Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Does anyone feel sorry for them?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2012, 07:03 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Does anyone feel sorry for them?

http://m.sky.com/skynews/article/worldnews/16176723

50p a litre and they are up in arms, oh the poor souls. How about they wake up and realise there is no endless supply of oil and it's not their god given right to have it for next to nothing. Typical yanks to blame the President for anything they aren't happy about.

Their Government should tax the **** out of petrol like we have to suffer here and then see how they like it

I remember £20 of diesel getting me 200 miles, now i'm lucky to see 100 miles from £20 of diesel. That's worse than when I had a modded scoob and paying for Optimax. And the yanks think they have it bad.

I don't know how anyone can afford to put petrol in a scoob now, mine used to do 17mpg which would equate to about 55 miles to £20 now

Last edited by An0n0m0us; 25 February 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 25 February 2012, 07:07 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember the pain they suffered when petrol went through the $2 per gallon mark - oh how I wept for them
Old 25 February 2012, 07:24 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least they have the **** to do something about it, in this country we just roll over and take it, I remember fuel used to only go up budget time, now it goes up weekly and nothing is said. it was 4 years ago that i had my scoob and i remember it hitting £1 a litre for optimax and saying to the wife it was getting too expensive, its now near £1.50, thats a 50% increase in 4 years, how the **** have we let this happen. The government have also made it illegal to protest like we did in 2000. We are all getting took to the cleaners and shafted here yet we just take it, no other country seems to , even France have the ***** to do something
Old 25 February 2012, 07:26 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a pity we in the UK are not more like the USA,i dare say we wouldn't be getting our asses raped on price.Well no i have got it slightly wrong,because if you take away what we pay in TAX etc in the UK,then the actual fuel is cheap.
Old 25 February 2012, 07:32 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by moneys
At least they have the **** to do something about it, in this country we just roll over and take it, I remember fuel used to only go up budget time, now it goes up weekly and nothing is said. it was 4 years ago that i had my scoob and i remember it hitting £1 a litre for optimax and saying to the wife it was getting too expensive, its now near £1.50, thats a 50% increase in 4 years, how the **** have we let this happen. The government have also made it illegal to protest like we did in 2000. We are all getting took to the cleaners and shafted here yet we just take it, no other country seems to , even France have the ***** to do something
ordinary Diesel is not far off the price what Optimax/vpower costs.
Old 25 February 2012, 08:05 AM
moneys
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
ordinary Diesel is not far off the price what Optimax/vpower costs.

i know, remember when diesel was about 5p to 8p a litre cheaper! i do, it seems price of diesel has gone up in line with its popularity, im tempted to get back in a scoob within the next year, my old one had been modded and re-mapped and actually returned nearer 30mpg which is damn good for a hot hatch, my a4 turbo is only returning low 30's and i have nowhere near as many smiles on my face as when i drove the scoob
Old 25 February 2012, 09:03 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all relative. They have cheap fuel compared to us but have to pay over the odds for other things. They are certainly being squeezed as bad, if not worse, than we are at the moment, so any rise in costs is going to hit them just like it would with us.

They do have what we would call gas guzzlers, but again, it's all relative. Why would they be driving about in cars with tiny diesel engines if fuel is cheap? We definitely wouldn't be. If the US govt. taxes the **** out of fuel it will make a bad situation a whole lot worse. It would absolutely kill their economy. That would be positive action by the state to actually put people into poverty. Not the best of ideas; nor would Obama survive for long afterwards.
Old 25 February 2012, 09:09 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

What do they get taxed on if not fuel? Govt has to recover £'s from somewhere.

TX.
Old 25 February 2012, 09:51 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

What do the US pay more for than we do? Everything over there is cheaper and as for house prices I could live in a friggin mansion over there for what I paid for my house here but from what I know earn the same salary. Unfortunately living over there is not an option for me as I can't stand the stupid yeehaw redneck idiots
Old 25 February 2012, 09:55 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
What do they get taxed on if not fuel? Govt has to recover £'s from somewhere.

TX.
The fact is that the majority of people are being squeezed, so in practical terms they either need to tax those at the top more or cut spending. Fuel prices are squeezing people and many businesses now; that's why people are up in arms about it. They've got serious problems out there, so I don't know what you expect them to do with regard to fuel tax or why.
Old 25 February 2012, 10:03 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Health insurance maybe?

They are obviously used to low prices and have cut their cloth accordingly over the years, so any increase has the same effects as if our fuel goes up, even though ours is alot more expensive.

Like someone said, it's all relative.
Old 25 February 2012, 10:51 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I remember the fuss when petrol went up one cent per US gallon!

As was said above, if we accept it, it just gets worse!

Les
Old 25 February 2012, 07:31 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

just because we accept petrol at £1.50 per litre why would we expect other people to be that daft?

good for them to complain if only we hadnt given in 2000 petrol would be a lot cheaper now
Old 26 February 2012, 08:02 AM
Jer
Scooby Regular

Remember the yanks have to travel so much further to get anywhere.
Old 26 February 2012, 08:46 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by An0n0m0us
What do the US pay more for than we do? Everything over there is cheaper and as for house prices I could live in a friggin mansion over there for what I paid for my house here but from what I know earn the same salary. Unfortunately living over there is not an option for me as I can't stand the stupid yeehaw redneck idiots
The average family health care insurance policy is around £400 a month.

They also have their own oil refinery's.
Old 26 February 2012, 09:51 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Head
The average family health care insurance policy is around £400 a month.
that's only if you have no underlying health problems and don't make claims against it
Old 26 February 2012, 09:56 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

but maybe if we had to pay for health insurance the country wouldnt be over run with freeloading immigrants and therefore improve the country no end.
Old 26 February 2012, 10:17 AM
t16mbo
Scooby Regular

I can see this country won't put up with it much longer. Can also see more riots happening. People neet to all stick together. I remember few yrs back we did a rolling fuel protest around m25. Not much had few hundred cars. Was gd but as soon as police started arriving people s*** themselves.
Old 26 February 2012, 10:21 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by t16mbo
I can see this country won't put up with it much longer. Can also see more riots happening. People neet to all stick together. I remember few yrs back we did a rolling fuel protest around m25. Not much had few hundred cars. Was gd but as soon as police started arriving people s*** themselves.
timbo whereabouts in northants do you live?
im sure i have seen your car in kettering.
Old 26 February 2012, 10:33 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
that's only if you have no underlying health problems and don't make claims against it
Precisely. I don't think that we have things too bad to be honest. Everyone moans about the state of the country, but I'd much rather live here than many other countries around the world. Yes, Britain has its problems, but so does everyone else.
Old 26 February 2012, 10:37 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

The govt. needs to cut spending before it can lower taxes. Either that or they could bother actually collecting outstanding tax from large companies; I'm sure the latest figure was 25 billion pounds. Why is that allowed to happen when the rest of us would be hunted down for a few hundred pounds outstanding?
Old 26 February 2012, 11:44 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
The govt. needs to cut spending before it can lower taxes. Either that or they could bother actually collecting outstanding tax from large companies; I'm sure the latest figure was 25 billion pounds. Why is that allowed to happen when the rest of us would be hunted down for a few hundred pounds outstanding?
Because it all about votes.
Nobody would vote for the party that said they are going to cut spending and increase taxes to balance the books.

Well, a person might, but people won't.

Offer some tax credits and lower income tax etc and that party will get the vote every time.
Unfortunately.
Old 26 February 2012, 12:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Too busy throwing our tax monies at other countries all over the world in order to impress world leaders and keep their feet under the conference tables!

Les