Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

internet content security settings

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2011, 04:28 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default internet content security settings

new lap top, got different users for everyone, but i want to be able to block any adult or unsuitable content from being stumbled across, lol

ive looked through my pc set up menu, and just offers a programme blocker for installed programmes.

how can i do this? do i need to contact my service provider, and can they allow all on one log in and restrict another?

thanks for any help
Old 17 December 2011, 04:42 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

A lot of the guys I work with who have kids put K9 Web Protection (www.k9webprotection.com) on their PCs. It's got very up-to-date website content ratings, and you can also block kids from surfing the web after a certain time at night if you want. Best of all it's completely free.

This is the industry I actually work in btw, so these are people who know what they're on about.
Old 17 December 2011, 05:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
A lot of the guys I work with who have kids put K9 Web Protection (www.k9webprotection.com) on their PCs. It's got very up-to-date website content ratings, and you can also block kids from surfing the web after a certain time at night if you want. Best of all it's completely free.

This is the industry I actually work in btw, so these are people who know what they're on about.
Seconded
Old 17 December 2011, 05:07 PM
Dark
Scooby Regular

Microsoft Family Safety does a reasonable job of blocking questionable websites.

Otherwise depending upon what ISP & router you have, you can reconfigure the router DNS settings to use OpenDNS and their custom web filtering.
Old 17 December 2011, 06:00 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

a bug plus 1 for opendns.org

because it is done at the router the settings are enforced for any PC/Device connecting on my network

increasingly important with teenagers bringing friends around

not perfect, but does the job for me and means no addition cr4p applications/software on the PC etc
Old 17 December 2011, 06:40 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

thanks so far, so that first recommendation k9.... is decent and easy to set up, and can apply to just one login, leaving other as standard for when dad wants to check out the latest "football scores" haha

kids still young but the worry is they just play with keyboard and get some random unsuitable content. and i dont want that happening.

my 3 year old cant leave the house without, ipod, ds and portable dvd player!!!! fcking changed days!