Asda Price Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2011, 11:25 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asda Price Guarantee

Anyone tried this?

I normally shop at Tesco (yes I know most of you go to Waitrose/ organic farmer's markets/ Harrod's food hall but Tesco is literally five minutes away) however had to drop my car off for an MOT and Asda close to the garage.

I hated the experience but was given £7 of vouchers plus shopping was £7 cheaper than Tesco. Went back the next week and same again but this time got £8 in vouchers, last week it went up to £10 in vouchers..
...Asda is a hell-hole though
(not saying they all are but this one is)

I'm debating if it's worth going to save money and putting up with the crap or pay more and have a smoother shop.

Be interesting to know if Tesco have noticed a difference in customer numbers whilst Asda are running the current promotion and I've just read that some people trawl Asda car-park and trolley bays looking for discarded receipts to try and get more vouchers.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:06 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'm sorry?
You have a car that's at least 3 years old?

How quaint.

Old 02 November 2011, 12:09 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Waitrose...invented to keep the proles out of Booths

Steve
Old 02 November 2011, 12:34 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
I'm sorry?
You have a car that's at least 3 years old?

How quaint.

Shocking isn't it , the neighbours must be sneering at me.
Old 02 November 2011, 12:37 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve vRS
Waitrose...invented to keep the proles out of Booths

Steve
We don't have a Waitrose or a Booths round here, I think the nearest Waitrose is about fifty minutes away and would cost £6 in bridge fees.
In fact I've never set foot in either of them, I've been in Farmfoods though does that count?
Old 02 November 2011, 12:40 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends how important it is to you to save money. Only you know that. And in what way the 'experience' was so bad in comparison to Tesco etc.

Personally I shop around between the places that I save the most, that doesn't cost more in fuel than the savings I make. Generally, the main shop is done at Asda, toiletries/cleaning stuff etc. I tend to buy from work as the prices are good plus discount on top, some bits I get from Tesco as it is a couple of minutes from work and the odd few things from Aldi as it's quite close to home. No offence to you here, but I'm not too snobby (or well off for that matter) to shop at the places where I can get a better deal. Fair play if people want to pay more for the same goods just because they look down on others and don't want to shop with them, it's their choice/right, but I would rather save a few quid.

Plus, I work in a shop, (probably a one many on here wouldn't be seen in) so no shopping experience for me is an enjoyment. It doesn't matter where I go, it's not pleasant. I just want to go in, get what I want as quickly as possible and go home. Saving money is very important to me, like I said earlier, you need to decide what is most important to you.
Old 02 November 2011, 01:19 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Depends how important it is to you to save money. Only you know that. And in what way the 'experience' was so bad in comparison to Tesco etc.

Personally I shop around between the places that I save the most, that doesn't cost more in fuel than the savings I make. Generally, the main shop is done at Asda, toiletries/cleaning stuff etc. I tend to buy from work as the prices are good plus discount on top, some bits I get from Tesco as it is a couple of minutes from work and the odd few things from Aldi as it's quite close to home. No offence to you here, but I'm not too snobby (or well off for that matter) to shop at the places where I can get a better deal. Fair play if people want to pay more for the same goods just because they look down on others and don't want to shop with them, it's their choice/right, but I would rather save a few quid.

Plus, I work in a shop, (probably a one many on here wouldn't be seen in) so no shopping experience for me is an enjoyment. It doesn't matter where I go, it's not pleasant. I just want to go in, get what I want as quickly as possible and go home. Saving money is very important to me, like I said earlier, you need to decide what is most important to you.
Good points Lisa. Thing is there are some on here who can afford to and do shop at the more expensive places. This may either be to inform others of their choices (strange), because they like a more chilled out shop away from the supposed Asda etc 'underclasses' or they don't mind wasting money on the same stuff. Sad thing is a couple members use it as means to gloat, troll or wind the less well off on here using astounding arrogance. Members who've been here many years with the same sh1tty attitude.

Me, I shop at Asda, not afraid/ashamed to say and get a good shop for me and my family for a fraction those same members aforementioned above pay put for the bragging rights. It's food shopping so for me yeah it's worth saving the equivalent of a pack of nappies/milk formula.
Old 02 November 2011, 01:28 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Asda is in quite a bad area, I used to live nearby and worked in three different jobs there too so know it very well. Officially one of the most deprived parts of the country so I'm not being a snob about it (I know you didn't say I was), I'm wondering if that is what makes such a difference. Tesco is on the outskirts of town and nothing else next to it so people are only going there for that one shop if that makes sense.

Asda before you even get in the shop you have to try and get past the massive queue for the taxi rank, no one will move out of the way for you, then there are always people asking you for a ciggy or to 'lend' them 20p. I know my SIL won't set foot in the shop because she finds all the people outside so intimidating.
Tesco you just get straight inside, nice big wide aisles, lots of space at the checkouts etc. Apart from the normal busy-ness of a shop it's pretty quiet.

Asda very noisy, lots of swearing, people screaming at their kids, very hard to get past people in the aisles, really cluttered.

It's not because I am looking down on others, I just noticed that I seemed to be gritting my teeth more IYKWIM.

I worked for two supermarkets (Netto and Morrison's) so I don't know if I am looking at things from a professional point of view rather than just as a customer and am very good at knowing how much things cost and remembering prices in different places.

I just wondered if people had changed their shopping habits due to the recession and if anyone else had done the Asda price guarantee, it's quite addictive checking the website to see if I can have any vouchers
Old 02 November 2011, 01:38 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thing is there are some on here who can afford to and do shop at the more expensive places. This may either be to inform others of their choices (strange), because they like a more chilled out shop away from the supposed Asda etc 'underclasses' or they don't mind wasting money on the same stuff. Sad thing is a couple members use it as means to gloat, troll or wind the less well off on here using astounding arrogance. Members who've been here many years with the same sh1tty attitude.
Really?

FWIW I've been to Asda in Scunthorpe quite a few times and it's not as bad as the one I'm talking about.
Old 02 November 2011, 08:45 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

There are 2 Asda's within about 6 miles of us and both are nice places,very fresh and modern..

My mum lives closely to the biggest Asda in Europe (i think) close to Many City's football stadium and i have been in there,and its very nice(apart from some of the customers)..

I did visit one in Birmingham a few times(not sure of the area) and it was a complete sh!thole,hard to believe that they are the same supermarket... They place was piled high with boxes and was scruffy and dirty..

On the whole we dont use either Asda or Tesco(lets not get into Tesco ethics),but mainly use Morrisons.
Not sure if you have one near you,but worth a try if you do..
Old 02 November 2011, 09:57 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Our Tesco was recently upgraded, you now cant get 2 trolleys side by side down a aisle, the Asda is brand new and huge, Morrisions is a ex Safeway and is hanging, the Sainsbury`s is tiny the same as the nearest M&S and carry very little stock or options,
I see the same kind of people in them all, or maybe Im just not judging them by where they shop.
Old 02 November 2011, 10:11 AM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

We used to shop at Morrisons, but now go to asda as we save about 20-30 quid a week on a normal shop. I must say though, Asda is full of rough heads - Just the way it is, but for the savings we make its worth it - we just go early to avoid the riff raff, as most of the p1ss cans aren't up before 10
Old 02 November 2011, 11:01 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I use Waitrose online, the thought of having to actually walk around a food hall seems rather disturbing... and as for being paid by the retailer to do so (in vouchers) just seems completely vulgar!
Old 02 November 2011, 11:09 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Therer are the three big ones in town here:

Sainsburys, full of Eastern European folk, lucky to hear English spoken except at the tills, especially weekdays, when, of course, all those Eastern Europeans are at work an NOT claiming benefits

Tesco, seems full of parents with kids, even weekdays, why don't the twag-men and twag-women go down there?
Also the staff are singularly unhelpful, Tesco customer care by far the worst I've had in this country

Asda.........awful, over-crowded, full of chavs, noisy kids, and ignorant parents, usually young, shouting foul abuse atheir offspring. To be avoided.

We also have a Morrisons, but it tends to be more difficult to get round and is dreary inside, having no windows.

As for checkout girls, Tesco seems to have the best looking ones.

NONE of the above can hold a candle to my local "Trois Mousquetaires" in St Mathieu, France.
Old 02 November 2011, 11:17 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

You'll all be grubbing in the gutter for discarded *** ends next
Old 02 November 2011, 11:20 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lydia72
Really?

FWIW I've been to Asda in Scunthorpe quite a few times and it's not as bad as the one I'm talking about.
Scunthorpes Asda is pretty good actually to say it's an older one right on the edge of Scunny badlands aka Riddings and Westcliffe

We just go on a Thursday afternoon or early Friday, work shifts dependant to avoid the types who are continuously in the way or rude types with several dozen kids and a trolley full of burgers and cola

Wouldn't shop anywhere else. Tried Tesco and did our heads in trying to find stuff with a screaming baby. Morrisons was much more expensive, about £20 for a fortnightly shop! So food shop at Asda and we get baby related stuff like clothes, food, nappies from Tesco 'cos of the Clubcard points. Also started picking up clothes for Isaac from Sainsburys as the quality is excellent and not a rip off like Next etc. But yeah Asda is cheapest and most convenient for us so worth the savings
Old 02 November 2011, 11:23 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Therer are the three big ones in town here:

Sainsburys, full of Eastern European folk, lucky to hear English spoken except at the tills, especially weekdays, when, of course, all those Eastern Europeans are at work an NOT claiming benefits

Tesco, seems full of parents with kids, even weekdays, why don't the twag-men and twag-women go down there?
Also the staff are singularly unhelpful, Tesco customer care by far the worst I've had in this country

Asda.........awful, over-crowded, full of chavs, noisy kids, and ignorant parents, usually young, shouting foul abuse atheir offspring. To be avoided.

We also have a Morrisons, but it tends to be more difficult to get round and is dreary inside, having no windows.

NONE of the above can hold a candle to my local "Trois Mousquetaires" in St Mathieu, France.
Right next time you swear in front of Isaac I'll pick you up on that you chav

And before you ask 2-10 6-2 quick turnaround today so not sliving sir
Old 02 November 2011, 11:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't shop anywhere else. Tried Tesco and did our heads in trying to find stuff with a screaming baby.
Why would anyone want to buy stuff that had a screaming baby with it?
Old 02 November 2011, 11:25 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Why would anyone want to buy stuff that had a screaming baby with it?
Never lose it do you?? That killer sense of humour
Old 02 November 2011, 11:27 AM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Havent set foot in a Supermarket for 12months now - use Tesco Online.

The deliverys are always bang on time, the drivers are extremely helpful & courteous, haven't had a bad one yet.
Get very few subsitutions, and if we do they are usually better than what we ordered.
You can start an order and add to it all week, right up until 8pm the night before, arrives 10am next day
Maybe we just have a 'good 'un' - We're in Shropshire.

Its the way forwards.
Old 02 November 2011, 11:38 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

From what I have heard, most seem to be demi-mongs. They must recruit from same swamp as Halfords..
Old 02 November 2011, 11:45 AM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Scunthorpes Asda is pretty good actually to say it's an older one right on the edge of Scunny badlands aka Riddings and Westcliffe
I don't know the bad areas of Scunthorpe, I just know where the shops are
MIL lives in Gainsborough so we sometimes take her for a drive to the garden centres and she likes going in Asda because they don't have one at Gainsbo.
Plus I did part of my training in Scunthorpe Morrison's so am familiar with that.

I noticed the other week they have smartened up near The Range (Skippingdale?), looks a lot better now.

Do you use the price guarantee thing then?
Old 02 November 2011, 01:24 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I don't know the bad areas of Scunthorpe, I just know where the shops are
MIL lives in Gainsborough so we sometimes take her for a drive to the garden centres and she likes going in Asda because they don't have one at Gainsbo.
Plus I did part of my training in Scunthorpe Morrison's so am familiar with that.

I noticed the other week they have smartened up near The Range (Skippingdale?), looks a lot better now.

Do you use the price guarantee thing then?
Matalans has just been relocated from around the corner to me to down Skippingdale. New carpark laid out, quite a bit spent down there on regeneration etc.

We don't really buy much branded stuff unless it's on offer so Tesco etc never come close. We hunt the bargains, hense we can do a fortnightly shop for me, mrs and baby boy for £100ish. Nappies and the odd jar of baby food/other supplies not included, or meat from the butchers
Old 02 November 2011, 01:55 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

To be honest, I don't really care who else uses the super market I go to. I'm surprised anyone actually does!
One way to solve the problem though is to just do your shopping online.
Asda always comes up trumps for us. Quite often, they won't have their own brand stuff in stock, like their Cherry coke for example. So we end up getting proper Coca-Cola Cherry coke delivered for £0.60 a bottle!

Yes, I know fruit and veg can be a bit of a lottery, but in the 12 months we have been having our shopping delivered, we have not had one complaint.

Saves having to deal with all the chav girls walking around in their f&cking pj's!

Going back to the original question, yes, Asda price guarantee is brilliant.
Got vouchers with our last shop and then a £9.00 odd refund when the Mrs did the comparision the next day! What have you got to lose?

Last edited by Gear Head; 02 November 2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02 November 2011, 02:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Anyone tried this?

I normally shop at Tesco (yes I know most of you go to Waitrose/ organic farmer's markets/ Harrod's food hall but Tesco is literally five minutes away) however had to drop my car off for an MOT and Asda close to the garage.

I hated the experience but was given £7 of vouchers plus shopping was £7 cheaper than Tesco. Went back the next week and same again but this time got £8 in vouchers, last week it went up to £10 in vouchers..
...Asda is a hell-hole though
(not saying they all are but this one is)

I'm debating if it's worth going to save money and putting up with the crap or pay more and have a smoother shop.

Be interesting to know if Tesco have noticed a difference in customer numbers whilst Asda are running the current promotion and I've just read that some people trawl Asda car-park and trolley bays looking for discarded receipts to try and get more vouchers.
You give the impression of feeling inferior because of shopping at Tesco!

I wonder why?

I don't find Waitrose to be any superior to the others anyway.

Les
Old 02 November 2011, 02:16 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You give the impression of feeling inferior because of shopping at Tesco!

I wonder why?

Les
You can't win in this place Les.

I honestly could not give a shiny sh1te where people want to shop, I don't feel inferior or superior to anyone based on where they get their baked beans.

Now feeling quite bemused to be honest

FWIW according to the PG website this morning my Asda shopping yesterday would have cost me £12 more at Tesco, but only £5 more had I gone to Waitrose (which we don't have locally).
Old 02 November 2011, 02:19 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head

Going back to the original question, yes, Asda price guarantee is brilliant.
Got vouchers with our last shop and then a £9.00 odd refund when the Mrs did the comparision the next day! What have you got to lose?
thanks for answering my question was beginning to think I had dreamt the APG website.
Old 02 November 2011, 03:01 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Oh, you are inferior for not shopping at Waitrose.......as am I!

(Or that is what everyone on here wants you to believe!)
Old 02 November 2011, 06:18 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

What's Waitrose? We don't have one in Scumthorpe.
Old 02 November 2011, 07:14 PM
Silver Angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
There are 2 Asda's within about 6 miles of us and both are nice places,very fresh and modern..

My mum lives closely to the biggest Asda in Europe (i think) close to Many City's football stadium and i have been in there,and its very nice(apart from some of the customers)..
Me n the hubby visited this one a while ago we only got half way round it when he dragged me out he had had enough it was too big and full of wanna be WAGS who couldnt drive their posh cars around the carpark

Quick Reply: Asda Price Guarantee