Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to Malta?

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2012, 09:45 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to Malta?

Looking for hotel recommendations, ideally in St Juliens or Sliema. Will be going in July. Welcome to hear any opinions and experiences of holidays also.
Old 23 January 2012, 09:59 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Being half Maltese on my mothers side, I've been going frequently since the early sixties.
If you tell me what you want out of your holiday, and what your accommodation budget is, I'm sure I can steer you in the right direction. I've stayed in many locations and accommodation types all over the island.
Old 24 January 2012, 01:05 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stayed in the Corinthian hotel in St Julian's - twas nice
Old 24 January 2012, 01:59 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I used to regularly do work in Malta (In Valletta), but its not been for a considerable time
Gozo was a pretty nice place at the time.

One thing I loved to eat there was Rabbit - if you get the chance then try some.
Old 24 January 2012, 03:08 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I went in 98, at Easter, snowing in UK, nice temperature in Malta, really liked it and stayed in St Juliens, the hotel wasnt great (cant remember name!) but doesnt usually bother me as long as i enjoy the place.

Hire a car, drive round, nice places to explore and a couple of beaches to be found - paradise bay and pretty bay, funny parking chap there, guiding me to a parking space when it was empty.

Valletta is a nice place to spend the day.

All kinds of places to eat as well, chinese, Italian etc etc
Old 24 January 2012, 05:33 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

We moved to Sliema for a couple of years when i was a kid and from the the views on Google earth etc it's changed a lot. It was a nice place, great fun as a kid though.
Nik

Originally Posted by wilbo
Looking for hotel recommendations, ideally in St Juliens or Sliema. Will be going in July. Welcome to hear any opinions and experiences of holidays also.

Last edited by nik52wrx; 24 January 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24 January 2012, 05:49 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the responses. It will just by myself and the gf going. Looking for a mix of chilling out and day trips, with nice restaurants for the evening, not really into staying out late and drinking. I did visit quite a few years back with a friend who is half maltese so we just stayed in one of his relatives apartment but couldnt quite remember which were the nice resorts. St Juliens certainly looks to have a nice selection of hotels at reasonable prices.
Old 24 January 2012, 05:50 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
Being half Maltese on my mothers side, I've been going frequently since the early sixties.
If you tell me what you want out of your holiday, and what your accommodation budget is, I'm sure I can steer you in the right direction. I've stayed in many locations and accommodation types all over the island.
Ideally looking at spending £450-550 on the whole holiday. Flight is £200pp so leaves about £300ish for accomodation. Have been using travelrepublic and teletext holidays as a guide but loads of choice.
Old 24 January 2012, 08:09 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

I would have thought getting a package via teletext the cheaper bet
St Juliens when I went was where all the young uns went at night, clubs etc
didnt see any trouble but that was 14 years ago

there is a walled village called medina (I think) thats worth a visit

its only a small island, drive round it

wonder if they still have the old buses

heres an odd one - there was a public toilet i went to with a hotel nearby called southend hotel (think near pretty bay), anyway, the public toilets there was the most immaculate toilet I had been in
Old 24 January 2012, 08:26 PM
darms
Scooby Regular

We stayed at the Radisson Blu (St Juliens) - really nice hotel and well located.
Old 24 January 2012, 08:52 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

they did have the old busses until about 2 yrs ago and now they are all the modern type which is a shame. mdina is a nice place and i think thats where they filmed game of thrones if you used to watch it on sky.
the other halfs mum lives in st julians now so we only have to pay for our flights which is lucky and this year we might even get married out there!
Old 24 January 2012, 11:40 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those old buses had character and were a tourist attraction. Some were as much as 70 years old. They were replaced 3rd of July last year, and Arriva took over the bus contract for 10 years. It used to cost 47cents or 54cents per journey on the old system. Now Transport Malta have introduced a two tier price structure whereby residents get a very substantial discount. So the rest of us have to pay tourist prices of €2.60. At least the ticket lasts all day for any bus. It wouldn't have been too bad if they had kept the old route system. Commuters were complaining, so over the course of the past few months they have gradually been introducing the old routes again. In my opinion, it should never have been changed in the first place. "If it aint broke, don't fix it"
Old 25 January 2012, 01:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We used to go there regularly on duty. I always enjoyed being there, very nice people, but can't advise on accommodation since we were in military quarters.

Can't beat those buses! Sorry if they are all gone now.

Les