Default TV Experts - panasonic tx-42e3b

Looked at this tv today for £480.

Good or bad choice?

Chop
Old 08 October 2011, 07:37 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chopper, why have you decided to go LED?
Old 08 October 2011, 08:40 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Chopper, why have you decided to go LED?
Good question.

I've had a wander round John Lewis, currys etc and to be honest I just think the picture quality is sharper.

I'm no expert and don't think i would be able to tell much difference between led, lcd and plasma, but for some reason I am just leaning towards led even though it is a bit more than I want to spend.

Chop
Old 08 October 2011, 08:54 AM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a nose at samsung, though pricey their d8000 is stunning.
Old 08 October 2011, 08:55 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209826/Product.aspx

Have a look at the Sammy equivalent and see what you think..

Have a fiddle with settings on all TV's though.. Backlight is usually set very high as are contrast and colour. Tone everything down and you will get a true representation of the TV..
Old 08 October 2011, 08:59 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Chop, I would aim for the 42e30 if you can. Some places are doing great deals on it. Such a wonderful looking tv when run in. Out of the box, its pretty awful looking.
Old 08 October 2011, 09:05 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

As for the samsungs, I wouldn't bother with them. The current range including the flagship D8000 led suffer from motion blur and stuttering which I think is to do with over processing of the image as it becomes quite acceptable once you've turned off half the gimmicks they charge you for on the TV.
Old 08 October 2011, 09:58 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Have a look LG 42LE8900 - Full array LED and awsome picture in THX Cinema mode.
Old 08 October 2011, 12:32 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Nope none of those with mine, did stutter with the f1 intro but that's all that has managed to upset it, and i've thrown everything at it.

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
As for the samsungs, I wouldn't bother with them. The current range including the flagship D8000 led suffer from motion blur and stuttering which I think is to do with over processing of the image as it becomes quite acceptable once you've turned off half the gimmicks they charge you for on the TV.
Old 08 October 2011, 02:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hux309
Nope none of those with mine, did stutter with the f1 intro but that's all that has managed to upset it, and i've thrown everything at it.
Well I can assure you they do with the majority of action sequences I've ran on them, whether or not its actually noticed is another matter all together. The D7000 for example just can't deal with any of the action scenes in I-Robot without having most of the setting switched off.

I hate to say it but I'd have the Panasonic. Motion control is more favourable to me that depth of image.
Old 08 October 2011, 02:18 PM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice chaps.

£500 is the most I'm happy to spend on a tv so my options are a bit limited.

Chop
Old 08 October 2011, 02:44 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

nothing wrong with sammys m8, ive got the 50" 3d plasma and its superb. mine is the 1080p one but i think they have brought out a 720p version which i think might be around your budget. i have to admit the panasonic plasmas are sublime and are sharper than the sammy but for the price the sammy is good.

Last edited by yabbadoo4; 08 October 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08 October 2011, 03:23 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

My Sammy blows my last 2 Panny's away when it comes to picture quality..

I havent seen any motion blur issues with mine...
Old 08 October 2011, 09:05 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Well i own a d8000, panny plasma and sony bravia.

For me the sammy is top dog.

Well I can assure you they do with the majority of action sequences I've ran on them, whether or not its actually noticed is another matter all together. The D7000 for example just can't deal with any of the action scenes in I-Robot without having most of the setting switched off.

I hate to say it but I'd have the Panasonic. Motion control is more favourable to me that depth of image.
Old 08 October 2011, 10:55 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

how the heck can opinons be so different - unless theres different external inputs ( signal) , viewers reception ( eyes) ,or considering 2 different aspects of the tvs performance
Old 08 October 2011, 11:23 PM
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dpb
how the heck can opinons be so different - unless theres different external inputs ( signal) , viewers reception ( eyes) ,or considering 2 different aspects of the tvs performance
Agree, good point.

Also I have to hand over 500 nicker for a tv that may suffer from screen stutter

That can't be right.

Chop
Old 09 October 2011, 05:24 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

all the technologies have their issues bud, plasma,led, and lcd. its what works best and looks best to your eyes. best advice is to audition them in store and ask for the remotes so u can play around with some settings as they are always set to shop mode which is usually everything set to the max and the brightest to catch ur attention in the store. join avs forum and do a search of the shortlist of models ur considering and see what owners are saying. just remember a lot of people are on the forums to complain if their tv has a fault so there will be comments good and bad! i bought the samsung 50" plasma c680 3d telly and got the free 3d blu ray player and the shrek trilogy 3d disks by voucher and its been the best tv ive ever had! good luck hope you pick a good one.
Old 09 October 2011, 12:27 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Agreed..

Just get out and about chop,and have a look at what is good to your eye.. Imagine that all the badges had been taken off the sets...

If you have a local Costco its worth having a look in there as they have many TV's going and usually on a good HD feed..And free 5 year warranty.

Edit to say i have had all 3 technologies when it comes to TV's.. 3 different plasma's over the period of 10 years,LCD and LED/LCD..

Had 3 Panny's,Sharp,Hitachi(never again) and Samsung.. And have to say that Samsung has been the best for me so far.I have a couple of mates that are into the AV and they have both recently gone to Samsung,one from Panny and one from Sony...

Last edited by fatscoobfella1; 09 October 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09 October 2011, 02:16 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper.
Thanks for the advice chaps.

£500 is the most I'm happy to spend on a tv so my options are a bit limited.

Chop
Little bit over, but I don't think you'll get a better price for an outstanding TV.
http://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/4..._LED_TV_1334_d
Old 09 October 2011, 02:52 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

I bought a TV for electronics world around 7-8 years ago...

Shoddy outfit allround i have to say...
Old 09 October 2011, 09:08 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

+1 For nosing around the shops, did exactly that before i went and paid what i did for the sammy.

No way was a forking out that much, not knowing what i thought of it.

And the new firmware has removed any stuttering, f1 today ran baby smooth and it was stunning.

But hey it's down to whatever your eyes prefer, a lot of folk prefer the smoother more natural plasmas as it's similar to crt's of old.

For me it has to be pin sharp, so led for me, not to mention i burn off a sight less power, and in the summer it won't wind up heating my room for me.
Old 09 October 2011, 09:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
It will always be an issue of contention, as your (or my) standards very much depends on the TV you used to use regularly beforehand

That being what TV you had before and its ability to display images and process motion, be it HD or not.

I was unfortunate to come from a top of the range Philips Natural motion CRT - a £1K TV I spent the best part of ten years watching. I say unfortunate as this TV made it very difficult to find a suitable replacement. Scoff some people may at a TV so old and branded by what is a relatively unknown company in this day and age of TVs. But its only the more recent (as in last 24months) high end plasmas and LEDs that have been able to better it for picture motion. Everything else just look judder-tastic or blurs-ville - despite their superior contrast/brightness and resolution.

I could try to point out the issue of my mate's £1K Sony LCD to him, with its horrible motion issues as well the backlighting bleeding and black levels (its a bit old hat now, but still it was a £1K TV a few years ago) and he still wouldn't notice it, even if it was obvious to me...but his prior TV was a pretty mundane Sony Wega thing which was a 50hz crt with no motion processing...so anything newer would produce a better picture than that.

Think of it as owning a Hyundai Accent and upgrading to a Hyundai i30. Obviously the i30 is going to be better....but its not going to be better than a BMW 330 and if you've driven a 330 (or 328), no matter how old, it would still blow the socks off any new Hyundai. But someone who hasn't wouldn't know any better.

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 October 2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09 October 2011, 09:56 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

3 certainties in life:

Death
Taxes
Ali-B commenting on a TV thread

Old 09 October 2011, 10:23 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Have finally bought a new telly yet, K ?

(btw Panasonic's media server is rubbish )
Old 09 October 2011, 11:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
3 certainties in life:

Death
Taxes
Ali-B commenting on a TV thread

Hes saves me 5k a piece on tv's and motors
Old 09 October 2011, 11:14 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Panasonics media sucks big time, they had really better sort themselves out there as they're being left behind.

Once plasmas are phased out, they had better step up or be out of the game.

Originally Posted by ALi-B

(btw Panasonic's media server is rubbish )
Old 10 October 2011, 09:08 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Panasonics media sucks big time, they had really better sort themselves out there as they're being left behind.

Once plasmas are phased out, they had better step up or be out of the game.
Panasonic need never worry. Those who buy Panasonic are pretty much like buyers of new BMW's, the majority don't even have a test drive before placing the order and are quite happy to pay a premium for the brand.

At the shop I work in I don't have a single Panasonic out on display, yet I've sold bucket loads.

I am not looking forward to the day my Pioneer goes bang, as I still think its the best all rounder(SD/HD) I've seen although it does suffer terriblely from vertical screen judder.
Old 10 October 2011, 10:54 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Sd i doubt it, many folk on av forums have quoted that the panny lacks there, the sammy is atm the best all rounder.

Yeah panny are nice, but they had better start pushing towards led, plasmas won't last forever.
Old 11 October 2011, 06:20 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Sd i doubt it, many folk on av forums have quoted that the panny lacks there, the sammy is atm the best all rounder.

Yeah panny are nice, but they had better start pushing towards led, plasmas won't last forever.
Well if AVForums have said that, then it must be a matter of fact. As with many forums, most are just repeating what others have said without actually having any experience.

I can guarantee that AVForums love affair with Samsung will swing straight back to Panasonic after What HiFi's 2011 Awards issue has been released to the public.

As with Plasma, not lasting forever......they still make V12 and V10 engines and just look at the outcry when BMW replaced their V10 with a V8TT. LED technology seriously needs to up its game and stop pandering to "thinness", I'd rather have a good LED backlit screen that this edgelit nonsense.

Last edited by Jamz3k; 11 October 2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11 October 2011, 09:52 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Well they have been banging on about panasonic for longer than i can imagine, sammys just seem to be fotm for the minute, but im being totally honest with my opinion.

If the sammy was poor, damn right id say it was.

I do have one bugbear about it, switch off the updates if it's not needed, seemed one was destructive to my hard drive and i needed to reformat the thing grr.

I do admit id rather have a bit more bezel if it means no light bleed, but if im honest there's very little with this panel, they've done a great job with it.

But with regards to plasmas phasing out, i was more hinting at oleds which you know will be the death knell for them, even you can't deny that one

Quick Reply: TV Experts - panasonic tx-42e3b