Free HIV treatment on NHS for foreign nationals

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2012, 11:59 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Free HIV treatment on NHS for foreign nationals

In these times of budget cuts, and while cancer patients are denied life extending drugs , it sure makes you proud to feel British to know that we can afford to treat the worlds hiv patients for free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17187179
Old 28 February 2012, 12:08 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

There are an estimated 25,000 people with undiagnosed HIV in Britain, many of whom were born abroad.
If it is undiagnosed how did they arrive at 25k?
Old 28 February 2012, 12:14 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 28 February 2012, 12:38 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I don't get this. How does treating HIV reduce the chance of it being transmitted?

Another thing is why are we treating failed asylum seekers and not kicking them out?

We wouldn't be in this position if to immigrate here one needed a full health screen like many countries do.
Old 28 February 2012, 12:54 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I don't get this. How does treating HIV reduce the chance of it being transmitted?

Another thing is why are we treating failed asylum seekers and not kicking them out?

We wouldn't be in this position if to immigrate here one needed a full health screen like many countries do.
+2
Old 28 February 2012, 12:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

There are tons of people here as health care tourists. They bring their whole families over and they all have some chronic condition like diabetes, so they get free drugs for life as well as the rest of the welfare system. Meanwhile people like me have to wait a week to see a GP, makes me sick.

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2012, 01:02 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It's not just a sound-bite - the modern multi-drug therapies really do push the virus far enough into retreat that its infectiousness is significantly reduced.

Last edited by markjmd; 28 February 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:07 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Not only that, but while you're getting treatment, we'd (the UK tax payer) would like to give you a house, money, & education.

What's that? You have family living abroad that you'd like to bring over and then apply for an even bigger house while we give them money too?

No problem. Britain is here to help.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
It's not just a sound-bite - the modern multi-drug therapies really do push the virus far enough into retreat that its infectiousness is significantly reduced.
Ah I see.

I wonder if it does work though? It might make HIV carriers more complacent and not use condoms though or stop practicing celibacy?

I still think it would be better to stop the infected entering the country though.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:28 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Cheaper to send the dirty ******* back to the sh1thole countries they spawned from.

Or even better, adopt the Aussie way, don`t let the b@stards in in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by ScoobySteve69; 28 February 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:29 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Ah I see.

I wonder if it does work though? It might make HIV carriers more complacent and not use condoms though or stop practicing celibacy?

I still think it would be better to stop the infected entering the country though.
Doesn't the fact these people caught HIV in the first place suggest they weren't wearing condoms to begin with?

Anyhow, fully agree that it's no excuse for complacency, but among Western populations at least there's no evidence to suggest that's what it leads to.

Agreed also that it should at the very least be a legal requirement to declare yourself HIV positive when entering the country, if it isn't already. I'd stop short of banning people though.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:37 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
Cheaper to send the dirty ******* back to the sh1thole countries they spawned from.

Or even better, adopt the Aussie way, don`t let the b@stards in in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Couldn't agree more
Old 28 February 2012, 01:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
Doesn't the fact these people caught HIV in the first place suggest they weren't wearing condoms to begin with?

Anyhow, fully agree that it's no excuse for complacency, but among Western populations at least there's no evidence to suggest that's what it leads to.

Agreed also that it should at the very least be a legal requirement to declare yourself HIV positive when entering the country, if it isn't already. I'd stop short of banning people though.
I'd ban them. A HIV positive immigrant increases the chance of a citizen getting it too.

You might be right about the complacency though, but it is the foreigners here running about with no idea they have HIV that we should be worried about.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:42 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Hardly news IMO.

I know someone whose from Nigeria and his mother worked for the NHS back in the 70s/80s for a very short period of time and I think only ever spent about 6 months in the UK.

Because of that apparently she was entitled to having both hips replaced on the NHS a couple of years ago.

This makes headlines because its Aids and we believe the NHS will be paying for dirty foreign homos.
Old 28 February 2012, 01:53 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
dirty foreign homos.

It's wrong but I laughed.

/mods please ban him.
Old 28 February 2012, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Why has no-one mentioned the rise of TB?

It was almost done for in the UK, but with the rise of immigration again, has reared it's head once again.

And that CAN be transmitted on a bus, train etc without ANY contact....
Old 28 February 2012, 04:48 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by stilover
Not only that, but while you're getting treatment, we'd (the UK tax payer) would like to give you a house, money, & education.

What's that? You have family living abroad that you'd like to bring over and then apply for an even bigger house while we give them money too?

No problem. Britain is here to help.
You forgot to add: The British people are here to serve you all and work hard to pay taxes to give you these luxuries. Of course, they have to shell out but go without as we feel the money we take off them is put to much better use giving you, a better life !
Old 28 February 2012, 04:51 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Why has no-one mentioned the rise of TB?

It was almost done for in the UK, but with the rise of immigration again, has reared it's head once again.

And that CAN be transmitted on a bus, train etc without ANY contact....
It's farked. When I got an Australia visa I had to get a TB test.

Here we let anyone in no matter how disease riddled.

There are more disease controls for pets and livestock than people.
Old 28 February 2012, 04:56 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
In these times of budget cuts, and while cancer patients are denied life extending drugs , it sure makes you proud to feel British to know that we can afford to treat the worlds hiv patients for free

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17187179
my sympathy goes to those infected by tw*ts that belive sleeping with 7 virgins cures it??

not that im picking, but id like to do the reading on the life extending cancer drugs that are being denied in the u.k if youve got a link?

cheers
Old 28 February 2012, 04:59 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jef
my sympathy goes to those infected by tw*ts that belive sleeping with 7 virgins cures it??

not that im picking, but id like to do the reading on the life extending cancer drugs that are being denied in the u.k if youve got a link?

cheers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...sive-drug.html
Old 28 February 2012, 05:29 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
You forgot to add: The British people are here to serve you all and work hard to pay taxes to give you these luxuries. Of course, they have to shell out but go without as we feel the money we take off them is put to much better use giving you, a better life !
+1
This seems to be the way of this country and it's down to successive governments who are capable of some sabre rattling and sound-bites but ultimately give in to Europe and the ECHR at the drop of a hat...
Old 28 February 2012, 06:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think we have duty as a civilised country to take some asylum seekers and assist some sick people but its got daft, you cnt blame the immigrants but really, I dont pay my taxes to look after all the worlds sick, sorry but people die, we cant save them all, do a bit but it shouldnt be at the expense of those who have paid in for forty or fifty years, that is not what I signed up for to pay for pregant women from the Senegal, diabetic Indians and Nigerian Aids victims, the system cannot cope with all the indigenious people, all the ones that have setled here and the ones that just landed at heathrow in labour or fell off the bottom of the Eurostar.

It is pretty callous but it is survival of the fittest with a bit of charity though we seem to be doing it the other way around, we cant save everyone so we should look after those who pay for the whole thing.
Old 01 March 2012, 12:02 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did they mention that not treating our own aids sufferers would also do nothing to prevent its spread here?

Les