Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Teaching Unions showing what they are truly about

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2012, 12:39 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Teaching Unions showing what they are truly about

So it'll be easier to get rid of crap teachers...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16535191

Surely anyone with a grain of common sense can see this is good news for everyone, for the children they won't have to put up with terrible teaching and damage their futures, the parents can have more faith in the schooling system, and the good teachers can finally see the back of their colleagues who are not up to scratch.

The only ones who should be upset by this are the crap teachers. But the unions are upset too, the implication being; to hell with the future of kids' education, we'd rather put childrens' futures at risk than see one of our members sacked even though they aren't good enough to do their job. This union should be ashamed as should its members, but at least it shows us all what their motivation really is, money.
Old 13 January 2012, 12:42 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

brings it into line with the private sector, if your crap at your job you'll be gone afte ra month.

so the union can spin on there own slogan lol
Old 13 January 2012, 12:48 PM
Evolution Stu
Administrator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with these new policies, saw a guy on TV this morning standing his ground against the ******* presenters too. Good start IMO.
Old 13 January 2012, 01:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Let's hope we get some legislation which means we can get rid of underperforming MPs in-between elections.
Old 13 January 2012, 01:14 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

It's what the NUT have always been about
Old 13 January 2012, 01:26 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

i agree to an extent

just hope the assessments for checking performance are clear, and not subject to personal emotion.
dont want to make it easy for anyone in charge to dismiss, people that they have a grievence with or just plain dont like.

and here here (lol) for the MP comment.
Old 13 January 2012, 01:52 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, I've seen bullying heads who would LOVE this, and the self same-head went out of his way to "protect" another teacher who was poor.....and didn't even LIKE kids

This looks like a charter to destroy the career of someone in ten weeks at the whim of a head...who may, or may not be any good themselves.

What of a teacher going through a bad period for some reason?
Old 13 January 2012, 02:24 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just hope it goes for all the deadwood in the public sector.
Old 13 January 2012, 02:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Let's hope we get some legislation which means we can get rid of underperforming MPs in-between elections.
Can you think of any who actually perform anyway?

Les
Old 13 January 2012, 02:43 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
I was just about to write the very same
Old 13 January 2012, 02:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Heads have their favourites and those who make life a bit challenging for them.

Teachers who are not doing service to children should be sacked ...... but not ones who happen to challenge the Head.

So, it needs acreful monitoring - and NOT by the Governors who (in the most part) always agree with the Head as they have nothing else to go on.

But, I think only 3 teachers in 50 years have been sacked for being poor .... we all know that figure should be a hec of a lot higher than that!!!
Old 13 January 2012, 03:39 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Then they shouldn't be at work.
Old 13 January 2012, 03:46 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Unfortunately, I've seen bullying heads who would LOVE this, and the self same-head went out of his way to "protect" another teacher who was poor.....and didn't even LIKE kids

This looks like a charter to destroy the career of someone in ten weeks at the whim of a head...who may, or may not be any good themselves.

How is this different to somebody in a workplace (office/warehouse/shop etc) who's boss doesn't like them, but does like the person doing a naff job? I've seen this many times over the years. This legislation just brings teachers in line with every other employed person in the country. Don't see why they need special treatment...
Old 13 January 2012, 03:50 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

It is a good move in a sense but completely agree with Alcazar. This can be open for alot of abuse and work based politics. Even though it shouldn't obviously. Other half is a teacher and the stories are that some of the teachers are as bad as the children with their bickering and bicker to someone who is 'liked' higher up then open for abuse or work place bullying (yes it happens in lots of jobs I know).

Also the 'bad' teachers cannot just be judged on performance with exam results etc, although no one wants to believe it, as that is down to the children/school/home life and surroundings. Not nice but some school get the dregs and try best but always onto a poor result. Same with NQT as how will these be judged? As will class share and team teach so who to say which one is causing the problem and everyone in a new jobs has to learn.

Tough one but agree alot of deadwood around in schools, be it people who never knew what they wanted to do, or believe the grass is greener and career change for the apparent good life and long holidays down to the teachers in last 5 years of teaching till retirement and suddenly lose all motivation for the job.

One thing for sure I couldn't be one . .
Old 13 January 2012, 04:12 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Not a single one.
Old 13 January 2012, 04:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
This legislation just brings teachers in line with every other employed person in the country.
Other than the umpteen weeks extra leave and short hours of course
Old 13 January 2012, 04:19 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Personally I think the damage done to students by poor teaching is far greater than the damage done to the occasional teacher sacked for not getting on with the head.

Back in my school days (~10yrs ago) there was a crap teacher, who knew little about his subject matter. Several pupils complained (not trouble-making students, but ones who could recognise they weren't getting the tutoring they needed) and it took a few years before he was eventually asked to leave (not sacked).
Old 13 January 2012, 04:21 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

My daughter had almost her whole second year written off due to a lazy arsed teacher, coming up to retirement, who just couldn't be bothered.

Even the Head told us as much.

Fortunately my daughter is very bright (like her dad ) so it really hasn't affected her.
This is in primary school, and at that age I don't feel it a massive problem as there's time to sort it, but any higher up the education chain then it's only right these teachers are booted out as soon as.
Old 13 January 2012, 04:23 PM
scotty_b
Scooby Regular

I think this shows how peoples attitude have changed. Silly cartoon but the truth as 'my child' is an angel mentality is heaping even more pressure on teachers both good and bad. Unfortunately as with anything always look at the bad bit first and blame the teacher. If your child wants to learn they will. Bet we were all the same at school im sure. Lessons we liked we did well and lessons we never then sod them?

Anyway I find the cartoon quite amusing!

Oh and I agree to bring them more in line etc with stricter procedures but need to be careful as one bad school @blaming@ all the teachers will soon be closing down! Still half the dumb ar$es that taught me would have been struck off for sure!!

Last edited by scotty_b; 13 January 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 13 January 2012, 05:13 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Working in the sector, I *do* agree with this, as it's a good idea.

My only reservation is that the urge for some caution. Reason? Educators are graded in organisations using markers that closely link to those used by OFSTED. ie Grade 1= fantastic, Grade 4=well, not so good (FWIW, I'm a Grade 1 )
These observations are primarily based on classroom obs, which is very good.

However, I have 2 concerns -
1. Will there be a similar system in place for getting shot of ineffective management (in schools and FE for example)
2. As per Industry now, if an employee is under-performing, they have the right to be supported to get their "game" back to normal (especially if they were good prior to this under-performance).... this will invariably take longer than a month.
I only hope that this aspect of leniency is taken into account.
2. In order to overcome the concerns about "bully-boy" tactics, each organisation will have to consider the appeals aspect (which in itself could cost a fortune)..... food for thought.

Needless to say, those who consistently under-perform will have larger (and more immediate) concerns! And in all fairness, those that shouldn't even be in the profession will soon be found out and as such encouraged to pursue alternative career-paths...........

I agree totally in principle, but it needs to be executed properly and fairly...... and this is where I have my concerns.......
Old 13 January 2012, 05:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
How is this different to somebody in a workplace (office/warehouse/shop etc) who's boss doesn't like them, but does like the person doing a naff job? I've seen this many times over the years. This legislation just brings teachers in line with every other employed person in the country. Don't see why they need special treatment...
Now I've seen it all: the system is mostly crap, so let's find the bits that AREN'T and drag them down to the same level.

Did the nassssty teachers at school frighten you then? Awwwwww.
Old 13 January 2012, 05:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Heads have their favourites and those who make life a bit challenging for them.

Teachers who are not doing service to children should be sacked ...... but not ones who happen to challenge the Head.

So, it needs acreful monitoring - and NOT by the Governors who (in the most part) always agree with the Head as they have nothing else to go on.

But, I think only 3 teachers in 50 years have been sacked for being poor .... we all know that figure should be a hec of a lot higher than that!!!
Wrong. I know of THREE in this area, and that's JUST the ones I KNOW.

But hey, why let the truth get in the way of yet another anti-teacher post?
What happened to you? Voted off as Chairman?
Old 13 January 2012, 05:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

As for who says teachers are, or aren't performing, OFSTED.

A Government-run quango who move the goal posts to suit the government.
For example, they had the following grades:

Outstanding,
Good,
Acceptable,
Unacceptable,
Poor.

In which the word "acceptable" meant just that.

THEN they/government came up with the idea that "Acceptable" really wasn't good enough, so now only the top two categories are deemed OK.

Guess what?
Yes, overnight, around 15% of teachers joined the "not good enough" group.

Political manoeuvring? You bet. It happened just before government needed to announce no pay rises for two years......WHAT a coincidence.

And this is the same mob that think that just because someone has a 2.1 or firts class degree they will be better teachers than those who have lower...

Some of the BEST TEACHERS I've ever met have NO degree at all.
Old 13 January 2012, 05:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Didn't say I agree with the system (I'm actually with you on this one), but if you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Personally, I accept the rules. For now

This same statement applies to all those teacher/lecturer-bashers - if you can do a better job, three words:

BE
MY

come and have a go and see how easy it is
Old 14 January 2012, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Like any job, if you can't do it to a satisfactory standard then you don't deserve to hold it down.

This is especially important when it comes to childrens' education of course.

Les
Old 14 January 2012, 12:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Agreed, but ANYONE can have a bad patch for any number of reasons.

In which case, do you:

a) allow them to carry on, with support, so that the childrern's education is disturbed as little as possible?

b) get rid, bring in a bunch of supply teachers who don't know the class, don't REALLY know their stuff, don't know the school, etc?
Old 14 January 2012, 12:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Just hope it goes for all the deadwood in the public sector.
Let's hope so.
Old 14 January 2012, 12:40 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Sickness amongst Teachers is at epidemic proportions .... amazing how they don't seem to be off sick when on one of their MANY holidays!!
Old 14 January 2012, 03:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Sickness amongst Teachers is at epidemic proportions .... amazing how they don't seem to be off sick when on one of their MANY holidays!!
Get off it Pete, they are "absent" during holidays too.

How many of YOUR colleagues make sure that hospital procedures are done during THEIR holidays?
Old 14 January 2012, 03:35 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Pete, your lame attempts at the wind-up would hold more credence if the people reading didn't know what dreadful muppet you are

Dna

Quick Reply: Teaching Unions showing what they are truly about