Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eventful night - baby has Croup...

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2011, 09:43 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Eventful night - baby has Croup...

Ahhh the joys of parenthood, at work after at best 3.5 hours of broken sleep.

Got woken at 12:30am by the missus as our six month old boy is making a funny barking noise and seems like he has difficulty breathing. The missus is already panicking at this stage but I'm trying to be subjective and figure out if he has swallowed something or is choking on his own drool or some such thing. Then trying to decide whether to drive him straight to A&E (less than 10 mins) or dial 999. In the end to placate the wife I call 999, hats off to them, pretty much finish the conversation on the phone and the paramedic is ringing the front door bell.

Really nice paramedic gives him the once over and our boy is staring to calm down now Nothing to worry about immediately but he says that we did the right thing dialling 999. He thinks it's Croup, never heard of it myself but know more know http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croup

He then says that we should take him to A&E for a proper check up and rings through to let them know we're on our way. Get there, sit around for a bit and see the triage nurse, she confirms the paramedics diagnosis, sit around for another hour or so and finally get to see a doctor who gives him a once over, tells us Croup is a viral infection so nothing they can do about it and sends us back home.

Asleep again just after 4am, woken just after 6am by the boy having another barking fit but this time know we can calm him down, another half an hour sleep and up for work.....

Think Red Bull may be required this afternoon. Kids eh, who'd have 'em.
Old 25 October 2011, 09:52 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Bad luck mate - that is not nice at all!
Old 25 October 2011, 10:13 AM
Cammy5106
Scooby Regular

I hope you child feels better soon mate.

I know how you feel I have a little girl and I worry about her all the time when she is not well..
Old 25 October 2011, 11:00 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

You did the right thing fella and I hope he's feeling better soon. Isaacs just tipped 7 months, and has been teething for 4 1/2 months with nothing to show yet

He's booked in with the docs later as we thing he's getting an ear infection (like used to on every new tooth as a baby). Was up from 6am Sunday all through sun night and till yesterday evening (which included a 6-2 shift Monday morning). I was fcuked!! Really exhausted and took today off after another sh1tty night last night too. I'm 27 and getting wrinkles

Let us know how you get on

Andy
Old 25 October 2011, 11:45 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Fingers crossed he is ok.

Man up Andy, I'm not complaining........yet!
Old 25 October 2011, 11:59 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

He he, sounds pretty harsh Andy. At least you've got the day off to recuperate.

Finley has been teething on and off for a while now and his bottom two front teeth have now cut through. Little beasty knows it too and he is quite happy to test them out on your fingers, ouch

Several of the other Mums from our NCT group recommended this stuff for teething http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/e...teetha/teetha/ It seems to help Finley but it could all just be in the mind. Seems a bit odd at first to be pouring a sachet of white powder into a babies mouth, didn't go as far as rubbing it into his gums

Anyway I think he'll be fine, they say a few days to shake the virus so he might be doing seal barking impressions for a little while yet. He was wolfing down his baby porridge this morning so appetite is as great as ever
Old 25 October 2011, 12:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Steam helps with croup. Boil up a kettle in a small room or run a hot bath to build up steam in the bathroom and igive the kid a lot of cuddles to help soothe him until his cough subsides.

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2011, 12:06 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
Steam helps with croup. Boil up a kettle in a small room or run a hot bath to build up steam in the bathroom and igive the kid a lot of cuddles to help soothe him until his cough subsides.
That's what the paramedic told us too.

Makes sense really, whenever I've had a bad cough steam inhalation has done wonders for it.
Old 25 October 2011, 05:57 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
He he, sounds pretty harsh Andy. At least you've got the day off to recuperate.

Finley has been teething on and off for a while now and his bottom two front teeth have now cut through. Little beasty knows it too and he is quite happy to test them out on your fingers, ouch

Several of the other Mums from our NCT group recommended this stuff for teething http://www.nelsonsnaturalworld.com/e...teetha/teetha/ It seems to help Finley but it could all just be in the mind. Seems a bit odd at first to be pouring a sachet of white powder into a babies mouth, didn't go as far as rubbing it into his gums

Anyway I think he'll be fine, they say a few days to shake the virus so he might be doing seal barking impressions for a little while yet. He was wolfing down his baby porridge this morning so appetite is as great as ever
Aye, got some sleep earlier and then the mrs thought me having a day off was excuse enough to drag me round the Christmas shops

Docs said his ears are fine, just wish he would cut a tooth like Finlay has! Saying that he has ample appetite like your little 'un as he's on 20oz milk, fruit juice and 3 meals a day. Nelsons powder worked for a bit, as did Anbesol but more so seems to use things like gingerbread or cold veg to knaw on. Ah well, glad Finlay is on the mend, my mrs had croup really bad as a baby she told me earlier... Her ******** mums fault that one though
Old 25 October 2011, 11:02 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

croup is awful, ours had it when he was just over 1. We took him A&E and they gave him some steroid medication which opened the airways. They did also suggest steam as well though.
Old 26 October 2011, 12:00 AM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Went through this nightmare scenario with our preemie daughter. Her lips turned blue and couldn't breather properly. **** a brick and dialled 999. Taken into hospital where she recovered. Meanwhile, daddy was given the floor to sleep on!!!!
Old 26 October 2011, 03:00 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Wonder what the odds are on me getting to bed before my 6-2 shift starts in 3 hours

Old 26 October 2011, 09:29 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Finley seems to be a lot better this morning, still a bit gravelly in his breathing and has a cough but definite improvement. Didn't sleep too bad either, few grumbles in the night but just needed some reassurance.

He was suffering a little bit when I got home last night so turned the bathroom into a temporary steam room (shower on full whack) and sat in there with him for 10 minutes. Seemed to help a lot.

CoB - hope you got a couple of hours
Old 26 October 2011, 10:38 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that you had all that problem. Must have been a bit of a frightener.

Glad it is sorted now anyway and I hope he doesn't have a hard time with it again.

Les