Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Speed Camera Vans

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2012, 04:15 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Camera Vans

I was stuck on a course last week, all week in Tamworth, couldnt wait to get home so blatted up the a41 pretty quickly, came round a corner, sun in my eyes below the sun visor, put up my hand to shield the sun a little, ans spotted the bugger on the left looking straight at me.
Think was about 20 over, ie 70 in a 50, anyone have any idea how long they take to send a nip through?
Is there a legal time limit on them sending out points?

cheers
steve
Old 18 January 2012, 04:23 PM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

No legal time limit I dont think but you should receive a letter within 3 weeks if not your away with it...
Old 18 January 2012, 04:23 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

You should get the nip in the post within14 days. Good luck!
Old 18 January 2012, 04:24 PM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

These will be your best bet mate:

http://www.pepipoo.com/FAQ.htm
Old 18 January 2012, 04:29 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas, fully expecting to get minimum of points, just wondered if they had a legal time to give me them.

steve
Old 18 January 2012, 05:49 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Two weeks for the NIP to be sent to the registered keeper's address.

Did the sun make the speed limit signs impossible to see / read
Old 18 January 2012, 06:15 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Two weeks for the NIP to be sent to the registered keeper's address.

Terminology slightly off but is important

The Nip must be Served within 14 days.

If the the police use registered post/ special delivery then there is a presumption that the S172/nip has been served once posted. However most police use first class post, so if the person has reasonable grounds to suggest that the nip didn't arrive or was posted late, then the prosecution has to prove it was served correctly.
Old 18 January 2012, 06:17 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Did the sun make the speed limit signs impossible to see / read
Bet it has now
Old 18 January 2012, 07:48 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

was the vans gun calibrated that day?
Old 18 January 2012, 09:02 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

don't worry they will pop round your house and take you away instead of posting the NIP out ;-)
Old 18 January 2012, 09:58 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind that the "14 day rule" only applies to the Registered Keeper so if you drive a company car the RK is probably a leasing company. There is no time limit on any subesquent NIPs. (Leasing company name your employer, new NIP is issued to the employer, they name you, new NIP is issued to you. It could be a couple of months before you hear anything in these circumstances).

Also, if the car is yours but you have only recently bought it or you have moved house recently they only have to send the first NIP to the keeper's address registered at the DVLA.
Old 18 January 2012, 11:17 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

I'd wait for the letter before worrying about it. I went past one about 6 months ago & expected more than a few points, but have heard nothing. A mate told me sometimes they only prosecute a percentage of the worst offenders as they can't cope with all the admin. You may be lucky.
Old 19 January 2012, 06:57 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

He might have been having a cup of tea and a sandwich. Its only the most hardened that sit there gunning all day
Old 19 January 2012, 07:57 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

2 weeks of worry aint nice mate! - http://www.pepipoo.com/NIP.htm
but as above and on the site i posted as long as you are the registered keeper and its to your current address after 2 weeks your safe
And even if you do get one, before sending anything back follow the NIP Wizard:
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=nipwizard
Old 19 January 2012, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

14 days for the NIP allowing reasonable time for the postal delivery.

Les
Old 19 January 2012, 01:54 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by Leslie
14 days for the NIP allowing reasonable time for the postal delivery.

Les
Please quote it correctly. The S172/nip must be served within 14 days. it becomes invalid it it arrives on the 15th or 16th day or later. There is no lee-way for delayed post.

Obviously the RK has to demonstrate that the nip arrived late in court.
Old 19 January 2012, 02:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I read that there was a postal allowonce but maybe that was confused with the following statement:-

What is the 14 day rule?
The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived. In many cases, the registered keeper will be a lease company not the actual driver with the result that even if the driver is unaware of the incident, service of the Notice is good if it was sent to arrive at the registered keeper's last known address within 14 days of the offence.

Don't know about you but that statement seems to be somewhat unclear in certain respects.

Les
Old 19 January 2012, 04:05 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fleetster
2 weeks of worry aint nice mate! - http://www.pepipoo.com/NIP.htm
but as above and on the site i posted as long as you are the registered keeper and its to your current address after 2 weeks your safe
And even if you do get one, before sending anything back follow the NIP Wizard:
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?autocom=nipwizard
Cheers fellas, had a look at the above, and taken everyone else's comments on board.
Can but wait and see if anything arrives.
I was in the scoob and not a company car, so guessing the worst will follow.
And yeah it was very difficult to see the signs in the sun, infact it was bloody hard to see the camera van at all until i was on top of it, should really run into the back of him as he was parked in a dangerous location.
Will wait and see what happens, got three points already though, so any more are really gonna screw up the insurance
Old 19 January 2012, 04:14 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine got a NIP, wrote back asking for a photo because he didnt know who was driving, heard nothing and nothing happened.

That was genuine, is it fraud to go down that route if you know you were the driver?
Old 19 January 2012, 06:32 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
A friend of mine got a NIP, wrote back asking for a photo because he didnt know who was driving, heard nothing and nothing happened.

That was genuine, is it fraud to go down that route if you know you were the driver?
Perverting the course of justice, IF the police can prove it.
Old 19 January 2012, 06:39 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

I read that there was a postal allowonce but maybe that was confused with the following statement:-

What is the 14 day rule?
The 14 day rule relates only to the period of time in which the Police/Process Unit must serve the original Notice. The Police do not have to prove that the Notice reached its intended recipient within 14 days, merely that in the normal course of events, it should have arrived. In many cases, the registered keeper will be a lease company not the actual driver with the result that even if the driver is unaware of the incident, service of the Notice is good if it was sent to arrive at the registered keeper's last known address within 14 days of the offence.

Don't know about you but that statement seems to be somewhat unclear in certain respects.

Les
If you read the road traffic act. The police don't have to prove anything but by using the first class post. If the recipient doesn't receive the s172/nip and proves to be a credible witness testifying that they didn't receive it then without any other evidence the case should be dismissed. But if the recipient is found to be lying, then they are in a whole heap of trouble!
Old 20 January 2012, 03:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If you read the road traffic act. The police don't have to prove anything but by using the first class post. If the recipient doesn't receive the s172/nip and proves to be a credible witness testifying that they didn't receive it then without any other evidence the case should be dismissed. But if the recipient is found to be lying, then they are in a whole heap of trouble!
Well I don't have a copy of the RTA to hand so I can't.

Will they really accept a driver's word that he did not receive the NIP in time through the post? How do they know he is a credible witness anyway? How does he prove he is credible without any evidence being required?

Seems that all you have to do is to swear blind that it did not arrive in time, just too easy according to what you are saying above. Everyone will be doing it!

Les
Old 20 January 2012, 03:27 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternatively, you could forget about trying to cheat the system and just accept that you've been rightly caught?
Old 20 January 2012, 04:04 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Alternatively, you could forget about trying to cheat the system and just accept that you've been rightly caught?
I have not said anything about trying to cheat the system, simply asked if there was a time limit for receiving the NIP?
If i get the points i get the points
Old 20 January 2012, 04:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Cheat the system?

Well, why ever not?
After all, Lying Labour brought in a system that effectively undermines one of the cornerstones of UK law: the right to silence, and the right NOT to incriminate yourself
Old 20 January 2012, 04:56 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve ex vauxhall
I have not said anything about trying to cheat the system, simply asked if there was a time limit for receiving the NIP?
If i get the points i get the points
Perhaps cheat was an incorrect choice of words, but you are asking what the legal time limit is, which could be construed that you are trying to get out of it if you can.
Old 20 January 2012, 04:59 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Well I don't have a copy of the RTA to hand so I can't.

Will they really accept a driver's word that he did not receive the NIP in time through the post? How do they know he is a credible witness anyway? How does he prove he is credible without any evidence being required?

Seems that all you have to do is to swear blind that it did not arrive in time, just too easy according to what you are saying above. Everyone will be doing it!

Les
If for example the date on the nip was very near to the 14 day limit and it was xmas period. There was a news report about lost or delayed post due to excessive postal demands, then you have an argument to say(this must be the truth) that the nip arrived late and therefore has timed out.

You will give testimony, provide your evidence. Unless the prosecution can prove otherwise then the magistrate should dismiss the case.

There has been cases documented on pepipoo where the driver hasn't received the nip at all and has been able to have the case dismissed.

I'm not saying it is easy to stand your ground and give testimony under pressure of the court and prosecution arguing that you are lying.

But if it is the truth then you should take it to court and present your case.
Old 20 January 2012, 05:02 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by douglasb
Bear in mind that the "14 day rule" only applies to the Registered Keeper so if you drive a company car the RK is probably a leasing company. There is no time limit on any subesquent NIPs. (Leasing company name your employer, new NIP is issued to the employer, they name you, new NIP is issued to you. It could be a couple of months before you hear anything in these circumstances).

Also, if the car is yours but you have only recently bought it or you have moved house recently they only have to send the first NIP to the keeper's address registered at the DVLA.
This is correct, but if the first nip is late then the offence has timed out and all subsequent nips are invalid as well
Old 21 January 2012, 02:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
If for example the date on the nip was very near to the 14 day limit and it was xmas period. There was a news report about lost or delayed post due to excessive postal demands, then you have an argument to say(this must be the truth) that the nip arrived late and therefore has timed out.

You will give testimony, provide your evidence. Unless the prosecution can prove otherwise then the magistrate should dismiss the case.

There has been cases documented on pepipoo where the driver hasn't received the nip at all and has been able to have the case dismissed.

I'm not saying it is easy to stand your ground and give testimony under pressure of the court and prosecution arguing that you are lying.

But if it is the truth then you should take it to court and present your case.
Yes thanks for the explanation. So it devolves on the police to show that you received the NIP in time and if you say it did not then they have to prove that you did really.

I think it would be safer then if they went back to the old system of delivering it by hand so that there is no doubt that it arrived in time. Trouble is of course, they would have to fine a copper with the time to do that.

Les
Old 21 January 2012, 03:01 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Perhaps cheat was an incorrect choice of words, but you are asking what the legal time limit is, which could be construed that you are trying to get out of it if you can.
Maybe i didnt explain myself fully.
Not trying to get out of anything, not the first time i have collected points and wont be the last.
I just wanted to know really for 2 reasons, 1st being if there is a time limit then i could relax and forget about it.
2nd, if they are on their way, then the car will be up for sale as the insurance is going to go through the limit that i have set myself, and i currently have a buyer who is more than interested in buying the car.
I dont want to sell as i love the damn thing, but 3 more points will make the decision for me.
Have told the potential buyer of the situation, and he is happy to wait until the end of the third week following when i passed the van, so just a waiting game.

Quick Reply: Speed Camera Vans