Iphone not as popular as andriod, official

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2011, 06:27 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Iphone not as popular as andriod, official

Global smart phone sales

Operating System 2nd quarter 2011 2nd quarter 2010 Source: Gartner (August 2011)
Android
43.4%
17.2%
Nokia Symbian
22.1%
40.9%
Apple iOS
18.2%
14.1%
Research in Motion (Blackberry)
11.7%
18.7%
Bada (Samsung)
1.9%
0.9%
Microsoft
1.6%
4.9%
Others
1.0%
3.2%
Old 12 October 2011, 06:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

figures are 2011 to 2010 2nd quarter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15165048

so nokia has lost out big time , apples gained a bit, but android has skyrocketed.
Old 12 October 2011, 06:29 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Android have ****e cheap phones for chavs(as does RIM), Iphone doesn't. Simple.

RIM FTW even though mine hasn't worked properly all week!
Old 12 October 2011, 06:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Android have ****e cheap phones for chavs(as does RIM), Iphone doesn't. Simple.

RIM FTW even though mine hasn't worked properly all week!
so its apples own fault they dont have more market thatn others? thansk for the clarification,,,, lol

all joking aside, does seem to show nokia is falling big time, wonder how much longer they keep going?
Old 12 October 2011, 06:40 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nokia Symbian mobile phones are quite frankly a pile of stinking dog poo, I am not surprised they are losing market share.

The one thing that I can see happening sooner rather than later is that Google start producing their own hardware (I believe they may have bought a division of Motorola?).

Once Google does have it's own 'one stop shop' will it continue to offer the Android OS to what will be then rival manufacturers?

Plus I don't think personally that Apple and Android offerings are strictly aimed or are wanted by the same customers.
Old 12 October 2011, 06:43 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing i will say, wait for android 4.0 ice cream sandwich.

Granted ios is more polished, but honestly this new android update does look rather stunning, you can see they've worked hard to make it appear less clunky.

Personally im grabbing a nexus prime end of the month when it makes a showing.

Can't believe apple dumped on it's owners by removing simi from all non 4s phones, that's a bit nasty of them.

Last edited by hux309; 12 October 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12 October 2011, 06:49 PM
drb5
Scooby Regular

Hold on a second....2-3 different Apple IOS phones don't sell as many as how many Android based phones in a year??? Probably about 30-40, so it's hardly surprising is it?
Old 12 October 2011, 07:00 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Whats the old saying? Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity! I'm sure that Apple make alot more cash out its smaller proportion of sales than Android could even dream about.

Why do Android phones always sound like characters from Transformers?
Old 12 October 2011, 07:11 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

It's no surprise the sales figures given the price of some of the handsets, Argos will sell you a PAYG Android phone for £49.99!

Old 12 October 2011, 07:19 PM
wrxcook
Scooby Regular

IPhones have seen there day, I used to swear by them but after 2 of them 3g + 4 I went for the Google nexus s its so much better to use as being a Google phone it gets updates far sooner than any other Android
Old 12 October 2011, 07:32 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Will the iphone debate ever end??

For me its simple..
Android - for people that actually know a bit!!
I-Phone - for people that want a fashion accessory
RIM - Cornered the business market and will have it for years to come.

As a famous meerkat once said.. Simples!
Old 12 October 2011, 07:40 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

ahh the old android on loads of devices because its free compared to ios limited to 3/4 devices.

Let's see actual phone make sales and let's all have a laugh at apple's dominance
Old 12 October 2011, 07:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Doobs Scoob

For me its simple..

Ha that made me laugh. It is infact a load of tosh, two of my good friends own Android phones and both would like you to think they are in the know but in actually fact they wouldn't know what the know was if it was sitting beside them.
Old 12 October 2011, 08:09 PM
Doobs Scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Ha that made me laugh. It is infact a load of tosh, two of my good friends own Android phones and both would like you to think they are in the know but in actually fact they wouldn't know what the know was if it was sitting beside them.
Fair point.. Not all Android users are experts.

Most of my friends are Android users, some of them are very clued up, others just followed the crowd. Have a few mates on I-Phone and they would all admit they bought it cause it "looks cool"

Don't get me wrong I think the i-phone is a cracking bit of kit (if a bit restrictive). For the average Joe who wants a phone that does everything well then you can't go far wrong with the it. IMO just pay less, get an HTC, which does everything an i-phone can and more, and as an added bonus you can avoid the dreaded i-tunes!

Just my opinion... Welcome to shoot it down if you like.
Old 12 October 2011, 08:12 PM
TingTongPJ
Scooby Regular

i'm not surprised

people talk about all this like it's some kind of competition all the time.

i would have thought that any person with a brain could work out that when the same platform is used by several maunfacturers the odds will weigh in their favour compared to a single platform by one manufacturer.

business phones will top the ballance, how many compaines let you choose an iphone for work ?

also this makes no sense when you read the thread title, the infomation above is about the platform nothing to do with the handsets.

Last edited by TingTongPJ; 12 October 2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12 October 2011, 08:22 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Jailbreaking an iphone gives you everything Android has but with better hardware. That said I don't think you should have to JB your phone to make it do what you want, but I'm a geek, so it doesn't bother me. Iphone 4 S on friday for me I think
Old 13 October 2011, 08:33 AM
Saint AAI
Scooby Regular

Android don't have cheap *** phones for chavs as they don't have phones. Android doesn't make phones nor does it earn money, it is not a company. It is an OS owned by Google that is given away for free. It is very versatile and can be ported to just about any device, that's why some crappy phones have it. Doesn't mean all Android powered phones are rubbish. There's one to suit all budgets. It's bound to be the most popular phone OS as many manufacturers use it across a wide range of phones. Also jailbreaking an iPhone lets you install apps from anywhere, that's all. It does not give you all of Androids features with better hardware, Android does not have hardware, it's an OS. Currently only the 4s has better hardware than other manufacturers leading phones, the iPhone 4 has very outdated hardware.
Old 13 October 2011, 08:55 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saint AAI
Android don't have cheap *** phones for chavs as they don't have phones. Android doesn't make phones nor does it earn money, it is not a company. It is an OS owned by Google that is given away for free. It is very versatile and can be ported to just about any device, that's why some crappy phones have it. Doesn't mean all Android powered phones are rubbish. There's one to suit all budgets. It's bound to be the most popular phone OS as many manufacturers use it across a wide range of phones. Also jailbreaking an iPhone lets you install apps from anywhere, that's all. It does not give you all of Androids features with better hardware, Android does not have hardware, it's an OS. Currently only the 4s has better hardware than other manufacturers leading phones, the iPhone 4 has very outdated hardware.
Blimey, the first post in this thread that isn't full of complete b0ll0cks!

In my view.... (just so you hater's can argue with me )
- Android is a better OS
- Samsung and HTC phones have overtaken the iPhone in terms of hardware
- iPhone 4S is a step forward but with one model release a year, Apple can't keep pace with HTC's product development.
- iPhones are a fashion accessory, massively overpriced for the technology in them (rather like all Apple devices).
- Good on Apple for maintaining brand marketing thats held them such a large market share for so long, despite their prices.
- The other Android phones will continue to shrink in terms of sales.
- Blackberry needs something seriously good and now to prevent them being shafted in next few years. As a BES administrator, I'm getting serious pressure from the business to bin it and adopt Android or iPhones as the Blackberry handsets haven't kept up with the rivals.

So there

Last edited by Steve_PPP; 13 October 2011 at 08:57 AM.
Old 13 October 2011, 09:09 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

How is the iPhone 4s outdated? It still has the highest res screen of any phone on the market.

Jailbreaking let you install any software, correct - however it let's you install software that changes the os behaviour, I.e. lock screen info.

I don't see how an iPhone is a fashion accessory though? I don't prance around waving my phone about.

I get that you hate apple, get over it, it's just another unix based OS
Old 13 October 2011, 09:15 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Android doesn't make phones nor does it earn money, it is not a company. It is an OS owned by Google that is given away for free.
Get off your pedantic high horse, we all know its an OS

If I said I had a diesel car you wouldn't lecture me that diesel don't make cars, its a fuel that is use in cars blah blah blah.......

Remember, quality costs money. Always has, always will.
Old 13 October 2011, 09:40 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Remember, quality costs money. Always has, always will.
I disagree. Its brand snobbery that costs money.

Quite often higher quality products can be cheaper than less quality products, its just that the more expensive ones have a desireable badge on them!
Old 13 October 2011, 09:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Does it really matter?

Les
Old 13 October 2011, 10:06 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Figures for 2011

Projected figures for 2012

Whilst Apple still has the largest market share in smartphones, the biggest growth has come from both HTC and Samsung. Apple saw a growth of 141%, which is good, but Samsung saw a 380% growth between 2010 and 2011. Nokia on the other hand has been caught napping!
http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS22974611
Old 13 October 2011, 10:55 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Come on Les. Play the game and don't stand in the way of a good argument ...

Dave
But it is not even a good argument. Everyone knows Apple is not the best except for Apple users. It is by now means the worst either, just not the be all and end all they hype it up to be.
Old 13 October 2011, 11:37 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
How is the iPhone 4s outdated? It still has the highest res screen of any phone on the market.
Perhaps but in reality the Xperia arc screen looks better and has a much better photo, video recording and playback facilities. Plus you don't have to hold most phones in a special way to make them work.
Old 13 October 2011, 11:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Come on Les. Play the game and don't stand in the way of a good argument ...

Dave
Well you know me Dave, I would hate to be unfair!

Les
Old 13 October 2011, 11:56 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Perhaps but in reality the Xperia arc screen looks better and has a much better photo, video recording and playback facilities. Plus you don't have to hold most phones in a special way to make them work.
I beg to differ, I've never had an issue with my iPhone & hold it in the regular manner. Camera wise it's not as many megapixels as the latest handsets but that will change with the 4s tomorrow, as will video recording, 1080p IIRC - end of the day I like my phone, it's not perfect but it does what I need & at the end of the day it's a phone, not a cure for cancer!

Peace out.
Old 13 October 2011, 12:09 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Doobs Scoob

For me its simple..

This is pretty much spot on.

Wifes has a BB Bold and its a steaming dog poo of a phone. Mate has an Iphone and I have to say I did think it was OK, nothing special. I'd be tempted to say that the screen on my friends IPhone 4 is crisper than my Desire HD.

I'm very happy with my DHD and will be replacing with another Android phone.

Sitting on the fence statement - in day to day stuff I can't really see the edge one has over the other.

Fanboi statement - Android rocks, Apple sux.
Old 13 October 2011, 12:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but really, who gives a flying **** !

Blokes get all tribal about anything, religion, football and now bleeding mobile phones, they all do much the same job, buy one, use it and if it doesn't suit, get another.

Why do we feel the need to justify our choice and try and discredit someone elses.

Quick Reply: Iphone not as popular as andriod, official