Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Council Re-grading

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2011, 02:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Council Re-grading

Hey, just thought I would canvass opinion on where my wife stands in relation to her recent application for a re-grading.

She works for a Local Authority and in February last year new legislation was passed that had an immediate impact on her duties. She uses a computer-based system to log jobs, meaning that stats are available to show the near instant change in what she was doing on a day-to-day basis.

The new duties take up 70%+ of her time and are far more involved than what she was doing before. Specifically, it requires a higher level of intelligence, involves enforcement, conflict resolution, dealing with the police, PF, and courts, and it involves a lot of unsupervised decision making (that has consequences). This is very different from what she did before.

She completed an application for a re-grading and to have her job titled changed to reflect the fact that what she does has completely transformed. The Council have accepted her argument and are re-grading her upwards accordingly.

However, they are rejecting her (and her colleague's) claim for back payment from the day that the job roll changed significantly. We feel this is unfair as there was an overnight transformation in her duties and responsibilities and she has diligently worked away for nearly a year in this new roll. If the Council accepts that she should be remunerated higher for this new roll, surely they should pay her for all the days she has worked in that capacity?

Any idea where we stand on this?
Old 21 December 2011, 04:16 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

In the private sector it is commonly expected that staff work "up" a grade before recieving the renumeration associated. Personally I'm a half full kind of person so would take the regrade and extra renumeration as a bonus rather than look at what I had lost. After all the money is not something you had to lose.

How much money are we talking about?
Old 21 December 2011, 05:04 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

It would be around £1300 pre-tax.

I understand that some job roles evolve slowly over time and it's hard to pin-point when the change occurred that merits a higher salary.

In this case, however, a piece of legislation came into effect and from that day onwards the role was changed dramatically overnight.
Old 21 December 2011, 06:17 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I suppose you have to weigh up if it's really worth the pursuit, especially in these straightened times.