Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Khan vs Peterson. Anyone watch the fight?

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2011, 01:28 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Khan vs Peterson. Anyone watch the fight?

Lasting impressions of Khan were:

1. He cant fight on the inside
2. He has no plan B if plan A isn't working
3. He doesn't punch as hard as his KO % would suggest
4. He slaps a lot when throwing combinations
5. He still hasn't got rid of the macho bravado when he gets tagged

That said, I dont think the ref was great. I think Peterson was coming in with his head low and so your choices are to either get nutted, or push the fella off. I also think that as a boxer and not a brawler, Khan should have been allowed to tie the guy up on the inside instead of continuous "fight it out" requests from the ref.

Khan needs to learn how to fight on the inside and also how to adapt in a fight if plan A isn't working, otherwise losses to fighters he should be beating will continue to happen.

One things for sure. I wont watch another Khan fight thinking he'll get blown over every time he takes a shot. I think the myth that he has no chin has finally been put to rest. I also think he's got the heart of a real champion that digs deep when the going gets tough.

If he can learn to do the above then I think he could do really big things in boxing, otherwise I think he'll go on to fight, and win, more world titles but, always be prone to losing fights he probably should be winning.

Any thoughts ?
Old 11 December 2011, 01:52 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

iv been a khan fan a long time, and when i watched this there were points in the bout i was like 'wtfs he doin' that said. peterson seemed a tough cookie and was boxing for his supper. the deduction of points, controversial! peterson was comin in with his head alot but this is boxing this is what happens! i think khan will learn from his mistakes and come back even stronger just like after his last loss. you just gotta look at the improves that were made after that.

oh and 9000 people flat seated in the arena and an inexperienced ref - wtf were they thinking. ]

what i cant stand is all the haters who will get back on their perches now and shout 'glass chin, embarrasment to UK' etc etc....**** off!
Old 11 December 2011, 02:05 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

he was **** end of.

and very unsportsman like blaming everyone else but his poor performance.

never leave it to the judges
Old 11 December 2011, 02:49 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great fight none the less
Agreed re: the glass chin.
Poor form from Khan to blame the ref - you were warned many times you little ****
Equally poor form regarding the DC comments
Old 11 December 2011, 05:48 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

For me Lamont Peterson was a worthy winner, Khan started off like a house on fire but once Peterson got into the fight and weathered the early Khan storm he was the main agressor.

Khan did too much running especially in the second half of the fight, it was Peterson that was going after Khan and he landed a lot of the better punches.

Khan's speed at times is incredible but he doesn't hit as hard as a lot of the top fighters do, he does a lot of quick flurries with the combinations but a lot of those punches hit Peterson's gloves or they missed, some got through but their not as heavy as they would need to be to trouble someone like Mayweather.

Peterson fought the fight of his life and its something he wanted badly as you could tell from his attitude and workrate, Khan for me took him too lightly and was probably thinking well beyond this fight as if all he had to do was to turn up to win to beat Peterson.

If you look at Khan's actual knock out rate its not that good, he has a few TKO's but not many clean knock outs, he struggled to beat McCloskey and against Maidana he would have beaten if it had gone on any longer. I'd never expect him to fight Maidana again as i think he'd be beaten, Maidana made a lot of mistakes that night yet Khan was hanging on for dear life at the end.

Amir blew it, i'd expect him to beat Peterson in a rematch in Vegas as i don't think Peterson could rise to the same level again, it was his night last night. It was a great fight and credit to Lamont Peterson who fought the fight of his life, a worthy champion on the night.
Old 12 December 2011, 09:37 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

you learn from your mistakes and after the prescott fight he made a very impressive comeback. this is boxing, this is what happens..win some loose some. rematch in march set of vegas? doubt he would go back to DC
Old 12 December 2011, 09:50 AM
chet123
Scooby Regular

Default re-match

Khan was pushing Peterson back but then again Peterson was coming in with his head. Peterson style reminds me alot like Tyson coming forward but Tyson never came in with his head unlike Peterson.

Khan was warned several times and to be honest I'm surprised the ref left it so late before knocking a point or evening warning Khan because I notice very early on. If the ref had warned Khan or deducted a point in the early rounds then the situation would have all changed.

I dont think Peterson was the winner here, maybe a draw but Khan did give a good performance away from home.

Nevertheless Khan knows he has things to prove and could see from his dissappointment at the end of the interview that he will be back. Just gutted for him.
Old 12 December 2011, 10:16 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
If the ref had warned Khan or deducted a point in the early rounds then the situation would have all changed.
I don't agree.
Round 7 - point deducted.
Khan still at his lark 5 rounds later!
Old 12 December 2011, 10:53 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I was about to say he had his warning with his 1st deduction.

Only got himself to blame, that lost him the fight
Old 12 December 2011, 11:08 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Didn't he go to the states to work on his defence?

If so then he needs different training, because his defence was shyte
Old 12 December 2011, 12:09 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

He's got one if the best trainers around, you'd think he'd have is defence sorted this loss has put him back a couple of years
Old 12 December 2011, 12:58 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

With the points taken off, i still had it 144-111 for Khan. I agree almost completely with the OP's comments. He took some decent punches. He definitely needs to get a different game plan if his charge-in and get out doesn't work. He seems to be able to throw body punches, so maybe work on the inside. The ref did not sternly warn Khan about pushing (which i felt it was either push down/away or face a butt). Even if he just took 1 point, Khan would've won. The ref got some things wrong and even got tangled with the fighters!

And why did it take so long for the scorecards to come in? sniff-sniff.

I don't even know if he should stick around for a rematch or go to 147. Either way I honestly can't see him holding his own against the best at welterweight.
Old 12 December 2011, 12:59 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

When I see Mohammed Ali I am thankful I never took it up.

Les
Old 12 December 2011, 02:04 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I think his main problem is that he hasn't got a big punch.

He can box and has really quick hands but he does not have a single big shot and as a result people can walk through him if he does not work behind his jab and keep on the move....which is hard to do for 12 rounds.

When put under pressure he either starts to fall apart a little or makes a decision to try to out macho the other guy.

His chin isn't great (Peterson isn't a banger) but it's not the worst out there.

I don't really like his attitude but he is one of the best in the world at his weight...but he will always be short against the really top level fighters.