Employment Law - Redundancy and Payments

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2012, 01:34 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Employment Law - Redundancy and Payments

Hi all,

Anyone in the know regarding Employment law?

I was notified 3 months back that I was being made redundant, Ive been on garden leave these last 12 weeks and been paid at the end of every month as normal.

Last Tuesday the 24th of Jan was my official last day of employment, I received my P45 and a payslip with my salary deducted a weeks wages and my redundancy payment on the payslip too and my net figure, I suppose everything is in order expect on the 24th I hadnt been paid. Now we normally get paid last full week of the month so I decided to leave it and expect to get paid on Friday (27th).

Now this is where it gets tricky, I still havent been paid, I contacted my company/accountants (based in Canada, reason for redundancy is theyve closed the UK office so I dont have a proper contact over here other than the accountants who are looking after the financials) who informed me Ive not been paid because there is no money in the UK accounts and until we get paid by a customer I'll just have to wait unless Canada forward the money. Canada office have since emailed me and said I'll get paid when one of the customers pay up.

Now where do I stand? I dont have any savings to speak off and if Im not paid first thing in the morning Im going to miss my mortgage and loan payments. Not to mention all my other direct debits (TV, Broadband, Credit Card).

Im not sure if there is something in the way of Breach of Contract that I can do them for (would love to since my redundancy package is the bare minimum statutory payment, which funnily enough goes up on the 1st of Feb, I dont know if this will also have an effect of what is owed to me).

Since they have not paid me off am I still technically employed? I did pop down to the Citizens Advice Bureau this morning but it was shut so Im worried whats going to happen tomorrow when bills need paying.

Thanks for any advice I might get here

Dave
Old 31 January 2012, 01:46 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

www.acas.co.uk

I know nothing, but they know everything
Old 31 January 2012, 01:48 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt say acas know everything but did help the wife somewhat in being forced into leaving after maternity leave. certainly worth a call tho.
Old 31 January 2012, 01:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Looks an informative website that Ive not found before, thanks
Old 31 January 2012, 02:07 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Generally speaking dave, we use the ACAS website for all our business questions from an Employers point of view. They are somewhat more set up to help the employee so thats your best first port of call.

Other than that, it might be worth asking around if any of your friends work in HR, if they can offer any advice.
Old 01 February 2012, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That seems very unfair treatment from your previous company. At the very least they should ensure that you get what is due to you regardless of customer payment.

I hope you don't get left completely in the lurch anyway.

Les
Old 01 February 2012, 02:57 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

http://www.redundancyforum.co.uk/

I was recently made redundant and found this forum really good. You can get free advice from experts.
I always found ACAS a bit wishy-washy. When you want a black and white answer, they always give you grey.
Old 01 February 2012, 05:47 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the info guys, Im pleased to announce Ive received my pathetic payout so all is good.
Old 02 February 2012, 07:56 AM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Thanks for the info guys, Im pleased to announce Ive received my pathetic payout so all is good.
Yes, the bare minimum is pretty crap when you work it out. I got £6,800 for 14 years of my life. Nothing really.
Old 02 February 2012, 08:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yeh I got £5000 for 15.5 years. Because I started working for them aged 16 I was entitled to about £2k less than people on the same salary as me who had been there a couple of years less. Disgusting. I earnt more on my 12 weeks garden leave than I did in redundancy
Old 02 February 2012, 12:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear it.

Les
Old 02 February 2012, 12:39 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Sorry to hear this Dave, what have you got in the pipeline?
Old 02 February 2012, 01:02 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Cheers DCI, Sod all realistically. Ive been applying for jobs in finance, Accounts Assist etc but getting nothing back from any potentiol employers, everyone seems to go through agencies now which is a PITA. Applied for a particular job a week ago, got a call a few days later from the agency, I have to travel 30miles to Nottingham to have an official interview with them before Im even considered for a job that I wanted over a week ago. Where is the sense I really dont know.

Just seem to be jumping through hoops for people with no real feeling that there will be a return in it.

First time being unemployed, doesnt feel too great if Im honest.
Old 02 February 2012, 10:05 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Pain or not, get yourself registered with a few agencies..... and take a temp job if offered, it's often a foot in the door Try Reed and Hays for starters and don't sign anything that says you are exclusive to one agency, you won't get any more money for loyalty
Old 02 February 2012, 10:23 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Don't let it get to you, Dave. Remember one door closes, another one opens. All the very best with your job search.
Old 03 February 2012, 12:09 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Cheers everyone, I was quite happy to have this break and an opportunity of a fresh start - except theres no start
Old 03 February 2012, 12:11 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Yeh I got £5000 for 15.5 years. Because I started working for them aged 16 I was entitled to about £2k less than people on the same salary as me who had been there a couple of years less. Disgusting. I earnt more on my 12 weeks garden leave than I did in redundancy
That's shocking
Was in the same boat a few years ago. A Company I worked for went down and I got nowt. Being self employed. The cheeky gits started again and expected me to help them out
Old 03 February 2012, 12:22 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lee247
That's shocking
Was in the same boat a few years ago. A Company I worked for went down and I got nowt. Being self employed. The cheeky gits started again and expected me to help them out
Way of the world, just how theyve treated the "family" (their words) I wouldnt go near them again and it looks like a house of cards, fingers crossed for a big gust of wind,,,,
Old 03 February 2012, 07:22 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Dave, what's your profession (Poker legend doesn't count ) or what are you looking for?.....
Old 03 February 2012, 07:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

As Im training for my level 3 AAT (passed Level 2 already) so Im looking for something in an accounting department. Saying that though I make a cracking cup of tea if there are any offices in need of a tea boy

Ive spent most of my career being a telecom engineer but there isnt much in the way of work for that around here.

Once Ive picked up a car I think I will be playing alot more poker to earn some pennies until full time employment comes my way. No harm in giving it a go.
Old 03 February 2012, 07:57 AM
mikeywilliams
Scooby Regular

that is shocking i got just over 3k for 4 n half years then orders picked up 6 mnths later got me job back that was 3 years ago

good luck with job hunt
Old 03 February 2012, 08:17 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Redundancy payouts are disgraceful ... Look out for #1 is your best bet, don't rely on anyone else to do so

TX.