Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Unions in the workplace

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2011, 05:33 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Unions in the workplace

I must have had the most unproductive week in the 5 or so years I have worked at this company.
Basically I look after office builds/re-fits in UK and EMEA for a large organisation.
During the last few weeks some of the Unions in various parts of the business have taken more interest in how we go about fitting-out offices and what regs they think we comply with, or not..
For instance we carried out a re-fit in a 1300sq.m office giving over 210 workstations last year and moved a team in. Had a few snags but nothing too unusual - other than ending up changing the new light tubes for a different type as we had complaints that they were too white..
Anyway a year later the team move out, we do a minor reconfig and a new project team move in. These guys soon involved their local union rep and he reeled off a list of issues during a meeting. Quite an agressive character I may add. Amongst his issues were:-

1. we need evidence that the lighting complies to latest "office regs".

2. we think that you should design offices properly as the light fittings should be behind where users are positioned, not overhead or in front of.. Me: Huh, how do we do that when each lamp illuminates between 4-6 desks each? Someone would end up with a lamp in front of them, it's impossible. Notwithstanding that, the lighting grid is designed to give even spread of light using appropriate fittings at a minimum of 400 lux. throughout.

3. We don't think there is enough toilets for all the people in here. Give evidence this has been considered blah blah..

4. The a/c is draughty and not compliant. We need evidence it has been calibrated properly etc... Me. There is no legal requirement for us to install a/c (it was already in place and we re-balanced it btw). I thought to myself "we can turn it off and you can open the windows instead if you like" but I didn't want to argue grrr..

This is just one of the floors. As we are refurbing 6 more this year, plus we've built a temporary office (basically a large 300-seat modular building), it appears each business group is now seeking advice from their local HSE and Trade Union rep.

Fine we can answer all this but as you can imagine the email traffic is fookin' crazy! Plus I'm spending more time in meetings/ phone calls/responding to emails relating to these people and not concentrating on delivering what the seniors have signed up to this year.
Did these type of moran ***** really kill Rover?

Anyway, thought I'd vent out. Time for beer now..

Last edited by skoobidude; 23 September 2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 23 September 2011, 08:09 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Unions, run by a**holes who want to run the place but haven`t the aptitude or intelligence, and sometimes none of the above and are socio-paths!!
Old 24 September 2011, 02:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Ask the rep to provide evidence that the items he has mentioned are not up to the correct specification!

Les
Old 24 September 2011, 02:41 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by skoobidude
I must have had the most unproductive week in the 5 or so years I have worked at this company.
Basically I look after office builds/re-fits in UK and EMEA for a large organisation.
During the last few weeks some of the Unions in various parts of the business have taken more interest in how we go about fitting-out offices and what regs they think we comply with, or not..
For instance we carried out a re-fit in a 1300sq.m office giving over 210 workstations last year and moved a team in. Had a few snags but nothing too unusual - other than ending up changing the new light tubes for a different type as we had complaints that they were too white..
Anyway a year later the team move out, we do a minor reconfig and a new project team move in. These guys soon involved their local union rep and he reeled off a list of issues during a meeting. Quite an agressive character I may add. Amongst his issues were:-

1. we need evidence that the lighting complies to latest "office regs".

2. we think that you should design offices properly as the light fittings should be behind where users are positioned, not overhead or in front of.. Me: Huh, how do we do that when each lamp illuminates between 4-6 desks each? Someone would end up with a lamp in front of them, it's impossible. Notwithstanding that, the lighting grid is designed to give even spread of light using appropriate fittings at a minimum of 400 lux. throughout.

3. We don't think there is enough toilets for all the people in here. Give evidence this has been considered blah blah..

4. The a/c is draughty and not compliant. We need evidence it has been calibrated properly etc... Me. There is no legal requirement for us to install a/c (it was already in place and we re-balanced it btw). I thought to myself "we can turn it off and you can open the windows instead if you like" but I didn't want to argue grrr..

This is just one of the floors. As we are refurbing 6 more this year, plus we've built a temporary office (basically a large 300-seat modular building), it appears each business group is now seeking advice from their local HSE and Trade Union rep.

Fine we can answer all this but as you can imagine the email traffic is fookin' crazy! Plus I'm spending more time in meetings/ phone calls/responding to emails relating to these people and not concentrating on delivering what the seniors have signed up to this year.
Did these type of moran ***** really kill Rover?

Anyway, thought I'd vent out. Time for beer now..
The unions should take this up with the SHE rep, he should then engage with your team rather than the Union direct. A quick compliance statement should be easy enough to run up - but you should ask for copies of all the DSE (display screen equipment) risk assessments from all users first, as that should be the evidence as opposed to "we think" type comments from the Unions. Also, as said previously, they should be refering to specific legislation rather than inventing ones like "Office Regs" as they don't actually exist.
Old 24 September 2011, 02:48 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

sometime just complying legally and giving a touch more from the companies side

can help calm some more "extremists" down, and be long term worthwhile

it makes you look good, and expect a bit in return - its just if they start to take p*ss , you need to put foot down.

as you said its been the most unproductive week in so long - is it worht fighting, loosing worktime over?

maybe it is, justa thought
Old 24 September 2011, 10:11 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

TBH i have had those sorts of questions raised in non-unionised clients over the last 10 years as well and it is frustrating when the untrained non-technical person starts questioning the technical side of your job but i think it is part of the service and now days we call it after sales customer care
Old 24 September 2011, 10:58 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

I spend my life dealing with TU's

1. no you don't - they have to say why they don't, with facts.
2. Incorrect, if they are diffused then it doesnt matter where the lights are. Behind someone (if undiffused) would cause screen glare.
3. the law says "reasonable", it's not prescriptive on no of loo's.
4. If it's maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's recommended schedule then that will do.

These moran's are why the UK lost its manufacturing legacy
Old 25 September 2011, 10:02 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Ahem...

Originally Posted by Scooby Jo
I spend my life dealing with TU's

1. no you don't - they have to say why they don't, with facts.
2. Incorrect, if they are diffused then it doesnt matter where the lights are. Behind someone (if undiffused) would cause screen glare.
3. the law says "reasonable", it's not prescriptive on no of loo's. - the building regulations are prescriptive and there's also an ACOP's sitting behind the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences
4. If it's maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's recommended schedule then that will do.

These moran's are why the UK lost its manufacturing legacy
Old 25 September 2011, 11:00 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected I was referring to the Workplace Safety & Health Regs which dont prescribe no of loos per head
Old 26 September 2011, 10:34 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Unions bosses live in mansions. End of argument.
Old 26 September 2011, 12:47 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I thought this kind of behaviour was confined to the public sector? I worked somewhere once where they dreamt up this nonsense that dependant on your 'rank' and I use that word loosely, determined how much floor space you were allocated, how large your desk was, how much storage space you needed.

I have worked in some horrendous offices over the last 20 years - unless you feel the effects of something yourself or someone on my team tells me they are suffering from something or other - we are all too busy to get in a fuss about this kind of crap.

Another recent one was call-outs, where I could spend the night on site on my own - apparently someone has deemed this as unsafe, and I must call someone else out to accompany me.

Whole world is loosing the plot.

Last edited by tarmac terror; 26 September 2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 26 September 2011, 01:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

I have worked in some places where the unions have been a huge asset to the whole company and some places where they have been anything but. Then again I have worked in some places where the management have been a PITA ... I think the whole problem comes when both sides dig in and try and score petty points over each other which is clearly the case here.

Thank God I don't have to deal with that crap any longer! I don't have the patience for stupidity these days as is seen by many of my posts on here

Last edited by f1_fan; 26 September 2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 26 September 2011, 01:41 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Just do a turd in the dead of night on the unions managers desk!