Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

who's telling the truth?

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2003, 10:43 AM
a short
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm currently taking legal action against an importer who sold me a sti8, the importer put in writing the car carried a 3 year pan european warranty. He also stated to me it was being sourced from belgium, i was happy with this as i was saving a couple of grand on uk car, and would have a warranty i felt safe with.Spent 1st couple weeks running car in, then booked him in for 1st servce and to my horror was informed car was actually sourced from malta and that IM would not register it for warranty.This was 5 months ago and the car has not left my garage since, and looks like court won't be for at least 5 more months, it took me 4 years of saving for this car just imagine how i feel. The importer has washed his hands with it saying maltese cars do carry pan european warranties,and that it's just subaru uk being difficult. What concerns me the most is i have received a letter from malta dealership stating cars from malta do carry pan european warranties because malta is included in the cross boarder agreement in europe. I have now been sent letter from subaru uk saying this is toatally wrong information, and that my warranty is only any good through the garage in malta . I'm expected if car goes wrong to get authorisation from malta before any work can be done, what happens if they go bust ? who do i turn to then. So who's telling the truth subaru uk or dealer in malta, either way i'm going to fight this all the way and get my cash back. Has anybody out there had this experience i'd like to know how you got on, this is a well known importer who sold me this car and once i've won i'll let everybody know their name. Bit of advice anybody importing through dealer get everything in writing about country of origin and what warranty it carries. Sorry it's a bit long winded but you can imagine what it's like having a £24000 car stuck in garage, paying £2000 insurance ,and no other transport
Old 26 July 2003, 11:02 AM
Inforcer
Scooby Regular

I havn't had this experience but it's pretty disturbing what you are going through.Fight it all the way and I really hope you get the money back.One has to be so careful buying Imports.All the best,mate.
Old 26 July 2003, 03:46 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

what's wrong with the car that you can't take it out of the garage? If the engine has blown or something surely a few hundred quid shipping it to malta would sort the problem. At least that way you'd have a car you can use.
Old 26 July 2003, 05:46 PM
a short
Scooby Newbie

nothing wrong with the car, apart from it's not what i paid my money for. also once you've rejected the car you are not meant to use it, i've been treated bad and will not stop till money i paid is back in my account.