Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Traffic Planning Information?

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2011, 10:24 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Traffic Planning Information?

Does anybody know how I would go about finding what my local council are up to, and what the end result will is going to look like, when they are remodelling junctions?
Old 17 October 2011, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I suppose you have to ask the council department responsible for road maintainance. No reason that they should withold the information from you surely.

Les
Old 17 October 2011, 12:19 PM
QM14
Scooby Regular

As above you could try checking there website as well our council displays all the info regarding on site works on there as well as planned works
Old 17 October 2011, 12:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

From experience of remodelled junctions round here; a dogs dinner made up by someone who clearly can't drive.

I should take some pictures of recent jokes done nearby my to what was perfectly good roads:

One; is a widening of a footpath, in turn narrowing the road and forcing cars onto the wrong side of the road when exiting a mini roundabout!

Two; narrowing a junction to stop people turning right, only to make it so narrow that any large truck or van has to mount the curb to pull out.

Three; fitting pedestrian protection kerb stones and knee-hieght railings on a railway bridge which the sloped sections situatated in suh a position that if a car DID understeer towards the curb, it would mount the curb and be catapulted by the sloped section where the new railings start acting like a ramp-jump! (all this whilst ignoring the accident blackspot blind junction 20ft after the bridge )

Four (and most recent) narrowing of a two-way lane and siting a give-way to oncomming traffic location in a position where it is impossible to see if there IS any oncomming traffic!

Oh and several merge-style junctions that have been re-angled so that are more perpendicular, of which the angle on one juction is now situated so that oncomming traffic is in the blind spot of the mirrors and another where the view of traffic is blocked by the windscreen's A-pillar!

The engineers who built these roads in the 1960's knoew what they were doing, but those fudging about with them in the 2000's haven't a bloody clue!

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 October 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 17 October 2011, 12:43 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately Ali, I suspect they know exactly what they are doing, and that is making life as difficult as possible for car drivers

Which is what I suspect they are doing in Poynton
Old 17 October 2011, 12:59 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

im not in our higways department, but im afraid alot of it is down to guidelines and council.
Old 17 October 2011, 01:11 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yup - they **** them all up in the name of 'Traffic Calming'.... my ****.

In a smalltown where I drive thru to get to work, they have made a perfectly straight road with residential side junctions on into a three mini island slalom.... in the space of about 1/3rd mile

Thats if you bother actually attempting going around them...
Which I notice with glee that *very* few people actually do now.....straight line all the way, as we always did for many years before... and still do now