Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

02 won't fix my phone

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2011, 07:46 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 won't fix my phone

My Samsung GS suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. I sent it back to 02 as its under warranty. They examined it and said they would not fix it under warranty
as it had suffered water damage.

Now unlike some phones I've had this phone has never had significant water damage.

It may have had the odd splash but never dropped in water etc.

They insisted that the corrosion is so bad that the engineer has reported that they will
not honour the warranty.

I argued (politely) for ages over the phone with them about this issue saying that how do they know that the corrosion wasn't caused by normal humidity/moisture etc but they weren't having any of it. They just kept saying there was nothing they could do.

Now I wouldn't mind if I felt I was at fault. This phone to the very best of my knowledge has never had major water exposure. I've had Nokias in the past which
I have actually dropped down the toilet and they have still worked.

Anyway, the best they offered me was a refurbed unit for £75 (because of my loyalty!)

I've been a customer with them for over ten years and have never sent back a phone or made a warranty claim in the past.

I told them I would think about it and get back to them, they still have my phone.

I still have over 8 months left with them so can't threaten them with that.

Anything else I can do or shall I just hand over the £75 (btw it's a point of principle rather than the money)

Thanks
Old 04 October 2011, 07:50 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning (Paul Habgood here),

I would stand my ground and take it further if you are certain that the fault does not lie with you.
Old 04 October 2011, 07:50 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Trouble is, how many people say ' I didn't drop it in water honest' Hell I've even done it myself in the past with orange.

I think they will not budge.
Old 04 October 2011, 07:55 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If it's like a iPhone they'll have water sensors that change colour when wet, there was a big thing about it changing just from the steam in a bathroom after a shower.

Could be worth a google see if this phone has same problem then try o2
Old 04 October 2011, 08:08 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
This phone to the very best of my knowledge has never had major water exposure
So you're not even 100% sure that it's not had water exposure? Surely you'd know if it had.

You may be better paying the £75 and start leaving your phone in your locker when you go swimming

Old 04 October 2011, 09:15 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Ask for Proof.
Old 04 October 2011, 09:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The phones are either sent off to the manufacture or to a 3rd party repairer, O2 dont actually repair the phones themselves so rely on whoever they send them to.
If the phone has litmus paper in (most do nowerdays) then that could be one reason or if they have photo's of the corrosion you could ask to see them with the serial number.
Otherwise I would take the refurbed handset, nothing wrong with them, my iphone 4 is a refurb (work phone so we only get refurbs).

Tony
Old 04 October 2011, 09:32 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

It could be anything walking down the street with it raining and your pocket getting dam causing the sensor to change colour,
Old 04 October 2011, 09:33 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

Yes, they say they've got pics of the inside showing the corrosion. Maybe I should ask to see the pics
Old 04 October 2011, 09:45 AM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

If you're sure you didnt damage the phone and want to stick with your principles, tell them you want to downgrade your tarrif to the cheapest one they do, pay your 8 months off, tell them to stick the phone and take a new contract out with someone else.
Old 04 October 2011, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Buy a cheap phone off a market or in a charity shop, stick the sim card in it and work off the 8 months with it. Then you can change.

Les
Old 04 October 2011, 03:58 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I would ask for the phone back in 1 piece. I would then take it to a local repairer and ask them to have a look at it, to see why it dosen't work. Don't tell them its been away already. See what they have to say about it.

But think about it, have you played in the bathroom with your phone while its been hot and steamy?
Have you used it in the rain?
Could it of been splashed at a pool or somewhere similar?

Re-furbed phones are just as good as new phones apart from sometime the casing may be a bit naff but electrically it should be fine.
As far I as know, you wont be able to reduce your tariff until around 9 months (maybe a month or 2 longer) and then they normally only say you can reduce it by 1 level at a time.
Old 19 October 2011, 10:47 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. A quick update.

I usually can't be bothered to pursue these things but this time I did.

The 02 repair dept insisted that I had to write in if I wanted to complain, they told me on two separate occasions that it could not be done by email. A google search revealed an email address, the lying bersteards!

Anyway I emailed my complaint and rather than having to pay £75 for a refurbed Galaxy S1 today I received a refurbed (immaculate) Galaxy S2 for free!!

It looks like a fantastic phone!!
Old 20 October 2011, 09:13 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

O2..........ah yes, the "water damage" clause.

They tried that on my eldest too.

He just said,"Right, that cancels my contract then, I'll tell my bank to stop all payments to you from today."

They had a change of heart.........
Old 20 October 2011, 09:25 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Result
Old 20 October 2011, 09:29 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

A girl i worked with had the same issue with O2 as well, she was adamant the phone had never been in water, ended up buying a new phone
Old 20 October 2011, 10:06 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
My Samsung GS suddenly stopped working a few weeks ago. I sent it back to 02 as its under warranty. They examined it and said they would not fix it under warranty
as it had suffered water damage.

Now unlike some phones I've had this phone has never had significant water damage.

It may have had the odd splash but never dropped in water etc.

They insisted that the corrosion is so bad that the engineer has reported that they will
not honour the warranty.

I argued (politely) for ages over the phone with them about this issue saying that how do they know that the corrosion wasn't caused by normal humidity/moisture etc but they weren't having any of it. They just kept saying there was nothing they could do.

Now I wouldn't mind if I felt I was at fault. This phone to the very best of my knowledge has never had major water exposure. I've had Nokias in the past which
I have actually dropped down the toilet and they have still worked.

Anyway, the best they offered me was a refurbed unit for £75 (because of my loyalty!)

I've been a customer with them for over ten years and have never sent back a phone or made a warranty claim in the past.

I told them I would think about it and get back to them, they still have my phone.

I still have over 8 months left with them so can't threaten them with that.

Anything else I can do or shall I just hand over the £75 (btw it's a point of principle rather than the money)

Thanks
Deep,

If i can find it, I'll send you the the email adress fot the head of telephonica uk. Email him and explain what's happened.

My wife had no end of trouble converting her old phone contract to an iphone contract - kept getting the "nothing we can do" answer.

She got fed up, did some digging and emailed the guy direct. Within 24 hours she had an amazing iphone deal, mega free everything, unlimited data (when you couldn't get unlimited anymore), and an apology.

You have to by pass the call centres and get to someone who's able to make a decision.

Cheers

*EDIT* Should read the whole post before answering lol

Last edited by Devildog; 20 October 2011 at 10:08 AM.