Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The KINDLE is about to get its ass kicked ...

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2011, 08:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up The KINDLE is about to get its *** kicked ...

... The Sony Reader Wi-Fi PRS-T1 is in town and it's goooooooooooooooood!!
Old 16 October 2011, 08:14 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weren't Kindle products (well their forthcoming cheap tablet anyway) the best thing since sliced Hovis the other day?

Enlighten me as to why this new ereader is better than the Kindle product? Price, capabilities, perhaps even a powerful zoom function for those with failing eyesight?
Old 16 October 2011, 08:16 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Old 16 October 2011, 08:21 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 16 October 2011, 08:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

http://www.techradar.com/news/portab...review-1010464
Old 16 October 2011, 08:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Last edited by what would scooby do; 16 October 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 18 October 2011, 08:42 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

Hopefully theyve managed to sort out the complete faff that is getting a book onto a sony ereader. And the touch screen on the prs600 is awful to read from compared to the kindle, and then theyve got to bring it in at less than the new £89 kindle to make it a viable alternative, imo.
Build quality of the wifes sony ereader is very good though, much better than the kindle.
Old 18 October 2011, 08:53 AM
ChrisB

I expect it will attract some attention but if people are shopping for Christmas presents and there's the Sony at circa £120 next to the Kindle at £89, I know which I'd be backing for the biggest sales.
Old 18 October 2011, 09:48 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The SONY is, by far, the quality choice ... and I shall be buying one this evening.

You can even download books from the Local Library!

The Kindle is now a plastic also-ran IMO

And the SONY is £130. And it doesn't come with a charger either - which is what annoys me about SONY ......... they squeeze you every which way!

Never mind, it's only money.

Last edited by pslewis; 18 October 2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 18 October 2011, 10:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We just use the library!

Les
Old 18 October 2011, 12:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Yes, Les .....

I was looking into this eBooks borrowed from the Library thing and it's pretty good - download a book onto your device and carry it around with you ....... it's for the wife - but, I may buy one for me too as it really does look good!!
Old 18 October 2011, 12:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My wife got me a Kindle for my 40th, loved it at first but then boarded a flight from Boston back to Manchester and the ****er decided to lock up, nothing I did sorted it so not used it since, tempted to launch the bloody useless POS !

I didnt want it anyway, I only expressed an interest as I am male and its a gadget, but the main reason was to get the missus one as she reads all the time and leave books in piles all over the house which pisses me off, so she buys me one and then declares it ok but wont replace books, so she continues to buy perhaps 4 books a month and swap them with my mum, I don't read that much and just pick from her cast offs, so what is the point of a bloody E-reader in a house full of books, which to be fair dont run out of battery or lock up when the owner is about to spend 8 hours on a bloody Airbus bored out of their mind !

So, its stuck in a drawer, and as is traditional, as it was a present I cant launch it on Ebay and get something for it, no its sits there gathering dust until I bin it as its so hopelessly out of date.
Old 18 October 2011, 12:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Well, it's for the wife - the one I'm about to buy tonight ... she has looked at the Kindle, and, to be quite honest, feels rather cheap and nasty compared to the Sony.(Edit .. not her you understand!!)

She reads books all the time - and, yes, I take books to the Book Bank every weekend!! I'm hoping that this will end the ever changing floor of books we have in the lounge!

It has an MP3 player within it and she likes the idea of listening to music whilst reading. It also can be expanded via a MicroSD Card to 34Gb - should keep her quiet for a while!
Old 18 October 2011, 01:17 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I lollered
Old 18 October 2011, 02:38 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

The Kindle has an MP3 player too.

Buy a Kindle then download the Kindle Calibre software, then you get all your books for free
Old 18 October 2011, 06:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

BUT, you are stuck with something as tactile as a fresh turd

The SONY is bought now and here beside me - a quality piece of kit if ever I saw one - sometimes something is just right!

As I said - Kindle is going to get a right royal pasting ........ WHSmiths have launched the KOBO this week, it's not great either.

I'm not tied to anyone with the SONY
Old 18 October 2011, 09:57 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realize there is a new kindle on the block?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi...W50WYRC7BZ0G34

Ok no micro sd slot, but seeing as 2gb can hold up to 1400 books, i think i can cope with that.
Old 18 October 2011, 10:19 PM
mslorach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stormyuklondon1
Hopefully theyve managed to sort out the complete faff that is getting a book onto a sony ereader. And the touch screen on the prs600 is awful to read from compared to the kindle, and then theyve got to bring it in at less than the new £89 kindle to make it a viable alternative, imo.
Build quality of the wifes sony ereader is very good though, much better than the kindle.
I've had a sony reader for a couple of years and I've never once had a problem getting a book on to it, you can just drag and drop them on like an external hard drive, or use calibre to upload many books with one touch.
The new T1 has wifi so it will be even easier.

I was planning to upgrade my reader this year and was admittedly leaning towards a kindle. What was I thinking?? I'm definitely going for a T1 now.
Old 18 October 2011, 10:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
You do realize there is a new kindle on the block?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wi-Fi...W50WYRC7BZ0G34

Ok no micro sd slot, but seeing as 2gb can hold up to 1400 books, i think i can cope with that.
Yes, I know .... no MP3 Player with this one .... AFAIK

If there is then 2Gb is pants ..

And, it is still plasticky junk to be honest - bit like a Subaru interior if you like ..... whereas the T1 is like a Jaguar XF interior .... class!!
Old 19 October 2011, 08:58 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by pslewis
Yes, I know .... no MP3 Player with this one .... AFAIK

If there is then 2Gb is pants ..

And, it is still plasticky junk to be honest - bit like a Subaru interior if you like ..... whereas the T1 is like a Jaguar XF interior .... class!!
My Kindle has an MP3 player, it even has a browser. It also has free 3G for life anywhere in the world.

Ok, the Sony may be shiny and cool, but Amazon will win hands down because of their content. That's why the Fire will do well. It's seamless integration between content and hardware, like Apple an iTunes.

I'm sure the Sony is a superior piece of hardware, but I doubt it's enough. Like has already been mentioned, it's more expensive and has not got the content.

For a bit more, you can get a Fire, I htink I know what most people will go for

Geezer
Old 19 October 2011, 09:12 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I find 3G only of any use to certain people, not of any use to our household.

I am told the SONY has a browser.

When you say 'content' I'm not sure what you mean? The SONY has the more flexible approach to what you can download onto it, therefore a much wider selection ... without messing about with a Calibre type program and conversions.

The SONY is, without doubt, the choice if you desire something which feels great, looks great and has a high quality standard .... just the same as people buy Apple for that same level. As these things are designed to be tactile then the feel is of the upmost importance.

I have absolutely no doubt that, in the run up to Xmas, the SONY T1 will drop in price to really compete with the Kindle - it needs to do that. However, Apple charge silly money for their stuff? Only Apple have market share and SONY needs to gain it.

The MP3 Player of the SONY is also head and shoulders above anything anyone else can manage .... it is their area of excellence.

The expandable MicroSD card slot could well be a killer punch to the Kindle ......
Old 19 October 2011, 09:56 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

WHen I say content, I mean Amazon's vast catalogue of books and music. The Kindle is configured to shop on Amazon, so it's a seamless procedure. I am not familiar with how the Sony actually works with regards to purchasing, so I may be speaking out of ignorance, but can you buy directly on to it or do you have to download to a PC? I know you couldn't on older models.

I bought a book sitting at poolside in the middle of nowhere in Spain earlier this year, that's quite a convenience.

The Sony is a piece of hardware that is not aligned to any particular store. Ok, you can argue that that gives you freedom, and I grant you that, but freedom to choose a much smaller selection, as it happens. Amazon e-book store is huge compared to it's nearest rival.

Add Kindle Whipersync. and you can pick up from the same page on any device you have the Kindle apps (so iPad, iPhone, Kindle, or any Android device).

It's a tough nut to crack.

Geezer
Old 19 October 2011, 09:57 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

That's some reverence there Pete!

I have a Sony reader, but the 350 - indispensible flying accessory as it fits in a suit pocket.

But, if I didn't already have 40000 ebooks, I'd get the new kindle with 3G.
Old 19 October 2011, 10:03 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just to note:-

SONY is offering a SONY eReader Store with millions of free books as well as books to buy.

The ability to borrow books, free, from the Library is brilliant .... not sure if the Kindle can do this out of the box?

Each to their own, I guess ... I have always avoided the crowd and cut my own furrow - hell, I bought a BETA Video Player
Old 19 October 2011, 10:14 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Also, apparently, this has Android as its OS ... and can be hacked into a Tablet.
Old 19 October 2011, 10:30 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
My wife got me a Kindle for my 40th, loved it at first but then boarded a flight from Boston back to Manchester and the ****er decided to lock up, nothing I did sorted it so not used it since, tempted to launch the bloody useless POS !
Just slide and hold the power slider for about 7 seconds. It will come out of sleep mode.
Old 19 October 2011, 11:07 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

good old fashioned books for me. 3 for a fiver from my local book shop.

That would mean 60 books for 100 quid. It would take me probably a few years to read all twenty books. How long would a sony OR kindle last before replacing it.

Nah. Keep your ereader. I prefer the real thing thanks
Old 19 October 2011, 11:45 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by Carlh
good old fashioned books for me. 3 for a fiver from my local book shop.

That would mean 60 books for 100 quid. It would take me probably a few years to read all twenty books. How long would a sony OR kindle last before replacing it.

Nah. Keep your ereader. I prefer the real thing thanks
On a cost basis, that's fine. However, you have to store those books, and that takes up space. If you go on holiday, you are limited to how many books you can take. I can take all of mine.

I can also buy new books without having to go near a book shop. I can, if I feel so inclined, get my books for nothing too.

I appreciate some people just prefer the feel of a real book, but for convenience, it's no contest.

Geezer
Old 19 October 2011, 12:03 PM
Mollymoo666
Scooby Regular

I dont really care how tactile an e-reader is as you would be mad to not have it in a cover.

Kindle will succeed for the same reason that the ipod does, it might not be the best item for everyone but because it is backed by an established marketplace and range of accessories it is the one people will go for. I always had Sony MP3 players as they were IMO far superior to others, better sound quality, better UI & easier and quicker to sync - I still ended up moving to the inferior, again IMO, ipod (and dreaded Itunes) for the quality of accessories, i.e. armstraps, etc.
Old 19 October 2011, 12:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nimbus
Just slide and hold the power slider for about 7 seconds. It will come out of sleep mode.
I did try that, didnt just sit there and look at !

Quick Reply: The KINDLE is about to get its ass kicked ...