Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CHAMPIX

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2011, 07:30 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CHAMPIX

has anyone else tryed them and given up smoking ? i have not had a ciggy since friday night and don't want one or crave one . just been up me mates house and his mum was smoking and it never bothered me one bit , and iv'e smoked for 30 years , i am well chuffed
Old 10 October 2011, 07:35 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Champix is used quite a bit here in Cumbria as smoking is very common and a real killer.....very effective for many but has lots of minor side effects and in a very few people has serious potential for mental disturbance......

Shaun
Old 10 October 2011, 07:37 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Champix... almost 3 years without smoking now (was on 20-30 a day before). Mrs has also given up using it.
Old 10 October 2011, 07:42 PM
the hamster
BANNED

is that the prescribed stuff or over the counter?

My mate tried to quit using something the doc prescribed and he was having nightmares, dodgy stomach, headaches etc etc
Old 10 October 2011, 07:51 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

i will admit to bad gas lol but no nightmares yet and on day 12 and yes it is perscription only
Old 10 October 2011, 07:57 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
is that the prescribed stuff or over the counter?

My mate tried to quit using something the doc prescribed and he was having nightmares, dodgy stomach, headaches etc etc
Could have been Zyban which is what used to be prescribed before Champix and had more side effects.
Old 10 October 2011, 07:59 PM
the hamster
BANNED

thats the puppy, freaky *** stuff that is.
Old 10 October 2011, 08:12 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

I gave up two weeks ago, first day was a pain but been fine since the second.

Long may it last!!
Old 10 October 2011, 08:18 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Used Allen Carrs Easyway, Zyban was terribad and nicotine replacement therapy is like giving alcohol to cure alcoholism :-/

Champix sounds good and like it cures the physical cravings, its the mental addiction that Easyway helps so much.
Old 10 October 2011, 08:21 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 here. 18 months since my last *** having smoked for 15 years. Also know 4 other people who have used it sucessfully
Old 10 October 2011, 09:00 PM
ibanezvaio
Scooby Regular

Hey guys. Good to hear so many people have used it successfully. Just an FYI from my experience-make sure you finish the course of pills. I quit and thought I was ok after about 9 weeks so stopped taking them. The end of week 11 came and the cravings hit me like a bomb and I gave in.
Starting them again in a week. Good luck to you
Old 10 October 2011, 09:11 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

9 weeks , christ just proves what a nasty addictive drug nicotine is . at the mo 3 days without i feel fine , even after my mates mum lit up right in front of me
Old 10 October 2011, 09:14 PM
ibanezvaio
Scooby Regular

Yep horrible stuff. The full course is 12 iirc.

Funnily enough, my brother did exactly the same as me, then completed the course and has been free for 9 months now so it does work
Old 10 October 2011, 09:24 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

I stopped using champix.

It literally has changed my life, having smoked for years and as much as I thought I should stop I knew I didn't have the will power. Then this lady came into my offices and I happened to be in reception, she was from a nhs smoking clinic across the road and was trying to persuade people to come in for a chat. I said yes (because she was a nice bit of skirt) and 2 weeks later I was on champix.

Not smoked for 6 months.

As above, finish the course as clinical trials show it is a 3 month period for your body to lose it's physical addiction to nicotine.

I had fairly bad nightmares for the first 3-4 weeks but it was worth it not to be smoking.

Chop
Old 10 October 2011, 09:28 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Its my next step. I really must register with a doc and get myself on it.

I've tried giving up cold turkey and with NRT and always end up smoking more after coming off NRT.
Old 10 October 2011, 11:04 PM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

I stopped after 33 years smoking 40 a day with Easyway, seriously, it is way better than any method I have tried as it trains your brain to give up. It deals with the issues that made you smoke in the beginning, and that "well one won't hurt me".

What have you got to lose? It is a book, you can smoke while you read it (encouraged), and if you want to smoke after it is finished, well you never wanted to quit

Everything in the book is soooo true, if it wasn't for the fact you must read the book every so often (a chapter every 6 months as a refresher to stop you getting sucked in by the "just one won't hurt me") I would mail it around my friends that smoke.

It is 3 weeks to lose the physical addiction, and after 3 weeks you won't believe how good you feel.

If you genuinely want to give up, spend what a packet of **** costs on the book, it will be there to support you long after the prescription.
Old 10 October 2011, 11:17 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

http://www.truthwillout.co.uk/category/champixchantix/

Murders and suicides
Old 10 October 2011, 11:41 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jamie
Many drugs have potentially serious side effects. I suppose it is down to the person to decide whether taking is worth the risk, assuming they are fully aware of what they are. For some people it's a matter of weighing up the risk of harm using champix vs the risk to health by continuing to smoke.

I've personally never tried this drug, but I did try zyban and had to stop due to having a seizure (although I have since been diagnosed with epilepsy, so that reaction could have just been chance. I'll never know)

It obviously has good and bad results, and in my opinion it is something that should be used with caution and monitoring.

MS, good luck with quitting, I hope you succeed.
Old 11 October 2011, 08:15 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

champix didnt do anything for me. no side effects, still smoked.
Old 11 October 2011, 11:20 AM
JPL
Scooby Regular

A serious well done to all those giving up You are all well on your way to a more healthy lifestyle, hopefully you'll live longer, and you no longer stink!

To the newbie giver uppers... give it a while, you'll realise all smokers fecking stink!

(Ex 30 a day, gave up 4+ years ago with patches on NHS)

BTW, you will only succeed if you really, really, WANT to.

Old 11 October 2011, 11:24 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Last night i saw an advert for a Nicorette mouth spray. A mouth-spray???

For Nicorette to invent so many different ways to quit smoking, must indicate what a money-for-old-rope product they're flogging.
Old 12 October 2011, 03:12 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was heavily addicted for a good many years and had tried several times unsuccessfully to kick the habit.

Eventually I had a hospital stay after an operation and was unable to go to the smoking room.

When I got home I decided to carry on without smoking and cornered the market in Maltesers instead. Basically I went "Cold Turkey" and it was very difficult at first but eventually each day made me stronger at resisting it.

These days thank goodness I can't stand the thought of smoking any more and certainly won't get sucked in again.

Les
Old 12 October 2011, 06:59 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Galifrey
Used Allen Carrs Easyway, Zyban was terribad and nicotine replacement therapy is like giving alcohol to cure alcoholism :-/

Champix sounds good and like it cures the physical cravings, its the mental addiction that Easyway helps so much.
Same here.... Well over 6 years since my last cigarette, hardly ever crosses my mind and I'd smoked for 22 years
Old 27 March 2012, 10:44 AM
specialx
Former Sponsor

5 days in and I don't want a ***!
feeling quite nauseous 20 mins after taking one but I have no urges to smoke one with the coffee I've just bought. Normally i'd be leaning on the wall outside puffing away!

I'll keep you posted
Old 27 March 2012, 11:41 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

I smoked through my 20's... along with a few other things, always saying that

"your body looks after you till your 30, after 30 it has to be the other way round"

Seemed easy to say this at the time as 30 seemed a feckin long way away! But it instilled in my head that when i hit 30 id stop smoking ..... that made it easy to just go cold turkey as id geared myself up to just not smoke..... past 31 now and have just never missed it!

A guy i work with who was a 20 a day for as long as he can remember has had hypnosis ..... possibly worked a bit tooo well as now he cant even smell smoke on someones clothes without feeling sick!
Old 27 March 2012, 11:43 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Champix really turned my insides inside out, and another guy I work with felt the same. He actually took himself off them.

I stayed on them to the end, but still smoke. I however don't always now get the cravings so will be going for a cold turkey attempt on Friday.
Old 27 March 2012, 12:09 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Good luck with the Champix, I'm on my fourth week with an e-Cig and its working a treat, just got to wean myself off the nicotine now.....
Old 02 April 2012, 12:22 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

Still not touched a ***! Had some depressing feelings last week (not like me) so knew it was the champix and snapped myself out of it.

Smoke free and feeling good, although the tic tac's are getting eaten in hand fulls but still cheaper than ****!

Oh and this is a god send for keeping your hands busy!

Old 02 April 2012, 12:29 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with it Ads. Are you putting the money you would have spent on the **** to one side? I did and inside of 9 months i had bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma with the money. It now sits as a daily reminder of how much **** used to cost me. I did make the mistake however of not continuing to save once i'd bought the tele as i'd now be sat on £2-3k
Old 02 April 2012, 12:31 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Used champix twice first time worked and i quit for a while then 2nd time got chest pains felt like a heart attack so came off them
Google champix and theres countless people who have had problems and in the 1st year your chance of stopping using champix is about 10% i think thats what my doctor said i know it was pretty low

Quick Reply: CHAMPIX