Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Daniel von Bargen in critical condition

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2012, 09:29 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Daniel von Bargen in critical condition

Former Seinfeld actor Daniel von Bargen was left fighting for life after shooting himself in the head in an apparent suicide attempt.
Von Bargen - who played Mr Kruger in the hit U.S. comedy - called 911 himself and told the operator he had shot himself in the head on Monday morning.
The 61-year-old American actor told the dispatcher: 'I've shot myself in the head but it didn't work... I need help.'
When asked where he shot himself, he replied: 'I shot... in my temple.'
When asked if the shooting was an accident, the actor replied: 'I was supposed to go to the hospital and I didn't want to. They were supposed to amputate at least a few toes.'
Authorities confirmed that they were dispatched to his apartment complex in Cincinnati, Ohio shortly afterwards.
In a recording of the 911 call, the emergency services can be heard arriving and shouting at Von Bargen to keep his hands visible and asking him if there are any other guns in the apartment.
Old 27 February 2012, 12:10 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He held conversation with 911 very well, considering he had created a hole in his head with a bullet. "I wanted to die, but it has gone wrong. I need help." Not funny but the whole thing seems to be quite a thing. His dialogue with 911 is also quite interesting where he is asked, "Are you laying on your pillow?" He says, "My head is." LOL he is amusing; even from his death bed.

I can imagine what must have gone through his head before taking a step like that. I knew of an elderly diabetic gentleman in a residential setting who had his both legs amputated, and he continued to deteriorate. Over the two years of his non-responsive state, I saw him react only on one occasion when he was watching Laurel & Hardy on the television. I was made up with his reaction so I also watched the episode with him. It was the one where a woman Hardy fancies is trapped in a burning house. Heroic Hardy climbs up the ladder to get her down, but silly Laurel fails to keep the ladder stable, and Hardy keeps falling like no one's business. Oh, how both laughed! That was the only time I saw him laugh. Rest of the times were just him on his bed, or on his wheelchair, flicking the channels on the TV with no smile on his face and no words uttered all day. He didn't engage with anything else. It was clear that he had lost interest in life.

Last edited by Turbohot; 27 February 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 27 February 2012, 12:17 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

surely if he wanted to kill himself he would of shot himself again ? considering he was able to phone 911 etc etc
Old 27 February 2012, 02:14 AM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
surely if he wanted to kill himself he would of shot himself again ? considering he was able to phone 911 etc etc
Maybe he thought "f**k that hurt, I'm not doing that again".
Old 27 February 2012, 10:36 AM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad that he should feel the need to do what he did.

But what did he use a spud gun ?

I would have imagined any gun with real bullets fired point blank into the temple would have been enough to end anyone's life.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:55 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably move the angle of the gun at the last minute through fear.

Long time ago, a friend of mine took his own life.
He and another apparently decided that they would do a double dunt.
What later followed was that they both went to some barn type area, one of them shot the other at point blank rang with a shotgun
He then blew his own brains out afterwards.
Old 27 February 2012, 11:03 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

.45 colt.

Thats a pretty big bullet (bigger than a 9mm) and considering a .22 in the right place can kill.

Sad that he's ended up in such a bad way to do that to himself

Last edited by ALi-B; 27 February 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 27 February 2012, 11:04 AM
deepy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Probably move the angle of the gun at the last minute through fear.
That's a good point. I saw a programme about WWII snipers a short time ago, the guy was saying the best shot was was from behind and at the base of the skull - instant death. It would follow that to kill yourself a shot under the chin and slightly upwards would most likely have the same effect - severing the spinal chord I guess. Maybe a shot to the temple just doesn't always hit a vital part of the brain.

Interestingly in the same programme some of today's battlefield snipers were saying that they use body shots which might not necessarily kill their target, but would most likely incapacitate him and tie up others who went to assist.
Old 27 February 2012, 01:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Darwin award?

dl
Old 27 February 2012, 02:11 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I shouldn't smirk