Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dumped Cars

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2001, 12:18 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a lot depends on where the car is dumped. If it's causing an obstruction or is left somewhere dangerous, then the police may move it quite quickly, but if it's just left on the side of the road (or outside someone's house ) then it's the council's responsibility.

At the moment, many councils are unable to keep up with the number of dumped cars. The change to unleaded coupled with the price collapse in the 2nd-hand car market and the drop in the scrap value of metal has left many cars unsellable. This has led to such an increase in some areas that the council tow-away parks are full.

The council is obliged to try to find the car's owner first and ask them to move it, before finally getting it towed away. As most are simply "reported stolen", there's no chance of getting any money until the owner has been given enough time to collect it, so they tend not to rush things.

As with most things in modern life, any attempt to right the situation yourself will usually result in the full weight of the law crashing down on you.

Of course, some councils are just bone idle along with their outsourced contractors, but don't get me started!
Old 26 February 2001, 10:31 AM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Being new to BBS I don't know whether this one has been covered or not so apologies if it has. The subject is joy ridden cars which have been dumped, usually just off a motorway or dual carriageway leading out of London. As I live near Guildford and hence the A3 and M3 this is a fairly common occurrence. My question is whose responsibility is the removal of these vehicles, police, council? They usually have a police aware sticker on them pretty quick but the removal is another thing.

There is currently an old 5 series Beemer on the A31, just off the A3 which has been there for at least 4 weeks and still shows no sign of being removed. Surely the longer it's there the more damage its likely to receive and more agro its likely to cause. Why is it that if you park illegally they fine you within nano seconds but a dumped car can stay as long as 'someone' deems fit?
Old 26 February 2001, 11:23 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

As far as I know, it costs the Police a lot of money to remove a dumped car.

You could always put a claim in for it. If noone comes forward in 6 months, its yours!

Cem
Old 26 February 2001, 05:17 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

So thats why my car is still where I left it?

The head gasket went a month ago, so I have left it parked in a street in Burnley, though it is near a friends garage who may be buying it, and it is still taxed.

DavidRB's reasons make sense to me - it is worth sod all to sell or scrap so I have just left it.

Anyway the Scoob should be coming soon - yeehaa
Old 26 February 2001, 07:38 PM
Boost II
Scooby Regular

I heard the councils used to invite scrap dealers to come and salvage abandoned cars but now a rusty old wreck is not worth anywhere near the recovery cost so they don't bother taking them anymore.
Old 26 February 2001, 09:25 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Just paint some yellow lines round it, it'll be gone in no time, alternatively put a sign on it reading it is an offence to move this car and some tealeaf will nick it just for the crack!
Bob
Old 26 February 2001, 10:45 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Has anyone else noticed that as soon as the 'Police aware' stickers go on it then the windows all get smashed and anything of value (stereo, speekers, steering wheel, seats, etc...) are removed, then it is still there for a few weeks. An even bigger eyesore and hazard than it was before.
Old 27 February 2001, 08:19 AM
adamp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes, funny that the thing designed to save the car actually contributes to its downfall! Has anyone actually ever seen a dumped being being vandalised or bits being nicked off it. The windows get smashed, the panels get dented, wheels and even bonnets get nicked, but when. Are they like tooth fairies?
Old 27 February 2001, 08:56 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Problem is that the "Police Aware" sign is a banner for toerags to say that there is no security of any consequence on this car - do whatever you want to it... and they do.
Old 27 February 2001, 10:23 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dream Weaver:
<B>The head gasket went a month ago, so I have left it parked in a street in Burnley, though it is near a friends garage who may be buying it, and it is still taxed.[/quote]Well, I hope someone doesn't dump their car outside your house...

(Pet peeve as I am battling with the council to get a car moved from outside my parents' house at the moment. Three months and counting.... )
Old 27 February 2001, 11:37 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidRB:
<B> Well, I hope someone doesn't dump their car outside your house...

(Pet peeve as I am battling with the council to get a car moved from outside my parents' house at the moment. Three months and counting.... )[/quote]

DavidRB

Just joking - calm down

It isn't actually dumped - it is locked up and parked outside my friends garage. It is also taxed etc etc. Just with working Down South for the last month I havent had a chance to move it (not that it will ). My mate who owns the garage is buying it off me as soon as I get back up there to sell on in his own garage. It is not obstructing anything, or illegally parked.

DW

[This message has been edited by Dream Weaver (edited 27 February 2001).]
Old 27 February 2001, 11:48 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dream Weaver:
<B>Just joking - calm down[/quote]
No worries, I'm back on the medication again!