Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Military helicopters, buzzing around low.

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2011, 02:40 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military helicopters, buzzing around low.

The last few days I`ve had 2 military helicopters buzzing around doing what only can be described as hide and seek/tag.

They were around earlier and were so low you could see the pilots eye colour, and have just been back now 02:10am. They spend 2-3 mins buzzing around chasing each other and then bugger off.

Thought they were the police chopper till I realised there was 2 of them, and they were going far too fast. They sometimes hover and appear to search, but they soon disappear again.

If they come back during the day and I`m quick enough I`ll get a pic, but just think they are training for something. As my house is under the flightpath of the usual Chinook, and Hercules, and once an Apache, but these are doing something strange.
Old 04 December 2011, 02:48 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

where you based mate been told (but dont know if true) that all the forces are on 4hour notice now to go Iran yet more tax payers money when no ones got any
Old 04 December 2011, 02:51 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonicvr6
where you based mate been told (but dont know if true) that all the forces are on 4hour notice now to go Iran yet more tax payers money when no ones got any
Just outside of Swansea.

Had heard that about Iran, maybe this is training for flying low to get people out/in??
Old 04 December 2011, 02:56 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

but we got to fit the bill for all this do you know how much it cost's to send one of them up in the air ALLOT
Old 04 December 2011, 02:59 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they were all on a 4 hour notice they would all be sitting at an RAF base with their kit
The RAF train for low level flying just like everyone else, they dont really need that "extra" practice, they get enough in the combat situations they fly now.
Its probably a training exercise or pilot training, and anyway, we have seen how modern warfare goes, big planes blow the crap out of stuff first before any ground troops go in.

Tony
Old 04 December 2011, 03:09 AM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
If they were all on a 4 hour notice they would all be sitting at an RAF base with their kit
The RAF train for low level flying just like everyone else, they dont really need that "extra" practice, they get enough in the combat situations they fly now.
Its probably a training exercise or pilot training, and anyway, we have seen how modern warfare goes, big planes blow the crap out of stuff first before any ground troops go in.

Tony
Not always the case...
Old 04 December 2011, 03:20 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

i grow up on RAF base's around the world as my grandad who raised me was in the RAF strange thing is didn't see him in a uniform till the day he retired and he will not tell me why that was or what he did but he did get called back in about 3 years after he left as a consultant but thats all i know and he thinks we're going to be fighting a 3rn war very soon
Old 04 December 2011, 03:35 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by -Nic-
Not always the case...
I use to be spearhead for the British Army the only people who wouldnt be in this situation would be SF, anything green would be sitting on the tarmac getting all the load manifests sorted on 4 hours notice to move (I was hit with a 24hr notice for Rwanda, at 12 hours they were off to Brize, at 4 hours they were loaded and waiting to go), unfortunately they took someone else, not a happy bunny
Instead they sent me to Bosnia

Tony
Old 04 December 2011, 03:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I really dont think we will be invading a country with over 1,000,000 troops with a few thousand, not a bright idea

Tony
Old 04 December 2011, 03:53 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Damn didnt work, but look up on facebook, 30 sig regt on a swan, past and present, look through the photo's, page 9, the "announcement"

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 04 December 2011 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04 December 2011, 04:57 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

like they will think about that there's oil there mate thats all they care about even though we'd all be better off on bio-fuel
Old 04 December 2011, 09:56 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonicvr6
yet more tax payers money when no ones got any
I'm not sure war costs that much anyway. I mean, these people will get paid anyway. They will also play at war with planes and helicopters as well, and that's not free.
Old 04 December 2011, 10:02 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really dont think we will be invading a country with over 1,000,000 troops with a few thousand, not a bright idea

Tony
Now that would be a crazy idea,wouldn't it

I'm optimistic
Old 04 December 2011, 10:21 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I'm not sure war costs that much anyway. I mean, these people will get paid anyway. They will also play at war with planes and helicopters as well, and that's not free.
You need to factor in the cost of the munitions
Old 04 December 2011, 10:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Plus the deaths..............
Old 04 December 2011, 10:41 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Damn didnt work, but look up on facebook, 30 sig regt on a swan, past and present, look through the photo's, page 9, the "announcement"

Tony
It's a closed group Tony, but I know quite a few of the guys in the regt as 256 are my assigned sigs sqn at the moment
Old 04 December 2011, 10:44 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by davyboy
War costs billions and comes from a war reserve that is replenished by tax payers money - in peace time the military do what is necessary to maintain skills and capability, once we go to war the ante is upped and just look at the amount of extra kit that has been delivered to Afghanistan to deal with evolving threats - it's not cheap
Old 04 December 2011, 10:49 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

To go back to the choppers they are probably looking for a place to land to come and talk to you Jimbob.

They know you are on Scoobynet and as the last week has proved SN NSR is where all the country's militray intelligence re. the impending Iran invasion is being published so they will want to ask you what you know and what they are to do next
Old 04 December 2011, 11:12 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

coffee / keyboard moment
Old 04 December 2011, 12:44 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Tony
How many troops have we got?
Old 04 December 2011, 12:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
How many troops have we got?
Less than 100000 in the Army, and less than 40000 each for the Navy and Air Force with approx 10000 permanently committed to Afghanistan and others in the Falklands, Broader Middle East and other smaller overseas deployments
Old 04 December 2011, 01:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jimbob
The last few days I`ve had 2 military helicopters buzzing around doing what only can be described as hide and seek/tag.

They were around earlier and were so low you could see the pilots eye colour, and have just been back now 02:10am. They spend 2-3 mins buzzing around chasing each other and then bugger off.

Thought they were the police chopper till I realised there was 2 of them, and they were going far too fast. They sometimes hover and appear to search, but they soon disappear again.

If they come back during the day and I`m quick enough I`ll get a pic, but just think they are training for something. As my house is under the flightpath of the usual Chinook, and Hercules, and once an Apache, but these are doing something strange.
I bet they have got your number and they are checking you out!

Les
Old 04 December 2011, 01:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
To go back to the choppers they are probably looking for a place to land to come and talk to you Jimbob.

They know you are on Scoobynet and as the last week has proved SN NSR is where all the country's militray intelligence re. the impending Iran invasion is being published so they will want to ask you what you know and what they are to do next
Old 04 December 2011, 01:15 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Billy Liar used to "get it off" by sending our troops to some war or other and getting so many of them killed. Wonder if this lot are the same!

Orwell regarded it as an essential act!

Les
Old 04 December 2011, 03:08 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Leslie
Billy Liar used to "get it off" by sending our troops to some war or other and getting so many of them killed. Wonder if this lot are the same!

Orwell regarded it as an essential act!

Les
Can I assume you mean that the fictional bureaucracy supporting the entity Orwell created used the slogan war is peace as a rhetorical device to control the Proles, Les? The mouth-breathers are clearly baffled enough.
Old 04 December 2011, 03:22 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Less than 100000 in the Army, and less than 40000 each for the Navy and Air Force with approx 10000 permanently committed to Afghanistan and others in the Falklands, Broader Middle East and other smaller overseas deployments
Why have we got so little, i thought we had one of the greater army forces as a nation?
Old 04 December 2011, 03:45 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Large field behind me, or if they dropped a rope/winchman I`ll go lol.

Originally Posted by Leslie
I bet they have got your number and they are checking you out!

Les
Lol, they more than welcome to knock on my door lol.
Old 04 December 2011, 03:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
Why have we got so little, i thought we had one of the greater army forces as a nation?
Great quality due to tradition, but we're only a small island, and one without the strategic and economic power we once had. Still one of the highest defence spenders in the world though.
Old 04 December 2011, 07:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
It's a closed group Tony, but I know quite a few of the guys in the regt as 256 are my assigned sigs sqn at the moment
I was 258, luckily I avoided being posted to 256, though it was close and they were going to put me in Bravo troop

I've typed it up, its from just before the first gulf war kicked off

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM 30 SIGS

The men of 30 Sigs Regt would like it to be clearly announced, recorded and understood by all concerned that it was 30 Sigs personnel who were the first army types to be deployed in this theatre and not. as erroneously reported in some of the UK national press, the chaps from 7th Armd. 30 Sigs personnel, being a modern bunch at the sharp end of technology, appreciate fully that their own kit lacks the glamour and macho appeal that gladdens the uneducated eye and fully sympathises with the tankies in their thirst for a share of the limelight. However, and purely in the interests of historical accuracy, they feel compelled to point out that, sad though it may be for the Image of the average tankdriver, the Signallers got here first. Should the tankies wish to ensure that they come in the first 3 in future races to the trouble spots of the world, the Signallers may be able to accept the attachment of a tank or two.
Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 04 December 2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04 December 2011, 07:35 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

It was myself, an RAF Comms Engineer and a Royal Navy loggie that sat at the airport in Tripoli with the Embassy staff and spear-headed the evacuation of UK nationals from Libya; after that I sat in the international evacuation coordination cell as 2 i/c to a Signals Lt Col - it's not all about the warriors gods is it

Quick Reply: Military helicopters, buzzing around low.