Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Complaining about traffic calming measures

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2002, 02:43 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone give me some advice on how to complain about traffic calming measures that the local council have put in, near a school? I think that if I complain to the local council themselves, that the letter would be filed under 'B'.

Aside from the usual bollards, mini-roundabouts and rumble strips, they have added a ramp right outside the school, to slow traffic down to a crawl, and give the kiddies a chance to cross in safety. Great, I haven't got a problem with that. The problem is that I can't drive down this road anymore for fear of losing my oil sump on the ramp.

I would rather the council had put a gatso outside the school and set it to trigger at anything greater than 20mph, along with a zebra crossing.

The damn ramp has been there for a couple of months, and the council claim they consulted the local residents before putting the measures in - I live a mile or so away and they didn't consult me!

My concern is that some idiot is going to think they had a great idea and extend it to every road in the area.

Den
Old 21 June 2002, 03:08 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

If you live a whole mile away, then you aren't really local are you. Anyhow, can't you just avoid the road in question? or is it essential that you have to drive down it?
Old 21 June 2002, 05:08 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Also a bit worried about speed humps as i will be getting a caterham and would hate to find that these were too big for me to drive over. have heard that the height of these ramps/humps could only be 70 mm or something near to this, so wondered if you damaged your car could you sue the council. if they had enough outstanding claims maybe they would think about what type of traffic calming measures they employed in the future.
P.S. no problem with humps etc but would like them not to damage my car, as i pay road tax it would be nice not to be hemmed in by speed humps.
terry
Old 21 June 2002, 05:59 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Terry has hit the nail on the head, I drive a 7 and I'm worried about the damage to my sump.

I can work around it but

a) it adds 3 miles to a regular journey of mine

b) I don't see why I should when I pay the same amount of road tax as everyone else

c) Only if the local council don't decide to extend the scheme to the other roads locally

Den

[Edited by Dirty_Den - 6/21/2002 6:00:48 PM]