David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High Speed Rail Link?

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN OLD THREAD
===========

Do you support the go ahead as a worthwhile investment for our future

OR

Do you feel that we should put it on hold in view of current economic climate?

AND

Will trains ever actually run at 200 mph?

David

Last edited by David Lock; 15 November 2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:25 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

I think they should run it underground. I think it's worth while to invest and the future could be worse off so why wait.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:31 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Theoretically a train track in a vacuum tube, running on MAGLEV technology could easily run at 1000mph.

But cannot see the penny pinching beurocrats doing something like that.
We spent billions and billions making a decent rail system, which tranformed our nation, yet Beeching decided to break it up. If it had been left as it was then the Governments plans of public Transport would be sooooooo much easier, little trains feeding the high speed ones.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:52 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Are there really that many people travelling between London and Birmingham? and do they really need to get there just 40 mins? earlier. Seems to me to be a massive investment, for which the vast majority of people will receive no benefit.

I'd love to see a list of what other capital projects we could get done for the money.
Old 09 January 2012, 07:56 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Come to think of it, you could get a hell of a lot of super-fast broadband roll out for that kind of investment.....

Far greater need for that IMO
Old 09 January 2012, 08:06 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Are there really that many people travelling between London and Birmingham? and do they really need to get there just 40 mins? earlier. Seems to me to be a massive investment, for which the vast majority of people will receive no benefit.

I'd love to see a list of what other capital projects we could get done for the money.
This is the reason why.

Do we as the UK look like a good destination for business in Europe, as the European model is for Ultra High Speed Trains, instead of planes.

By doing this the UK will re-coup more money than without.

Just think the Labour Gov stopped a programme called Blue Streak as their rationale was "Who is going to want to put satellites into space??" and the European Space Agency was that Pheonix from Labours flames with the French pocketing the money and the advanced technology.
Old 09 January 2012, 08:16 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

I,m all for it. It would be great for Birmingham, I think It would create a lot of jobs and hopefully not give Siemens the train contract..
Old 09 January 2012, 08:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

W do need a high speed rail link, but not just to Birmingham

Trains will never run at over 150mph in this country For the same reason that has hamstrung every project to increase speeds on the rail network since nationalisation

Construction costs will overrun massively, and the signalling budget will be cut to recoup costs, resulting in an inability to maintain safe operating distances at high speed
Old 09 January 2012, 08:31 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If its handled properly and the contracts go to UK based companies then I think its a good idea.

I think beaching went too far but alot of the rail system at that time was becoming redundant as a result of the rise in car ownership.

If you think about it, Europe saw far more widespread damage during the war than the UK so much of the infrastructure there isnt as old as in the UK and far more modern. The money was also spent unwisely, particularly the change to diesel. There was just no need to scrap fairly new built steam for costly diesels. That money should have been spent on the network then the trains.

Last edited by EddScott; 09 January 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 08:58 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

Yes it,s going to cost a lot of money but hey the government gives hundreds of millions to other countries as charity funds each year and not many people have much faith in our government so for british people to get something would be good imo. I would use it for sure.
Old 09 January 2012, 09:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Biggest problem with HS2 is it goes to New Street Station. Any new link going through here will be an UTTER WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!

New Street needs completely destroying. It cannot be expanded due to what is around it. The only way for it to work is put a hub outside of the city and use New street as a end terminal for traffic going solely to/from the city itself.

My proposal is to expand Birmingham International into a giant 'hub' and bring HS2 into there, then link all the local train networks to it and also put a highspeed link between BHX international to the city for anyone who just needs to go into Brum.

That way it'll handle anyone going from national to local AND anyone going by air to train. Plus it hooks straight to the existing main line, so by-passes Birmingham city for through traffic.

As long as they keep insisting on using New Street, it will never work...There is no space to expand it, the existing rail links in/out of it already put it beyond capacity. As a result there is no proper link from the airport or to the local train network. For example, you currently have to WALK from New Street to Snow hill to get the train to Worcester!! Unacceptable! And HS2 will not change this (as the problem is due to lack of capacity at New Street )

Birmingham international is surrounded by fields and car parks so can easily be expanded and provide good access to international travellers wanting to use the train when landing in Brum. All it need is a new high speed access from it to the City; Not the current crappy affair that gets held up for 20mins due congestion at New Street, offloading national traffic away from New street would enable it to cope.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 January 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 09:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jimbob
This is the reason why.

Do we as the UK look like a good destination for business in Europe, as the European model is for Ultra High Speed Trains, instead of planes.

By doing this the UK will re-coup more money than without.

Just think the Labour Gov stopped a programme called Blue Streak as their rationale was "Who is going to want to put satellites into space??" and the European Space Agency was that Pheonix from Labours flames with the French pocketing the money and the advanced technology.
Spain is infront of us now as well; That map misses off the new links to Madrid and Alicante. Its not quite complete yet, but when up and running it should allow travel right through Europe!

The Spanish have built most it astonishingly quick too, probably twice as quick as what we'll take to complete our half-arsed effort: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVE

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 January 2012 at 09:17 PM. Reason: links 'n piccies
Old 09 January 2012, 09:39 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

If its handled properly and the contracts go to UK based companies then I think its a good idea.

I suspect under EC law contracts will have to go out to European contractors.

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Biggest problem with HS2 is it goes to New Street Station. Any new link going through here will be an UTTER WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!!

New Street needs completely destroying. It cannot be expanded due to what is around it. The only way for it to work is put a hub outside of the city and use New street as a end terminal for traffic going solely to/from the city itself.

My proposal is to expand Birmingham International into a giant 'hub' and bring HS2 into there, then link all the local train networks to it and also put a highspeed link between BHX international to the city for anyone who just needs to go into Brum.

That way it'll handle anyone going from national to local AND anyone going by air to train. Plus it hooks straight to the existing main line, so by-passes Birmingham city for through traffic.

As long as they keep insisting on using New Street, it will never work...There is no space to expand it, the existing rail links in/out of it already put it beyond capacity. As a result there is no proper link from the airport or to the local train network. For example, you currently have to WALK from New Street to Snow hill to get the train to Worcester!! Unacceptable! And HS2 will not change this (as the problem is due to lack of capacity at New Street )

Birmingham international is surrounded by fields and car parks so can easily be expanded and provide good access to international travellers wanting to use the train when landing in Brum. All it need is a new high speed access from it to the City; Not the current crappy affair that gets held up for 20mins due congestion at New Street, offloading national traffic away from New street would enable it to cope.
So why haven't they thought of this? Cost? Heads in sand?

David
Old 09 January 2012, 09:53 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

HS2 is not going to go to New Street. The plan is for a new station near Curzon Street, which will mean a 10 minute walk for anyone wanting to connect to other services in New Street (or longer if you need to go to Snow Hill), offsetting almost half of the proposed 23 minute improvement in journey times. There is no plan to move existing services to the new Curzon Street station.

Complete waste of money in my opinion - although if they do go ahead I'm hoping they stick with the current route because Labour's (and Arup's) favoured alternative goes within a few hundred yards of my house.
Old 09 January 2012, 10:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The French have already perfected the idea of a high speed station OUTside a town, with a shuttle service INTO the town.

Of course, industry and commerce has now grown up around the HighSpeed stations.

Oh, and we already HAVE trains running at over 150mph in the UK, albeit only a short distance.
Old 09 January 2012, 10:39 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

if it is such a great idea let private industry build it and run it as it is always going to be a drain on tax payer
Old 09 January 2012, 10:45 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I would rather see bigger trains being built with more seats, as most rush hour train users will probably confirm, over crowding is getting crazy. Faster trains won't sort that problem out, probably make it worse as more people will use them
Old 09 January 2012, 11:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by scud8
HS2 is not going to go to New Street. The plan is for a new station near Curzon Street, which will mean a 10 minute walk for anyone wanting to connect to other services in New Street (or longer if you need to go to Snow Hill), offsetting almost half of the proposed 23 minute improvement in journey times. There is no plan to move existing services to the new Curzon Street station.

Complete waste of money in my opinion - although if they do go ahead I'm hoping they stick with the current route because Labour's (and Arup's) favoured alternative goes within a few hundred yards of my house.
I stand corrected, as you rightly say it is a very badly thought out if its goes to a station with no proper interconnecting links

I think I got my wires crossed when I heard they were still retaining new street without expanding it. Currently its an embarrasment, HS2 will make it even more so if you need to walk to get another train that goes to the airport or other Midlands non-main line stations.

We do need extra rail links, but this is not the way to do it.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 January 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09 January 2012, 11:29 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Bring back the APT
Old 09 January 2012, 11:36 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'd rather the A453 is widened to dual carriageway so we can get to the new train station which they decided to build short of East Midlands airport meaning you still have to drive there.
Old 09 January 2012, 11:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'd rather the A453 is widened to dual carriageway so we can get to the new train station which they decided to build short of East Midlands airport meaning you still have to drive there.

Well thats part of the problem....how does one get to/from the Birmingham Terminal?

Magic carpet??

Useless. The majority of succesful business people that work in Birmingham especially the high flyers actually live quite far outside of the City. Those that need to travel to London usually jump on the train at Birmingham International (airport) as thats on the main line, next to the motorway with loads of car parking and its served well by bus and coach (national express etc). The car park is a smorgasborg of Bavarian prestige, with a minor spattering of Solihull and Newport Pagnell's finest (and yes, plenty do get nicked ). So...there is a new staion to be built threre....good idea!......BUT.....

However the station thats being built there is on the wrong side of the NEC and propsals say its going use a 'people mover' like the one currently there. which is a poxy 'cable car' with the capacity of 20 people (used to be a prototype maglev - which was much smoother than the current jolty affair) to get people to the other rail terminal.

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 January 2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10 January 2012, 09:12 AM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy

That's how I feel. Actually, I think it only saves 25 minutes, but I may be wrong.
Old 10 January 2012, 11:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it would be far better to spend the cash on improving the existing rail service so that it is a much easier and more pleasant experience for users. More carriages etc would bring more commuters and ticket prices could be lowered. The train service was always very convenient and cheap before Beeching screweed it all up.

Going to all the expense of 200 mph trains is a waste of money and also unpleasant for those living near them.

Les
Old 10 January 2012, 12:21 PM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much will it be for a ticket I wonder. Have you seen the existing prices of the current transportation network?! This will make that look cheap. Therefore it'll be purely for business travellers. Ergo no, I do not see the point of it.

And what will happen to the existing routes that will be competing? Either they'll lose lots of business customers and recoup it by charging more for cattle class, or they'll run less services; either way it'll be lose-lose for the average train commuter.

If it was 100% privately funded then no complaints, but it wont.

Last edited by ReallyReallyGoodMeat; 10 January 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10 January 2012, 01:04 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
+ Lots!

East Midlands Parkway - great station, fast links. Never used.
Old 10 January 2012, 01:35 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Yes they could reach 200mph. The HS1 line is capable of this. Though the trains often do not go that fast.

Not sure that basing this decision a pure cost benefit analysis is a good thing. I look at all the local lines around the suburbs in South London (and probably other major cities?), and see a load of lines built way before there were suburbs reaching this far out. Some most have just been built into what was then just fields. For many now living in and around the M25 in London having a local line and a local station is essential and now doubt a proper benefit to the population.

I would think a few Edwardian and Victorian businessmen went bust for lines that never generated the income in their lifetime. Also I think most now recognise (at least in Europe) that having a true efficient rail service is a must almost regardless of the headline costs. Much like the military?

So I'd like to see it built, but it's hard to argue against the cost/benefit arguements when the benefits are so hard to quantify.
Old 10 January 2012, 02:39 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

HS2 goes straight thru the corner of our newly built glass & steel gin palace office complex - less than 5yrs old!

I'll be less than 20 metres away from it at my desk but have to travel to Birmingham to catch it.... go figure

hmmm Might be a bit drafty too!
Old 10 January 2012, 03:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian F
if it is such a great idea let private industry build it and run it as it is always going to be a drain on tax payer
The French system subsidises the rest of SNCF

Quick Reply: High Speed Rail Link?