Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tax credits

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2012, 05:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Tax credits

I see the government is making sure hardly anyone will get these as I have just recieved a letter from the taxman saying if you make more than £18k a year joint income for working tax credits or £26k for a joint income for child tax credits the benefits will cease. I can't see too many people qualifying for these credits anymore. Its going to hit alot more families in the pocket as that extra bit cash is always a help.

Last edited by stevebt; 20 February 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 20 February 2012, 06:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definetly , helps us towards the nursery fee's
Old 20 February 2012, 06:34 PM
jimlad
Scooby Regular

britian we pay you not to work its a joke
Old 20 February 2012, 06:37 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this child ax credits or working tax? I ask because if this refers to the latter, that is better than it was as when I last checked, you could only earn up to £16k, joint income.
Old 20 February 2012, 07:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Lisa its for the child tax credit.
Old 20 February 2012, 07:14 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

It is good news, the country can not afford it.
Old 20 February 2012, 07:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not? We seem to be able to pull money out of a hat when the government WANTS to.....
Old 20 February 2012, 09:07 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Are child tax credits different to child allowance? I've just been trying to read up on it as our first child is due in July and I can't get my head round it, both me and my wife earn under £35k each so don't qualify for anything really but I was under the impression child allowance is paid as long as neither parent is in the higher tax band?
Old 20 February 2012, 10:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

The child tax credit is the child allowance and if your joint income is over £26k you won't get anything.
Old 20 February 2012, 10:07 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Why should the taxpayer give cash to folks who simply need to replicate their DNA ?

FFS hire a monkey from the zoo, they will do less criminal damage in its lifetime.

Old 20 February 2012, 10:13 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, Child tax credits are means tested and Child alowance is a universal benefit.....completely different.

My family get Child allowance which will be stopped 2013 for me as I earn above the threshold.

Shaun
Old 20 February 2012, 11:01 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlad
britian we pay you not to work its a joke
Agreed, but I'll continue raising my kids with good morals, values and ethics - you get out what you put in... try your hardest at everything and anything, and if you fail at least you've given it your best shot... etc. etc.

For the record our child tax credits are being stopped this year, and our child benefit will stop too - all because I've worked hard all my life to better myself and my career, and the wife now puts in extra hours at work (albeit it part time).

Tell me how that's fair...
Old 21 February 2012, 12:35 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Hang on, we can't afford to give to our own. Yet we can afford to give to all and sundry who decides they want to live here. Legal or not
Old 21 February 2012, 06:01 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I tend to agree with you what would scooby do
However I've been paying in since I was 16 and never claimed a thing im my life so if I can get some tiny ammount back in child allowance or whatever then I'm definitely going to do it, it won't even scratch the surface of what I've paid to fund everyone else who chooses not to work etc
Old 21 February 2012, 07:23 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Why should the taxpayer give cash to folks who simply need to replicate their DNA ?

FFS hire a monkey from the zoo, they will do less criminal damage in its lifetime.

I have two kids and agree, we shouldn't be paying people to have kids .. we should be reviewing income and reducing tax to allow them to afford to work and keep their children in care.

Or, we just out price work, they leave and go on full time benefits, lot more cost to the government.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:11 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Makes sense to me; why should a single bloke/woman in a 1 bed flat pay towards a couple's child(ren) even where both parents earn more than they do?!
Old 21 February 2012, 10:33 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Can't afford to have children or to pay anything toward their cost or both or something else?

TX.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:33 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Why should I as a healthy male who has worked since I was 16 and paid tax, national insurance etc pay for others who have never worked a day in their lives and sit at home smoking and drinking who then end up in hospital needing medical treatment for their life style choice?

I do tend to agree with what others have said about child allowance but the same argument exists throughout the whole system.
Maybe we should scrap the whole thing and everyone sorts themselves out, takes out the required insurance policies etc like America
Old 21 February 2012, 10:42 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Makes sense to me; why should a single bloke/woman in a 1 bed flat pay towards a couple's child(ren) even where both parents earn more than they do?!
I'm sure that single person doesn't mind paying their reduced council tax ........

If a married couple are earning double what the single person they're paying double the tax back into the system.

So if you're happy for them to take tax credits, what do you think they'll use the extra cash for. Paying for the work shy and immigrants.

I prefer a hard working family get rewarded than the ones who don't wanna work or shouldn't be here
Old 21 February 2012, 12:11 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

The single person could be co-habiting. Even so, I doubt the child tax credits comes from the council tax pot - but I have no idea of fact-checking that!

I'd much prefer tax to be reduced overall than to introduce credits, the whole system is too complicated. And anyway, a hard-working family does get rewarded; with salaries!

Tax credits should go to those who really need it. Just because people may pay into the tax system all their lives, it isn't like some savings account where they can dip into it when they need it - it is for those less fortunate, that's the point of benefits and I would think tax credits (although obviously the whole benefits system is massively abused at the moment).
Old 21 February 2012, 12:50 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Hang on! One minute you're saying abolish it next you saying you don't mind it.

If our credits was to be took as they help pay nursery fee's my wife would have to quit work . Therefore my wife would paying any tax into the system.

But some slag we know of got pregnant at 16 never had a job , gets a house, money to run it and still has enough to go out at the weekend.

So in your opinion who do you think is more deserving to receive the credits?
Old 21 February 2012, 05:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I'd much prefer tax to be reduced overall than to introduce credits, the whole system is too complicated. And anyway, a hard-working family does get rewarded; with salaries!

).
But tax hasn't been reduced itas been increased and they have lowered the high tax band by about £5k so more people will end up paying it.
I haven't been rewarded with good salaries as since this recession has started my wage has halfed and I,m working longer hours as well. I'm sure a lot of firms are now using the recession as an excuse to keep people on lower money and not give any pay rises.
Old 21 February 2012, 06:23 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The single person could be co-habiting. Even so, I doubt the child tax credits comes from the council tax pot - but I have no idea of fact-checking that!

Tax credits should go to those who really need it. Just because people may pay into the tax system all their lives, it isn't like some savings account where they can dip into it when they need it - it is for those less fortunate, that's the point of benefits and I would think tax credits (although obviously the whole benefits system is massively abused at the moment).
Less fortunate .. maybe 20 years ago .. its for people who don't want to work now ..
Old 21 February 2012, 08:00 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do

Harsh.
Old 21 February 2012, 08:08 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ant
If our credits was to be took as they help pay nursery fee's my wife would have to quit work . Therefore my wife would paying any tax into the system.

But some slag we know of got pregnant at 16 never had a job , gets a house, money to run it and still has enough to go out at the weekend.

So in your opinion who do you think is more deserving to receive the credits?
As I say, the whole benefits system is being abused right now. The purpose of these credits/benefits should be to keep people from being homeless and starving, that is it. If you stopped receiving child tax credits, your world would not end. Who knows, if we all paid less tax to pay less tax credit, maybe you would be able to afford the nursery and your wife would still be able to work.
Old 21 February 2012, 08:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

As I say, the whole benefits system is being abused right now.
Totally agree with you on this one. But, they should be investigating the abusers instead of penalising the genuine people who rely on these benefits.It
always seems, the powers that be take the easiest options regardless of who it hurts.
Old 21 February 2012, 09:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

As I say, the whole benefits system is being abused right now. The purpose of these credits/benefits should be to keep people from being homeless and starving, that is it. If you stopped receiving child tax credits, your world would not end. Who knows, if we all paid less tax to pay less tax credit, maybe you would be able to afford the nursery and your wife would still be able to work.
why?, half of them get themselves into that mess. be it not achieving at school and being on the dole from day one , drugs or alcohol. For the genuine people who lost their jobs from redundancy fair enough but at the moment it's those people that don't get help they get left out to dry.

You don't see my point about my wife having to quit work do you? They help towards you paying your nursery fee's so you can work therefore being able to pay tax back into the system, if my wife was to stay at home her tax credits would go up substantially and she wouldn't pay taxes.so it's in the governments best interest to make sure working families exist.