A better way is if it still works, removing the whole dishwasher out the kitchen and putting it in the garage (or shed or anywhere sheltered with water and power) and run it from a hosepipe (can get hozelock adapters that will fit) and remove some of the side panels to get a better view inside, this will give a better idea to find where the leak is.

A leak on our dishwasher turned out to be a perished rubber grommet at the top. Water would spray out, run down the side then collect at the bottom and short out the electrics (as well as wrecking the kitchen unit next to it). PCBs were removed and dried out easily enough. Grommet was £4.50 plus delivery from 4ourhouse.co.uk.

BTW to drain, usually it will drain under gravity, so as long as the outlet hose is ran across the ground, it'll drain. So when moving it, always tie the outlet hose to the back to prevent it falling to the floor and spilling a load of water out (same applies to washing machines). Although if its full of water, best to try and drain some out before moving as it will overspill out the door if you tip the whole diswasher forwards.

Door facias usually fix to brackets, where the screws are acessed along the inner edges of the door - open the door and its usually the screws along the edges, ( tip: the ones that hold the facia may show witness marks of being tightened by the kitchen installer ).
Old 05 March 2012, 10:45 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above: sounds like a cheap fix.

Most people don't realise that when working on white goods, it's the same as working on cars, except without:
dirt,
rust,
dead stuff.

and WITH being able to tip it on ANY side to get at it

DO beware of razor sharp edges on metal panels though
Old 05 March 2012, 10:52 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

IMO, even if its a PCB or a timer gone then its not hard to find replacements online.

I tend to use eSpares for parts for white goods. Was my first job leaving school so quite happy to work on them myself.
Old 05 March 2012, 10:55 AM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Stating the obvious - depends entirely on whats failed. Our 10 year old Bosch recently packed up. It was the most illogical thing to disassemble I've ever done, although maybe I'm just not used to working on cars upside down. Finding the replacement part was over £120 sealed its fate.

Beko apparently get the best reliability ratings of any manufacturer. I seriously considered one of theirs as a replacement, but my missus insisted on another Bosch as I wasn't prepared to remortgage for a Miele...
Old 05 March 2012, 01:03 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately none of the water has drained away on its own. I've also noticed it's wedged right up under the kitchen unit so to get it out i'm hoping the feet it's on screw round to lower it down before removing.

DIY is a nightmare for me, even decorating is a major project I did work out how to change carbon brushes on a washing machine when it stopped working and change the elements in the oven but they are a doddle, this dishwasher looks a major pain in the ar$e to open up and find bits and troubleshoot, especially as it can't be switched on as it immediately trips the rcb.

Where do you look? Washing machine is obvious, open the top and there it all is. The dishwasher has the door, bits at the top and gubbins underneath?
Old 05 March 2012, 01:39 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's the drain pump gone then easy fix. If it's the circulation pump/motor then forget it. Total ballache to replace.
Old 05 March 2012, 01:46 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I've no idea what it is, it made some strange noises for a couple of days, threw out bits of knackered rubber and then half way through a cycle tripped the rcb and now can't be powered back on.
Old 06 March 2012, 01:40 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Sounds like circulation pump to me mate. Get me the model number and I'll find out the price.
Old 06 March 2012, 02:41 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers, it's an Electrolux ESL 6115. I'm hoping to have time later to empty the water out of it, drop the legs down and remove it from the units and then take a set of screwdrivers to it. Where do I want to be opening up first, the top or the back of it?
Old 06 March 2012, 02:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pump likely to be low down, so back/base.

MAY even be removable by turning it over.
Pump used to come off my old Ariston washer by turning kit over and using molegrips on the pipe clips. No panels to remove.

NB: take dishes out first.
Old 06 March 2012, 02:52 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Doesn't sound too good

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews119845.html
Old 06 March 2012, 03:07 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

easy fix...

just get the wife to wash the dishes manually.

Old 06 March 2012, 03:59 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

She is now but it won't last long before I get an ear bending to have it fixed/replaced.
Old 06 March 2012, 04:35 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I always think you should try and fix things yourself first, many times I have ended up sat on the kitchen floor surrounded by pieces and I always end up with leftover screws. I just think make sure you use a drill to for all the screwing and unscrewing and relax, allow plenty of time and it will eventually start to make sense. I do sometimes manage to fix what was broken and break something else in the process but its all part of the fun. Worst case scenario you have to buy a new one that you were going to buy anyway.
Old 06 March 2012, 07:20 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
I always think you should try and fix things yourself first, many times I have ended up sat on the kitchen floor surrounded by pieces and I always end up with leftover screws. I just think make sure you use a drill to for all the screwing and unscrewing and relax, allow plenty of time and it will eventually start to make sense. I do sometimes manage to fix what was broken and break something else in the process but its all part of the fun. Worst case scenario you have to buy a new one that you were going to buy anyway.
Yep I agree with you, that's how I found out that washing machines are easily fixed with replacing the carbon brushes when a repair bloke will rob you blind for a simple cheap job. When the oven went I went straight on Google and found how to repair it as I knew it was the element that has gone. There was a youtube video which shows the job start to finish which was very handy.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:20 AM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

Replaced a pressure flow valve last year and only last night fixed a leak setting the flood valve off! Worth having a look i'd say.
Old 07 March 2012, 09:38 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Echo try yourself first, quite often a simple fix with parts off the net or local supplier.

I managed to get an extra 2yrs out of the washing machine and 3yrs from the dish washer, recently replaced both for less than £500.

If you do buy a new one avoid fancy digital displays and soft touch buttons, dials and clunky switches is the way to go.
Old 07 March 2012, 10:03 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Get you a price on the part tomorrow mate. I'm not in work today.
Old 07 March 2012, 02:36 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Tbh for the price of a new one (cheapest bosch arent much more than the price of the Beko you mention) I would just replace it. I used to leave my dishwasher on at night or whilst out until I heard 3 stories from friends & family of dishwashers starting fires. Read a bit more on the net and its scary. If yours is tripping your box I'd be even more concerned.

I dont mean to be a scare monger but how does a DIY fix affect a claim on your house insurance for a fire started by your "repaired" appliance?
Old 07 March 2012, 03:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Depends on whats in the small print in relation to DIY repairs.
Old 07 March 2012, 03:32 PM
StrikE
Scooby Regular

If you said to the insurance company the dishwasher had a fault and you fixed it yourself and it burnt your house down well i am sorry that's just plain special at best!

Insurance companies are on a need to know basis.

Most modern appliances have a fault finding procedure relatively easy to follow.
Old 08 March 2012, 04:15 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Circulation Pump/Motor £87.89 + VAT
Old 08 March 2012, 05:28 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Cheers, still haven't had a chance to pull it from the units yet and doing the grill element tonight which involves removing the entire double oven from the units