Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blacklisted phone question

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2012, 02:00 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blacklisted phone question

If a phone is blacklisted in the UK will it work abroad i.e. on another country's network?
Old 07 January 2012, 02:14 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blacklisted as in what way, A stolen/Lost and reported to the network provider phone?
Old 07 January 2012, 02:17 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Blacklisted as in what way, A stolen/Lost and reported to the network provider phone?
Yes a stolen/recovered.
Old 07 January 2012, 02:19 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

depends on the phone, some phones can be cracked to work in the UK even with a black listed IMEI, other phones, Blackberry for example, have to be sent abroad.

Found this out in the summer after finding a brand new Blackberry in the park, phone didnt work. It had a '3' logo on it so reported it to 3 who confirmed it had been lost and blocked. For reasons they wouldnt explain, they didnt want it back. Frustrating as it is literally brand new, but cant be used. I was going to stick it on US ebay as apparently it will work over there, but didnt want it to look as though I was selling a stolen phone, so its just sat on a drawer
Old 07 January 2012, 02:31 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mollymoo666
depends on the phone, some phones can be cracked to work in the UK even with a black listed IMEI, other phones, Blackberry for example, have to be sent abroad.

Found this out in the summer after finding a brand new Blackberry in the park, phone didnt work. It had a '3' logo on it so reported it to 3 who confirmed it had been lost and blocked. For reasons they wouldnt explain, they didnt want it back. Frustrating as it is literally brand new, but cant be used. I was going to stick it on US ebay as apparently it will work over there, but didnt want it to look as though I was selling a stolen phone, so its just sat on a drawer
Well that's kind of my problem. I had a phone stolen in August and recovered the next day but the police decided to keep this to themselves for a couple of months before contacting me for reasons best know to themselves.

In the meantime I bought a replacement phone from the phone company who now claim the stolen recovered belongs to them having at first said it didn't.

They said they should send a jiffy bag out for it but probably won't, but they will not un-blacklist it either. They did offer to let me buy it off them (again). I told them to go away.

So I figure I will sit on it for a month or two and if nothing comes from he phone company will send it to a friend abroad so she can use it... hence my question!
Old 07 January 2012, 02:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

It will only be blacklisted in the UK, UK operators share a black list register which bars blacklisted handsets from connecting to the network, there is no hack to get around this unless you change the IMEI, and that in itself is a real pain to do.

Tony
Old 07 January 2012, 02:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
It will only be blacklisted in the UK, UK operators share a black list register which bars blacklisted handsets from connecting to the network, there is no hack to get around this unless you change the IMEI, and that in itself is a real pain to do.

Tony
Cheers Tony, thanks for that. I will send it abroad then if I don't hear anything in the next few weeks from the phone company.
Old 07 January 2012, 02:54 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Yep, Only in the UK AFAIK, Surely if you had to `Buy` a new phone how can they say the one that is lost is their property,Presumably it was on a contract, Fair enough if they gave you the replacement phone i could see their point, I`d offer to see if they want to buy the replacement phone back and then un-block the blacklisted one as this seems as unreasonable as their request IMO.
Old 07 January 2012, 03:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GAZ2293
Yep, Only in the UK AFAIK, Surely if you had to `Buy` a new phone how can they say the one that is lost is their property,Presumably it was on a contract, Fair enough if they gave you the replacement phone i could see their point, I`d offer to see if they want to buy the replacement phone back and then un-block the blacklisted one as this seems as unreasonable as their request IMO.
Yes, tried all that. Apparently even though I paid them for a replacement phone the original is still theirs..... a fact they failed to mention when they 'sold' me the replacement. They are not interested in any compromise and said they were being lenient not demanding I send it back to them. Been a customer of theirs since day 1 too. Won't be any longer.
Old 07 January 2012, 03:33 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yes, tried all that. Apparently even though I paid them for a replacement phone the original is still theirs..... a fact they failed to mention when they 'sold' me the replacement. They are not interested in any compromise and said they were being lenient not demanding I send it back to them. Been a customer of theirs since day 1 too. Won't be any longer.
Surely if you are on a contract the phone becomes your property as you are paying for it as part of your contract with them? I think they have got a little wire crossed somewhere.

Just out of curiosity which phone company would it be?
Old 07 January 2012, 04:07 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Surely if you are on a contract the phone becomes your property as you are paying for it as part of your contract with them? I think they have got a little wire crossed somewhere.

Just out of curiosity which phone company would it be?
Well yes that is what I thought so I asked them to clarify it with a supervisor who said exactly the same thing.

The company? Well let's just say they're a fruit and a colour LOL!
Old 07 January 2012, 04:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

No one will bother sending you a return envolope for the recovered phone and if they did it would be thru normal mail so there is no proof that you recieved a pre paid return envolope or no proof that you returned unless its all done by special delivery. So if you said you returned it how could they disprove it?
Old 07 January 2012, 04:52 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Are you talking to them over the phone or in the shop? As i had a problem with my phone and my mrs phone both Nokia N97`s both taken out at the same time and both developed faults at the same time but different ones, This was about 6 months ago

Got told the usual `We dont manufacture the phones etc... Not responsible , but we can send them off and you will be without in the meantime but you can buy another to keep you going if you want`

So i went into the shop to be greeted by a very feminine acting young chap, Who reiterated the policy i was spouted at down the phone, This was at about 3.15 on a saturday afternoon, So i requested to speak to customer services and he said yes dial *** from your phone, `Er, Are you not listening, My phone does not work`, After being told there was a £170 cancellation fee per phone, Bearing in mind i only had 4 months left on them and it was only £25 P/M, I then asked them to do the maths. To cut a very long story short after talking to 4 different people at `T-mobile/Orange` customer services at 5.40pm(Yes, I was on their shop phone for more than 2 hours) i was getting 2 new iphones which the feminine chap was not very pleased about, One for me and one for the Mrs which is all i requested in the first place and i also mentioned at the outset i didnt mind paying a bit extra per month for a phone that was fit for purpose, But no they wanted me to waste my time and theirs......So i did with the same end result

I guess it all comes down to how valid the argument is and how far you are prepared to go, I had worked in retail/managment for 10 years before having enough of the genral public kicking and screaming demanding this and that and usually getting what they want regardless of the company policy which just ends up making you look totally incompitent to the customer when they come back in with a big smile on their face asking for their money back when you have stood your ground and said no but for some muppet on the phone in head office to reverse everything you have said, What i have learnt is that if you stand your ground you can usually get what you want,

Especially on a saturday afternoon with a shop full of people that closes at 5.30

Rant over but mobile phone shops are not my cup of tea if you hadn`t already guessed,

Gaz.

Last edited by The Pink Ninja; 07 January 2012 at 04:56 PM.