Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2011, 09:35 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Screwdrivers, dip yer bread!

At Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...se-11pcs/87073

Good quality, excellent price.

All the screwdrivers most of us would need supplied in a strong hinged case.

If ordered by post, unles the order is over £40 you will incur postage costs.
Old 01 December 2011, 09:49 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you're a Screwfix devotee, but for an unbranded set, i'm saying that's a competitive price, not an excellent price. Call me a snob, but i'd rather pay up for Draper, Stanley etc.
Old 01 December 2011, 09:51 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I had some forge steel files they were crap, 2 actually snapped as they were being used.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:06 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TelBoy
I know you're a Screwfix devotee, but for an unbranded set, i'm saying that's a competitive price, not an excellent price. Call me a snob, but i'd rather pay up for Draper, Stanley etc.
These makes are not what they were either
Old 01 December 2011, 10:11 AM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

With 23k posts you are an ingrained part of the community. That being the case, I think its only fair you are up front about affiliate linking.

IMHO.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:35 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I got a set free from Halfords a few years ago with some oil, they have been great.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:39 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Halfords Professional are superb. Snap-on quality. All my sockets are HP.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:49 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thank but I'll stick with my facom's
Old 01 December 2011, 11:27 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
I had some forge steel files they were crap, 2 actually snapped as they were being used.
Also bought a big set of these from Screwfix some time ago as they appeared to be incredibly good value and yes they are pretty cr*p. Wouldn't buy them again.
Old 01 December 2011, 11:44 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt forged metal rather soft though, great for golf clubs (Yes, im a golfer....) but not for tools.
Old 01 December 2011, 11:44 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I'm after a square head screwdriver, is there such a thing ? I found alot of square head screw's when clearing out the shed whilst moving house and haven't been able to use them. I've looked in Homebase and B&Q and on Screwfox and a few other website but can't find one anywhere.

Does such a thing exist ? I've even looked for a square screw head socket but can't find one either.

windyboy
Old 01 December 2011, 03:24 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You are more likely to get a HEAD for one, so maybe buy one of those screwdrivers with interchangeable heads.

The Screwfix ones above weren't meant to be for SERIOUS use, I put them up there for people who never HAVE a screwdriver, if they get this set, they will have every one they need, cheap.

And I've used Forge Steel stuff and it's fine.
Old 01 December 2011, 04:57 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
With 23k posts you are an ingrained part of the community. That being the case, I think its only fair you are up front about affiliate linking.

IMHO.
You might want to retract that and apologise .... the affiliate linking is generated by SN like most forums so they can get extra revenue. Below is his link in the code box, copy and paste it into a browser and no affiliate link.

Code:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-screwdriver-set-with-case-11pcs/87073
Use this hyperlink below and SN will affliate link it

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...se-11pcs/87073
Old 01 December 2011, 05:28 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

I apologise and retract.

I was unaware that forums auto-affiliate linked in this manner and assumed OP embedded the link himself.
Old 01 December 2011, 06:03 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Thats the first time i have heard Draper and snob in the same sentence..

It has to be said that Facom and Snap on make brilliant screwdrivers.. Buy them once and they will outlive you..
Old 01 December 2011, 06:09 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
I got a set free from Halfords a few years ago with some oil, they have been great.
I got some halfords ones a few years back and they are still going strong
Old 01 December 2011, 07:20 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
I apologise and retract.

I was unaware that forums auto-affiliate linked in this manner and assumed OP embedded the link himself.
I don't blame you, SN is riddled with scripts, from clickjacking, finding out your current location and trying to tie your account with other online services.

Talking of screwfix, I bought these yesterday...

Reduced from £34 to £12. The screwdrivers are average, but and I **** you not, the three pliers are as good as CK or NWS. They look a bit different to the picture, they are actually black lacquered at the working end.
Old 01 December 2011, 07:36 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
I'm after a square head screwdriver, is there such a thing ? I found alot of square head screw's when clearing out the shed whilst moving house and haven't been able to use them. I've looked in Homebase and B&Q and on Screwfox and a few other website but can't find one anywhere.

Does such a thing exist ? I've even looked for a square screw head socket but can't find one either.

windyboy
You are looking for Scrulox bits. Screwfix only stock two sizes..

Old 01 December 2011, 07:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I don't blame you, SN is riddled with scripts, from clickjacking, finding out your current location and trying to tie your account with other online services.

Reduced from £34 to £12. The screwdrivers are average, but and I **** you not, the three pliers are as good as CK or NWS. They look a bit different to the picture, they are actually black lacquered at the working end.
That's a hell of a set for £12, I have similar for electrical work over in France, also bought at Screwfix, I'll look for the set you bought tomorrow for here in the UK.

As I said, maybe NOT for the professional, but mine over there is still going strong.
Old 01 December 2011, 07:51 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

That's a hell of a set for £12, I have similar for electrical work over in France, also bought at Screwfix, I'll look for the set you bought tomorrow for here in the UK.

As I said, maybe NOT for the professional, but mine over there is still going strong.

Damn, just checked, your set is back to £34.99
Old 01 December 2011, 07:59 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Halfords Professional are superb. Snap-on quality. All my sockets are HP.
Im not sure that theyre 'Snap-On qulaity' Tel, but theyre bloody good for the money.

Coincidentally I bought a set of Halfords Advance (replaced 'Professional') screwdrivers this evening: £9:99 down from £19:99. The Trade Card price was about £15 although Id hoped that theyd be a little cheaper than their offer price, but that wasnt the case in this instance (the £199:99 socket set thats regularly reduced to £99:99 will be about £85 using a Trade Card, irrespective of its promotional price).

The screwdrivers average out at £1:25 each theyre guaranteed for life - hard to fault. Screwfix seem to sell tat, for the most part...

Simon
Old 01 December 2011, 08:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

Krapp, could have done with some pliers
Old 01 December 2011, 08:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Im not sure that theyre 'Snap-On qulaity' Tel, but theyre bloody good for the money.

Coincidentally I bought a set of Halfords Advance (replaced 'Professional') screwdrivers this evening: £9:99 down from £19:99. The Trade Card price was about £15 although Id hoped that theyd be a little cheaper than their offer price, but that wasnt the case in this instance (the £199:99 socket set thats regularly reduced to £99:99 will be about £85 using a Trade Card, irrespective of its promotional price).

The screwdrivers average out at £1:25 each theyre guaranteed for life - hard to fault. Screwfix seem to sell tat, for the most part...

Simon
If it's the 8 set of 4 each, I've got a set too Simon. One broke once, took it back and guy brought me a "used" one but it's not broken since. At my local Hellfords there's a camp lad working there, bit of an attitude - a queen if you will. Wanted to see my receipt even though original packaging was present and "Halfords Advanced" was written on the bloody handles Ignored him and spoke with the person next to him - as above, straight swap no arguments.

Little victories

P.S. I want one of those big socket sets for Xmas, Jeff
Old 01 December 2011, 10:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I was told by the store manager that they dont need to see the receipt, but I doubt that I will be able to get that on a company letterhead.
Old 01 December 2011, 10:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
Mmmh, I bought the 150piece kit a few weeks ago and it worked out more expensive with the tradecard than the website promo offer of 99.95. Either way at 100notes, it has been an exceptional buy.

I also bought the exact same screwdrivers yesterday as I went in for some 3ton axel stands and I really couldn't resist them for a tenner!
Old 02 December 2011, 01:34 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

My prices were correct in August 2008, they may well have changed since. That may be why the Trade Card price was £15-odd when the promoted price was £10. The TC price always used to be cheaper than any advertised offer, but maybe thats changed now?

Made in Germany, if youd noticed?
Old 02 December 2011, 05:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I just dont seam to break screwdrivers anymore, maybe its because as ive grown a little older/wiser, i have stopped using them for anything apart from proper screwdriver duties

I dont know anybody who has slated the Halfords professional socket set, i keep meaning to pick one up myself as i lost a lot of my tools when i closed the car wash buisness.

I think the only Halfords professional part that people slated was the breaker bar, and i think its the only part now not covered under the lifetime warrenty.

I needed a breaker bar a few months back for a CV joint on the MG, so rather than pay the extra for the Halfords model, i simply went for IIRC a super long Sealy model that you can replace the head if it snaps, it worked a treat and saved me a bit of cash, if it broke, i was going to replace the head and sell it on
Old 02 December 2011, 11:40 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

You are looking for Scrulox bits. Screwfix only stock two sizes..

thanks very much, I'll go and look now

windyboy
Old 02 December 2011, 01:03 PM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

I had some of the forge steel hex keys in a moulded case for use on the bikes.. Think they were about £25 for a full set of Torx and Hex T handled drivers..

The heads broke off three of them on the first use... Utter crap !

I wouldn't buy any forge steel branded tools again.. I'll stick to halfords and park tools.
Old 02 December 2011, 01:50 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Still £11.99 mate, they are not the Forge Steel ones..

http://www.screwfix.com/p/1000v-test...-set-8pc/27978

I can post some better pics if you want, well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Screwdrivers, dip yer bread!