CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucky escape
Old 23 November 2011, 09:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been doing the rounds this, I put it on Pistonheads, it is scary riding a bike, I got overtaken by a Ranger Rover tonight on a country road, swear it was doing about 80 and overtook me a metre or so away, well lit and visible but left that amount of distance, certain death for me and I suspect he or she would have fooked off sharpish.
Old 23 November 2011, 09:51 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I watched it until the very first thing he said was 'got you on camera, got your insurance details' and that is as far as I can be bothered with....it's awful that he got knocked down, but I am sick of seeing these helmet cam videos.... there is a psychology at work with people who wear them to be frank!

I know this post won't be popular, but I have never worried about that before!
Old 23 November 2011, 10:28 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

I am a cyclist and have for many years ridden a motorcycle as well, I feel that the new generation of urban cyclists really need to wise up and think about how they are riding. It seems that many are just hell bent on maintaining momentum at the expense of being a little more cautious.

We all know that having to slow down on a bike is a pain because of the effort it takes to get back up to speed again, but they have to realise that they just don’t have the same road presence as bigger vehicles and as such are not as visible.

Looking at the amount of traffic movements going on around that junction in the video, I would have been riding a bit more cautiously whether on a bike or a motorbike. As far as I could see the cyclist did not slow down and whilst the car driver was clearly in the wrong the cyclist had not assessed the potential dangers ahead. I suppose many cyclists now think that helmet cam is a better alternative to defensive riding.
Old 23 November 2011, 10:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
I am a cyclist and have for many years ridden a motorcycle as well, I feel that the new generation of urban cyclists really need to wise up and think about how they are riding. It seems that many are just hell bent on maintaining momentum at the expense of being a little more cautious.

We all know that having to slow down on a bike is a pain because of the effort it takes to get back up to speed again, but they have to realise that they just don’t have the same road presence as bigger vehicles and as such are not as visible.

Looking at the amount of traffic movements going on around that junction in the video, I would have been riding a bit more cautiously whether on a bike or a motorbike. As far as I could see the cyclist did not slow down and whilst the car driver was clearly in the wrong the cyclist had not assessed the potential dangers ahead. I suppose many cyclists now think that helmet cam is a better alternative to defensive riding.
What an excellent post
Old 23 November 2011, 10:49 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

looking at his videos, seems like another ***** that thinks the world belongs to him
Old 23 November 2011, 11:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree there may be an element of that, and momentum is hard won but you wouldn't make any progress if you spent all your time trying to mitigate some cretin who, in full view turns across you and then some daft bint who it happens directly in front of and still doesn't see, there is an element of drivers maintaining momentum in this clip as well, so perhaps it should be all road users should favour safety over keeping moving ?
Old 23 November 2011, 11:26 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Can`t be doing with his voice, he sounds like a spacktard!
Old 24 November 2011, 12:43 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I only watched part, as it was too long and I was doing other stuff.
Other than that, I find the attitude of some motorists to cyclists is a bloody joke.
Yesterday, I was aproaching a left turn. I had a lady cyclist in front of me, with "saddle bags". She was quite wide, (not her hips), the stuff she had attached to the rear of her cycle. I knew I was turning left real soon and there was an island, close the the turn.
This AR$E in a pug, was right on my tail, as usual. I slowed right down to let the lady pass my turn, as she was going straight on, and the cheeky git in the pug, parped at me.
He got the length of my finger.
He then went on his merry way, and nearly took the poor lass off her bike when he overtook her, as he sped up.
I was so close to following him and giving him a smack in the face, the ignorant pig
Old 24 November 2011, 07:14 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Well said

PS Will not visit this thread again as we all know it will turn out
Old 24 November 2011, 07:41 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Usual bike v car issues here. I wouldn't want to be riding in London!
Old 24 November 2011, 08:07 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

The overarching impression the footage left me with is that, contrary to long held beliefs and principles, there are occasions when violence towards women can be justified. Her indignant squealing hurt my soul.
Old 24 November 2011, 08:27 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

He did seem to want to be a victim in some of his videos.

However, I am still shocked at the levels of driving standards around cyclists.....yet horse riders never seem to suffer such levels of anger and hatred.
Old 24 November 2011, 09:25 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
The overarching impression the footage left me with is that, contrary to long held beliefs and principles, there are occasions when violence towards women can be justified. Her indignant squealing hurt my soul.
Here's another one, agree with your sentiments!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ex6d...layer_embedded
Old 24 November 2011, 10:01 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I'm glad they did what they did as they would of got away with it.

But who in the right mind goes round driving following people's bad driving.
Old 24 November 2011, 10:08 AM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

You have to wonder about some people.

Why should it matter that she is using loads of fuel accelerating and braking?

Also at 2.06/2.07 a guy peels off into a side road in what I swear is the wrong side of the road.

Bad driving happens where ever those guys are.
Old 24 November 2011, 10:13 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Especially in Birmingham , it's terrible
Old 24 November 2011, 10:18 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

A man cycling along a road (with his lights on, allegedly) gets knocked down by a car turning in front of him then, while he's on the ground gets his foot run over by another car.

And it's his, the victim's fault, ... or partly or mostly his fault??

There's something seriously wrong with some of you.
Old 24 November 2011, 10:49 AM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s his fault the driver was obviously to blame. The suggestion is that as a particularly vulnerable road user you need to take more precautions for your own safety. Anyone on two wheels involved in an accident with a larger vehicle is always going to come off worse.

Helmet cam technology will most likely help with claims for liability, compensation or gain youtube kudos, but at the end of the day it’s still the cyclist lying in the gutter.
Old 24 November 2011, 10:52 AM
jef
Scooby Regular

ouch to o.p video,

and shocking bit of driving imo.

broad daylight, just not looking properly
Old 24 November 2011, 10:54 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
A man cycling along a road (with his lights on, allegedly) gets knocked down by a car turning in front of him then, while he's on the ground gets his foot run over by another car.

Can I suggest you read into the comments a little better?

For me, if I were in his position i'd have been braking approaching that junction:

A) He's carrying some speed, and thus, momentum.
B) 2 cars have already pulled across and entered the side road in front of him, and the third (which hits him) is still moving.

Now, tell me in that situation, in a car, you wouldn't have AT LEAST let off the accelerator? Maybe even slowed slightly using the foot brake?

Now, given that the bloke is on a bike, with all but a piece of hard foam and plastic covering the top of his head, is either a little bit daft, or a hard *******.
Old 24 November 2011, 11:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TinyTim

For me, if I were in his position i'd have been braking approaching that junction:

B) 2 cars have already pulled across and entered the side road in front of him, and the third (which hits him) is still moving.

Now, tell me in that situation, in a car, you wouldn't have AT LEAST let off the accelerator? Maybe even slowed slightly using the foot brake?

Now, given that the bloke is on a bike, with all but a piece of hard foam and plastic covering the top of his head, is either a little bit daft, or a hard *******.
I have lost count how many times I have had to either slow down or swerve to avoid a cyclist.
Why they can't do the same for cars is beyond me.
Trust me, you WILL lose.

The woman in the video was clearly at fault, but the cyclist easily had enough time to slow down or avoid.
Old 24 November 2011, 11:21 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Of course it was HIS fault.... he dared to ride a bike on a public highway and doesn't even pay road tax!
Old 24 November 2011, 11:26 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TinyTim

See what I mean?
Old 24 November 2011, 11:32 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I have lost count how many times I have had to either slow down or swerve to avoid a cyclist
I have lost count how many times I have had to either slow down or swerve to avoid a car.
Old 24 November 2011, 11:39 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

11 mins worth of film that could have been dealt with in 1 min. Im not getting involved because I'm sure I had a ding dong on here about a year ago with the cycle apologists.

Im oot.
Old 24 November 2011, 11:41 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

See what I mean?
Not really, no - is there a language barrier here or something?
Old 24 November 2011, 11:42 AM
TinyTim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
I have lost count how many times I have had to either slow down or swerve to avoid a car.
Probably worth getting some insurance then.

Oh, and some tax whilst you're at it
Old 24 November 2011, 11:53 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

http://youtu.be/QSiBVTtrS1w

Just thought I'd add this one for the entertainment of all who frequent scoobynet. Reading out number plates to himself, he ought to concentrate on the road.

Quick Reply: Cyclist and Car (s)