Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What are my rights? One for the legal wizards.... (Housing snags)

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2012, 06:02 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my rights? One for the legal wizards.... (Housing snags)

Gents and Gals

I was wondering if I could pick your brains with an issue I have at the moment.

Just to give you some background;

I purchased a house in 2009 brand new. Shortly after moving in I had noticed that there was no hot water in my shower. Upon speaking to the builders they identified it had two cold water feeds plumbed. Problem 1 fixed.

I had issues whereby the tap heads were screwing off or spinning and the water not stopping. Again builders fixed problem 2.

Mrs moves in and starts to use bath ( I never used through showering in ensuite). Anyhow noticed a leak coming through frontroom ceiling and this was traced back to an issue where the bath feeds werent even hand tight and using the bath had flooded the cavity between upstairs and down. Problem 3 fixed by builders (notice the plumbing trend)

Little time passed and came downstairs one morning to find that the hall was flooded. Cold water feed to toilet cistern wasnt tight. Builders sorted again problem 4.

All this so far in the first two years.....

Now we fast forward a little to a problem where the shower is now leaking somewhere and running through the wall, warped ensuite door frame so I cannot close and creating mould on the wall. Now outside the first 2 years they dont give a monkeys. (Problem 5 needed to be resolved)

I then a fortnight ago when we had the snow was chilling on the lounge floor when i realised the pins and needles i thought i had was a torrent of water coming from the light fixture. I isolated power and had to drain the area for approx 6 hours before nothing more came out. I called insurance company and luckily had home emergency so i was pleased someone would come out. Anyway sods law coldest day of the year and I had to sit in the house with no downstairs lighting, no heating and no water. Reported to the insurance company approx 12pm on the sat and the plumber was sent down on Sunday from Derby to Peterborough (WTF?? But thats another story). So this was located to the join from the tank to the outside tap giving out in the cold and I am now left with another chunk of ceiling missing which i need to sort. Problem 6 needed to be resolved.

So then this weekend just gone turning the hot water back on after it had shortly gone off i was stood in lounge and through aforementioned hole I had another leak which i traced back to a pressure relief valve not appearing to have a fully sealed wastepipe. Good job i didnt have the hole from problem 6 done yet as it was exact same space. So this is Problem 7 related to plumbing within 3 years.

What action have I taken to date.

I had submitted details to NHBC who had subsequently responded in writing stating that plumbing isnt covered from year 3 onwards.

Now this is fine however i have a kitchen and lounge that needs repainting due to water stains, a hole in my lounge to fix and ceiling to subsequently paint and a shower that all needs to come out totally.

NHBC do cover structural damage so I am thinking of going in on that angle as surely the damp wall in the shower and the ceiling fall into structural in some sense.

Alternatively what options do I have? I'm not in a position at the moment to try to take the builders for compensation however have not formally complained to them as yet.

Can anyone that has had a similar problem or have any legal knowledge help me please??

Much appreciated in advance.

Begrudged (bar****ts) home owner!!
Old 26 February 2012, 06:12 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Your buildings insurance should cover repairs after water damage. My cold water tank split a few years ago. Buildings insurance wouldn't cover a replacement tank, but did cover repairs to ceiling and walls and redecorating.
Old 26 February 2012, 08:13 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Sorry yes I am cool from an insurance point of view however I am curious as to if there is anything I can pursue the builders for.
Old 26 February 2012, 08:15 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

thought this was a subaru forum!!??
chris.
Old 26 February 2012, 10:01 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
thought this was a subaru forum!!??
chris.
It is .. thanks for reminding us ..

Old 26 February 2012, 10:12 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

my guess would be seek legal advice
Old 26 February 2012, 10:19 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
It is .. thanks for reminding us ..

am i missing something??
Old 26 February 2012, 10:36 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychris300
am i missing something??
You mean other than this is the 'Non Scooby Related' section??
Old 26 February 2012, 11:20 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Hanley
Old 26 February 2012, 11:45 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

I have never lived in a brand new house. I have lived in renovated properties in past, and never faced such ongoing problems. Can't help you much, but IMO you should complain to the cowboy builders. At the same time, make a contact with a solicitor for legal advice on the matter + further support if required; just in case the builders act awkward with you. Best of luck. Such a shame that the dream pad you buy for your rest keeps putting you at unrest.
Old 26 February 2012, 11:51 PM
acstua
Scooby Regular

this a persimmon house by chance? ive had so many niggles with mine and they fecked off as soon as i paid...

took me 14 months to get the extra cupboard i was promised
Old 27 February 2012, 08:09 AM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Hanley
wasnt yesterday ,now its been moved it is
chris
Old 27 February 2012, 09:24 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Talk to the builders. I had a leak in the shower after 4 years of being in a new house and they came and fixed it. It took a while to 'persuade' them and the fix involved destroying the (extremely expensive) tiles on the wall, rewelding the pipes (in fact welding them as they were just pushed together (muppets)) and then tidying everything up.
Old 27 February 2012, 10:31 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boxst
Talk to the builders. I had a leak in the shower after 4 years of being in a new house and they came and fixed it. It took a while to 'persuade' them and the fix involved destroying the (extremely expensive) tiles on the wall, rewelding the pipes (in fact welding them as they were just pushed together (muppets)) and then tidying everything up.
Welding - soldering you mean
Old 27 February 2012, 12:25 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
Welding - soldering you mean

Possibly. I'm a techie, so soldering to me is little fine things on a circuit board not pipes with a blowtorch!

Steve
Old 27 February 2012, 01:25 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Have any of your neighbours suffered similar issues? Assuming that you are on an estate where other properties were constructed / completed at around the same time.

Partition walls and ceilings are not structural. However the NHBC insurance does appear to cover those parts for years 3 to 10. But not sure whether that includes conequential damage rather than just original workmanship issues. Your issues may be deemed cosmetic.

Snagging forum. You are not alone

Last edited by speedking; 27 February 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 27 February 2012, 04:13 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by acstua
this a persimmon house by chance? ive had so many niggles with mine and they fecked off as soon as i paid...

took me 14 months to get the extra cupboard i was promised
A friend of a friend who's a tiler working in new-builds advised us never to go near a Persimmon house. Their build time is so short (18 weeks I think), they take massive short cuts and he wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. He won't warranty his tiling in their builds because of the state of the place when they get him in to tile.

And BTW, we're buying a new-build on Wednesday, from a developer who won't give an NHBC guarantee as he's had too much trouble with them not paying out on issues. He uses a different warranty provider.

Last edited by Mungo; 27 February 2012 at 04:16 PM.