Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Diamonds...

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2011, 02:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Diamonds...

I'm looking to buy my g/f a diamond eternity ring as an xmas present. Obviously the sky is the limit price wise but how is the best way to go about it? Fortunate in that I can get down to Hatton Garden but what should I be looking for? Number of carats is good obviously & she likes white gold but there is such a choice! What else? Are different types of cut better? Different types of diamond?

I'm looking to spend in the £500 - £800 region & at least if I visit, I can haggle a bit as well. But...
Old 13 December 2011, 02:59 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be worth a look at a respectable auction house for jewellery sales as the price will be judged by people who know a decent diamond when they see one. But it will be second hand of course which g/f may not want although you could remount - the stone that is - which would make it more personal.

Have you thought of other stones?

dl
Old 13 December 2011, 03:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My mum had a lovely one, it had a row of decent sized stones:
Diamond, Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby, Emerald, Saphire, Tourmaline, spelled out DEAREST.

There are others.

But a vist to a DECENT jewellers in Hatton Garden, or Birmingham's jewellery quarter will get you better advice than on here
Old 13 December 2011, 03:27 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

I was in a similar situation recently. Google is your friend, there is a loads of info on the net to do your research. In a nutshell the value of a diamond depends on the 4C's. Cut, colour, carat and clarity. You get what you pay for with diamonds! I would say get the best quality diamond you can afford. Don't get hung up on the size. IMO its better to have a proper little sparkler than a large dull piece of 'glass'.

As for white gold, I only recently discovered its not white but Rhodium plated. Over time the plating wears off and the yellow gold will show through again. To keep them looking good you need to have them re-plated. For this reason I went for platinum.

Good luck with your search.
Old 13 December 2011, 03:48 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I can recommend this guy

http://www.caanthomas.com/

Works from home and does all the complicated work for the retail jewellers.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:04 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

As above bought the missus engagement ring from the Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. Also I see the 4Cs have been mentioned. Weight - i.e. how many carats does not set a diamonds value alone. You could by a 1ct diamond for the same cost as a 0.5ct diamond but it will be dull and yellow. Cut, colour and clarity are very important. With any good diamond you will get a certificate showing measurement of all these things and it'll be needed by your insurer if ever it gets lost to show the stone you are claiming for really is worth what you think it is.

Also regarding white gold, we were told the same and also the platinum is significantly stronger so the ring can stand up to daily wear and tear. We also had our wedding rings done in platinum. Costs more though
Old 13 December 2011, 04:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob will flog you one
Old 13 December 2011, 05:20 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

1 carat diamond top quality cost anywhere between 8-10k dependent on ring material
Old 13 December 2011, 05:39 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Old 13 December 2011, 05:42 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Diamond, Emerald, Amethyst, Ruby, Emerald, Saphire, Tourmaline, spelled out DEAREST.

There are others.

But a vist to a DECENT jewellers in Hatton Garden, or Birmingham's jewellery quarter will get you better advice than on here

I might buy my ex one for Christmas:

Saphire,Lapiz Lazuli,Amethyst,Garnet.
Old 13 December 2011, 06:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Old 13 December 2011, 07:07 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
1 carat diamond top quality cost anywhere between 8-10k dependent on ring material
I would say even a bit more than that, prices are going up and up. And something with a really special polish and cut... you wont get any change from 20 grand! Will sparkle like nothing else on earth though!
Old 13 December 2011, 07:09 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
I'm looking to buy my g/f a diamond eternity ring as an xmas present. Obviously the sky is the limit price wise but how is the best way to go about it? Fortunate in that I can get down to Hatton Garden but what should I be looking for? Number of carats is good obviously & she likes white gold but there is such a choice! What else? Are different types of cut better? Different types of diamond?

I'm looking to spend in the £500 - £800 region & at least if I visit, I can haggle a bit as well. But...
SWT good luck
Old 13 December 2011, 09:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!

Diamonds may come in different shapes, sizes, cuts, quality etc. so do wallets. You can find a decent diamond ring for your GF for under £800 without burning a bigger hole in your pocket. Just to sample it for you from an online seller:
http://www.diamondsfactory.co.uk/Pro...roductid=57698

Bling on line may turn out to be "not so bling" in real, so you may like to pop into the jewellers to find a good one. You can haggle as well in person. Depends where you are buying from, though. A stuck-up merchant may give you dirty looks for haggling and tell you to stick it, whereas a humble (or a recession victim) one will be pleased to oblige. See how it goes.

Good luck and a good thought. Your GF is a lucky lady.
Old 13 December 2011, 10:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Something like this perhaps?

dl
Old 13 December 2011, 10:54 PM
Bealescooby
Scooby Regular

Tiffany Diamonds in Birmingham Jewellery quarter hes a top bloke done my wifes engagement and wedding ring and also made my wedding ring witha band of diamonds
does quality work with quality diamonds at good prices
Old 14 December 2011, 08:48 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

There are others.

+1 for the jewelry quarter. The bonus for me is it's only about 30 mins from me.

You will most definately get more for your money, better quality or clarity etc depending on what you want.
Old 14 December 2011, 08:53 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Something like this perhaps?

dl
Are any of these £800? If they are they are good value as they look more expensive.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:00 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

ratners? h.samuel?
Old 14 December 2011, 10:50 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Are any of these £800? If they are they are good value as they look more expensive.

Mr Burton didn't buy £800 trinkets

dl
Old 14 December 2011, 01:25 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Costco has a selection of jewellery and the Diamonds are guaranteed to be worth twice as much as you pay for them, its part of their "Diamond Guarantee". They range right up to £30k and when you buy they test each diamonds quality with a machine in front of you.

Worth a try. I got my wife a Diamond necklace for £250 which came with a valuation certificate for £500