UK Refuses To Give To IMF's EU Bailout Fund

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2011, 02:04 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool UK Refuses To Give To IMF's EU Bailout Fund

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16133522

The conference call with 26 other EU finance ministers lasted three hours but ended without Britain's agreement to put in up to 50bn euros
So there are 27 countries in the EU! And the bailout fund is 200 billion! so why should Britain Stump up 1/4 of the total bail out fund?

Surely this bail out fund should be a sort of insurance policy that all of the 27 EU countries pay an equal amount into.
Old 22 December 2011, 02:07 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Osborne told his EU colleagues he will not provide any cash to boost the 200bn euro fund, which is specifically aimed at the troubled eurozone.

The conference call with 26 other EU finance ministers lasted three hours but ended without Britain's agreement to put in up to 50bn euros.
Sounds like they wanted to go beyond 200Billion and were looking for the UK to stump up as much as 50Billion euros. Either way we'd just be funding the next couple of collapses rather than fixing any problem.
Old 22 December 2011, 02:09 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

if thats true, how can you begin to comprehend the idiocy of those running things.

as ive said before, we get the cry of weve got no money for pensions, jobs, incestments in communities ect ect. and people on here have consistantly told me no money means theres no money

but suddenly the get 50bn euros from somewhere? be it a loan or whatever to give to other countries

if im well off, please educate me, but from what i can see, the leaders should fck right off!!!
Old 22 December 2011, 02:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I really hope that they don't get a penny from us to cobble up their incompetence with.

If they somehow fiddle their way through this crisis, it will just happen again.

Les
Old 22 December 2011, 02:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Fine, if they want to increase it then everyone should have to pay more in equal amounts. The EU is for all intense and purposes a club and membership of that club should be the same for all members bearing in mind there is no Bronze, Silver, Gold membership levels.

Everyone should pay the same amount in and get the same benefits of being members.

Last edited by Wurzel; 22 December 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 22 December 2011, 02:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Why can they just get shome other sap to contribute , with a little wonga

I hear Brazil are keen

Old 22 December 2011, 02:22 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

the whole of the rest of europe must see us as an easy target,

we were a relativley prosperous country in comparison to a lot of european countries, and it seems to me as if these other countries feel they should be getting a share of our prosperity. although changed quite a bit since recession.
so whats the definitive answer if there is one, are we actually going to give this, or has it not been decided?
Old 22 December 2011, 02:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I don't think we being asked to 'give' anything are we?

This is a request for a loan, and IMF pledges have always been repaid in full, with interest
Old 22 December 2011, 03:09 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

If you look at Eurozone finances as a whole, the debt burden is not unusually high, so why should they be going begging to the rest of the world via the IMF?
Old 22 December 2011, 03:11 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

well that makes it a different story

i wish the press would stop hyping everything and just report the truth for once.

either way i still dont know whats exactly happening, so commenting on a maybe, is pointless
Old 22 December 2011, 05:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What's the betting that, in reality, HE HAS NO CHOICE.......thanks Mr Darling?
Old 22 December 2011, 05:20 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

I can't understand why the EU (Germany) wanted all of the other countries to to join the EU when all they can contribute is a few peanuts. I agree with the OP, the bill should be split evenly. If the other countries can't cough up then it's a clear sign they ain't needed. Just my opinion.
Old 22 December 2011, 05:22 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
Fine, if they want to increase it then everyone should have to pay more in equal amounts. The EU is for all intense and purposes a club and membership of that club should be the same for all members bearing in mind there is no Bronze, Silver, Gold membership levels.

Everyone should pay the same amount in and get the same benefits of being members.
It is unreasonable to expect a tiny country in population and economic terms to contribute the same amount as say Germany. Perhaps base contributions on GDP.

An odd aspect of this is that Italy and Spain will be contributing, two countries who may well be helped out, and can ill afford to lend to others.

But the Euro is doomed anyway as no one has a trillion or so to sort it out.

dl
Old 22 December 2011, 05:30 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
It is unreasonable to expect a tiny country in population and economic terms to contribute the same amount as say Germany. Perhaps base contributions on GDP.

An odd aspect of this is that Italy and Spain will be contributing, two countries who may well be helped out, and can ill afford to lend to others.

dl
I still don't see why we should be bent over a barrel and butt fcuked because we might have a bit more than others, it's a bit like saying you have more than they have so you'll pay to make up what they can't.

Which seems to be the case to me, unless I'm mistaken?
Old 22 December 2011, 05:32 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

dl
Better get the printers fired up then
Old 22 December 2011, 06:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
I still don't see why we should be bent over a barrel and butt fcuked because we might have a bit more than others, it's a bit like saying you have more than they have so you'll pay to make up what they can't.

Which seems to be the case to me, unless I'm mistaken?

I don't disagree. And why shoud we cough up for Greece when they fiddled the books?

But if you join the club then you have to stick to the rules. UK have said no to the new rules so won't be paying. Fair enough.

Originally Posted by Adam-M
Better get the printers fired up then
De la Rue (Zimbabwe Ltd) are raring to go

dl
Old 22 December 2011, 07:06 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

dl
Why is it unreasonable to all pay the same.

I do not expect to join a fitness studio and pay nore than the next person because I work for HP and they work for the local supermarket. We are both members of the same club. We should both pay teh same membership fee. It is not my fault they do not get paid as much as me.
Old 22 December 2011, 07:22 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The amount paid in depends on a few things, the population of the paying country, it's GDP etc, all AGREED when that country joins.

The mistake we made was letting the USA steer us into accepting all of the old Soviet Bloc countries as full members.

They should have been kept at arm's length, members but only SUB-members. How can they have the same rights etc as those who have been there years?

And guess where a LOT of funds have gone since THEY joined?

Back to the thread: I STILL say that we will end up paying........watch this space.
Old 22 December 2011, 07:24 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Its a sorry state of affairs and something that we have no control over as people, the money will go as the govenment will hold the EU relationship in higher value that the money they are giving away (or lending if it comes back..)

We could have used that money to correct the uk situation and then looked at helping others.

the euro is screwed and the sooner they scrap it and come up with something new the better, personally I am waiting for the bailout to come from somewhere like China.....
Old 22 December 2011, 07:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The problem is that the € is a political thing and many political futures are riding on it, not least Merkel and Sarkozy.

And politicians will do ANYTHING to save their political skins.....as WE know well.
Old 22 December 2011, 07:51 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam-M
I can't understand why the EU (Germany) wanted all of the other countries to to join the EU when all they can contribute is a few peanuts. I agree with the OP, the bill should be split evenly. If the other countries can't cough up then it's a clear sign they ain't needed. Just my opinion.
Germany gets the benefit of a frozen exchange rate with the rest of the Eurozone and an unnaturally low exchange rate with the rest of the world - all of which is good news for German exports and a big reason behind her current economic strength. Now it comes to paying the bill for this benefit the Germans are baulking.

Last edited by scud8; 22 December 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 22 December 2011, 08:33 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

I repeat, we aren't actually 'paying' anyone, anything
Old 22 December 2011, 10:27 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Why is it unreasonable to all pay the same.

I do not expect to join a fitness studio and pay nore than the next person because I work for HP and they work for the local supermarket. We are both members of the same club. We should both pay teh same membership fee. It is not my fault they do not get paid as much as me.

But using your analogy it is HP that are joining the club not an individual and you would expect HP to pay more than the local supermarket - Tesco excluded

dl
Old 23 December 2011, 07:04 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

http://news.sky.com/home/politics/article/16133522

So there are 27 countries in the EU! And the bailout fund is 200 billion! so why should Britain Stump up 1/4 of the total bail out fund?

Surely this bail out fund should be a sort of insurance policy that all of the 27 EU countries pay an equal amount into.
Because the Germans and particularly the French, have always used us as a cash-cow to fund their plans. The only reason they let us join was to fleece us into paying for Frances move out of the nineteenth century and for our fishing rights.

They still expect us to pay for their dinner now, and see how they act when we dont...
Old 23 December 2011, 07:05 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I repeat, we aren't actually 'paying' anyone, anything
Look in your rear view mirroe and youll see that all we have ever done is pay for Europe.
Old 23 December 2011, 08:47 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Cool

But using your analogy it is HP that are joining the club not an individual and you would expect HP to pay more than the local supermarket - Tesco excluded

dl
No I was refering to 2 individuals that earn different amounts wanting to join the same 3rd party club.
Old 23 December 2011, 10:22 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Eurozone are a victim of their own regulations The ECB cannot loan money directly to countries so what they are doing to get around this is trying to setup Euro bailout fund so that they can give this to the IMF and then for the IMF to loan it back out to the countries in the Eurozone. They currently don't have enough in the fund and are desperately wanting the UK to make up the shortfall. Lets forget the legalities of laundering money.
Old 23 December 2011, 10:25 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

No I was refering to 2 individuals that earn different amounts wanting to join the same 3rd party club.

OK I am sure you are right and I am not wallowing in semantics in this festive season

Was it Marx who said he wouldn't want to joining a club who would have him as a member? Perhaps there is a lesson there

david
Old 23 December 2011, 10:56 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Spain and other countries a like are only in their position due to their corruption. They are far wealthier than the official figures suggest. When I lived and ran a business there the solicitors thought there was something wrong with you when you went to them and declared your tax. The government know about this, people know that the government know about this but know one does thing about it and then cry to the EU claiming not to have any money.

The UK are a total laughing stock in Europe. Who is it we have to thank for this?

Quick Reply: UK Refuses To Give To IMF's EU Bailout Fund